Check out my mobile Level 2 charging kit!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Turbo Cord in the same way. Same price, considerably smaller

http://www.amazon.com/TurboCord-Dual-Plug--Charger-Volt/dp/B00J8O1XQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407520800&sr=8-1&keywords=turbo+cord

michael said:
I use a Turbo Cord in the same way. Same price, considerably smaller

http://www.amazon.com/TurboCord-Dual-Plug--Charger-Volt/dp/B00J8O1XQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407520800&sr=8-1&keywords=turbo+cord
Yes, but also considerably less powerful (for the same price).

The unit on special at EVSEUpgrades can output up to 6 kW when running on 240V. At that rate, it can fully charge an FFE in just under 4 hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the TurboCord can only output a maximum 3.3 kW when running on 240V. At that rate, it will take well over 6 hours to fully charge an FFE.

That's correct. The advantage is size and the fact that it will work safely on 15 and 20 A circuits. More capacity would be a welcome advantage.

cwstnsko said:
It is possibly the most versatile, portable EVSE, other than the Jesla unit.
Well, take a look at the Juicebox unit. That is a 120/240 volt unit also. It needs to be set internally if you are using lower amps on 240, also. And for a 30 - 60 amp unit, it is a heck of lot cheaper. http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit

unplugged said:
cwstnsko said:
It is possibly the most versatile, portable EVSE, other than the Jesla unit.
Well, take a look at the Juicebox unit. That is a 120/240 volt unit also. It needs to be set internally if you are using lower amps on 240, also. And for a 30 - 60 amp unit, it is a heck of lot cheaper. http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit

WARNING, the unit you are referring to is not rated by UL or anybody else. Most local city codes do not permit a non UL listed device to be installed and a building permit is required. Should you have a fire or sell the house, big problem for you.

evnut said:
WARNING, the unit you are referring to is not rated by UL or anybody else. Most local city codes do not permit a non UL listed device to be installed and a building permit is required. Should you have a fire or sell the house, big problem for you.
Not yet, from the EMW website:
Q: Is JuiceBox UL certified?
A: The units are designed to meet UL but have not been third-party certified yet. We are going through the certification process now, with expected timing of 3-4 months.
Don't know when the FAQ was written though.

evnut said:
Since the unit is a plug-in and not hardwired, permits and selling the house are only relative to the 240 volt outlet, not the unit itself. (Of course, because you can easily remove the unit.)

But you are right that the unit is not UL rated.

I posted this in our camping thread but it's probably more appropriate to the discussion here.

ElSupreme said:
That is a NEMA 14-50 or the far left (50A 240VAC). And a TT-30 (30A 120VAC) in the middle. They are standard RV plugs. If you look that matches the breakers in the panel as well.
I'm trying to find an adapter that would work for future trips like this. My parents' EVSE is the Leviton EVB22. It has a 6-20 plug. For a future camping trip they would allow us to borrow it for a few days and they could use their 120V charger for a few days. I've searched online but haven't found any adapters which would allow us to use this EVSE at a campground or other location with a 14-50 outlet. Can anyone point me to such an adapter? Thanks!

hybridbear said:
I posted this in our camping thread but it's probably more appropriate to the discussion here.

ElSupreme said:
That is a NEMA 14-50 or the far left (50A 240VAC). And a TT-30 (30A 120VAC) in the middle. They are standard RV plugs. If you look that matches the breakers in the panel as well.
I'm trying to find an adapter that would work for future trips like this. My parents' EVSE is the Leviton EVB22. It has a 6-20 plug. For a future camping trip they would allow us to borrow it for a few days and they could use their 120V charger for a few days. I've searched online but haven't found any adapters which would allow us to use this EVSE at a campground or other location with a 14-50 outlet. Can anyone point me to such an adapter? Thanks!

The folks at EVSE adapters will make you one if you email them, or you can make it yourself.

sefs said:
hybridbear said:

ElSupreme said:

The folks at EVSE adapters will make you one if you email them, or you can make it yourself.
What would I need to make it myself in terms of wires? I imagine that Menards or Home Depot would stock the plug & receptacle that I'd need. Also, the 14-50 has four prongs while the 6-20 only has 3... How would that work for wiring?

About a foot of SJOOW or SOOW 12/3 awg cable. You can get it from the hardware store. The neutral pin from the 14-50 won't hook up to anything (it is the top pin opposite the round ground pin). In fact, if you get the configurable 14-50/14-30 from the hardware store you don't have to install the neutral pin and you can use it on a 14-30 outlet as well as a 14-50. The ground goes to ground, and the two line connections can go to either side.

sefs said:
About a foot of SJOOW or SOOW 12/3 awg cable. You can get it from the hardware store. The neutral pin from the 14-50 won't hook up to anything (it is the top pin opposite the round ground pin). In fact, if you get the configurable 14-50/14-30 from the hardware store you don't have to install the neutral pin and you can use it on a 14-30 outlet as well as a 14-50. The ground goes to ground, and the two line connections can go to either side.
So the neutral isn't used by the EVSE? Thanks for the great information :)

I handled this by buying a replacement dryer cord. It included the plug and a short length of cord pre assembled. Then I added a socket of my choice on the free end.

As a hint....cut off the neutral pin of either a 14-30 or 14-50 plug and it will fit equally well into either type of socket. As stated above, neutral not needed for EV applications.

If anyone wants a quick solution, I went with http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25 with a bunch of adapters. This unit charges at 25 amps so pretty close to the FFE's max. And it's compact so you'll be able to take a portable L1 and L2 charger and get topped off at nearly any outlet.

Olagon said:
If anyone wants a quick solution, I went with http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25 with a bunch of adapters. This unit charges at 25 amps so pretty close to the FFE's max. And it's compact so you'll be able to take a portable L1 and L2 charger and get topped off at nearly any outlet.
Actually, I think that charger (assuming you have the appropriate adapter) can work off either 120V or 240V so you don't even need to drag around another L1 EVSE. That one does it all.

WattsUp said:
Olagon said:
Actually, I think that charger (assuming you have the appropriate adapter) can work off either 120V or 240V so you don't even need to drag around another L1 EVSE. That one does it all.

Yes it does. I only have this one charger for both L1 and L2.

sefs said:
I bought the 6-20R and 14-50/14-30P at Menards last week. They only sell SOOW 12/3 cable in packages of 5 ft or longer. I asked if they knew where I could buy it by the foot and they said Home Depot. I called Home Depot over the weekend and they said they only sell it in packages starting at 5 ft minimum.

Does anyone have any ideas of where I could buy this type of cable in bulk to buy only 1 foot and not the 5 ft that Menards sells? I haven't tried a local hardware store yet but that would be my next guess. Maybe a Fastenal type store would have it? What do you think? Thanks!!

Back