200 miles on a single charge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klusters

Hi all,

I noticed on myfordmobile that 3 or so drivers have gotten 200 miles out of a charge. Any one on here one of those talented few? What was your Wh/mile? Seems as if you would need to get below 100Wh/mile to pull it off.

I saw this as well and assumed that there must be a way to game the system into thinking that multiple charge sessions should be figured into the single charge mileage. With as many bugs as I have seen in Ford's software, I would not be surprised. The Chevy Volt can be similarly tricked.

Maybe it can be done realistically in warmer weather conditions. When its 40 degrees outside, I have no problem hitting 170 or so Wh/miles. That could potentially allow me to reach around 120 miles on a single charge. I haven't had the car long enough to drive it in warmer weather, but perhaps 60-70 degrees and some hypermiling would let you hit that magical 200 mile mark.

Still amazing to me that in this car with its weight and battery size I can get to 100 miles on a charge with little effort in freezing temps.

The Leaf can be tricked easily because on the startup screen you have the option to accept or decline having the trip info sent to carwings (Nissans version of myfordmobile). So a driver could send info for a road that has say a long, steep incline. Shut the car off at the end , turn it back on and decline trip info sharing.

How could one game the system in the Volt?

The gaming that I have seen with some Volt drivers is not equivalent to the single charge range discussed here.

The Voltstats.net site tracks the drivers with the highest number of miles driven without gas. The high achievers of this metric game the Volt software by only allowing the car to do the once per 6 weeks engine maintenance runs with the car in park. This fools the software into not counting the gasoline run in the miles tracked and the "all electric" streak continues.

My wife has been driving our Volt for too long, so I may be incorrectly recalling the details on Volt charging. I was thinking that if you did not fully charge the Volt battery and then take another drive the car tracks both (or multiple) partial charge events as a single one inflating the miles per charge.

klusters said:
Maybe it can be done realistically in warmer weather conditions. When its 40 degrees outside, I have no problem hitting 170 or so Wh/miles. That could potentially allow me to reach around 120 miles on a single charge. I haven't had the car long enough to drive it in warmer weather, but perhaps 60-70 degrees and some hypermiling would let you hit that magical 200 mile mark.

Still amazing to me that in this car with its weight and battery size I can get to 100 miles on a charge with little effort in freezing temps.

It is definitely possible to go over 120 miles with the Focus electric when the conditions are right. See this thread where one of the posters from Quebec did 128 miles using 18.8kW.

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=663

Thanks, yes i remember reading that post. He averaged about 140 miles/kw which is impressive. I can see being able to do that over the course of a long drive. But to get to over 200 miles you would need to average somewhere below 100 miles/kw .. .

How does a person go about getting 100 miles per charge when it's 40° outside? Do you just leave the climate control OFF the whole time. I just can't imagine NEVER using the defrosters here in Washington.

Thanks.

Back