CHAdeMO Mod

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephus

Love our Candy Blue 2013 FFE so much I'm interested in custom installing a CHAdeMO port. Somebody knows how to install a fast charge port. Any word on who or where or how much?

Josephus said:
Love our Candy Blue 2013 FFE so much I'm interested in custom installing a CHAdeMO port. Somebody knows how to install a fast charge port. Any word on who or where or how much?
"One does not simply walk into Mordor." ;) Sorry... couldn't resist. I mean, you can't "just" install a CHAdeMO port. It's not the physical port that's so much important, it's the charger and other support systems in the car, indeed the very design of those systems, very likely including the battery itself.

The charger in the FFE is designed to charge at a maximum rate of 6.6 kW, using AC input current. Presumably, the cooling system has only been designed to support charging in this manner. Converting the FFE to support CHAdeMO would mean replacing the charger, the cooling system, and perhaps even the battery. Not to mention reprogramming the battery management software.

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Ford itself to create an FFE that sports a CHAdeMO port.

WattsUp said:
I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Ford itself to create an FFE that sports a CHAdeMO port.

Which is unlikely since Ford has stated that they will be supporting the "frankenplug".
society-of-automotive-engineers-sae-j-1772-combo-electric-car-charging-plug_100359341_m.jpg

(Unless the European FFE will get a CHAdeMO port and the US will get the frankenplug)

Josephus said:
Makes me wonder what outragious price the Japaness are "charging" automakers to use their standard. Or maybe we'll all jump ship when the Tesla Gen III comes out.

I assume you mean the CHAdeMO standard supported by Nissan Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors and Toyota. I think the combo standard is an easier plug because it doesn't require two ports on the EV, but that doesn't explain the hate for CHAdeMO. Also, the combo plug uses the J1772 communication protocol that was already established. (And it's easier to say.)

The combo standard is supported by General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Volkswagen Group (Audi, Porsche) and BMW (Mini, Rolls Royce) and also Mercedes and Chrysler.

The question I keep reading is why was the Japanese standard thrown out by SAE and the big four? I don't think it was royalties because the power company in Japan was the entity who devised the standard. (As far as I've read.) Did the other companies just want to slow down Nissan? Was it technical or political?

Compared: (This is all one URL!)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CHAdeMO-and-SAE-plugs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://insideevs.com/chademo-quick-charge-continues-to-grow-in-2012-will-double-in-2013/&h=266&w=500&sz=33&tbnid=XrAfNl8diYuWEM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=123&zoom=1&usg=__b64jXYZFwGkRZuQbC5oldkVetgE=&docid=YiiD2tPKU_hgwM&sa=X&ei=f7EJUsyXL6qT2gWrn4GgBA&ved=0CE4Q9QEwCQ&dur=7#imgdii=XrAfNl8diYuWEM%3A%3BxmeMpZI4fnSnjM%3BXrAfNl8diYuWEM%3A

We should see the Combo Charger availability for the Focus Electric with the MY2015 refresh. Ford's agreement was that they Combo Charger would be available in 2014.

If Ford continues with just the one loaded model of the Focus Electric, the Combo Charger should be standard.

Back