1st month of ownership, drove 1137 miles, spent $12.26

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elektra

I drove for the FFE 1137 miles during the first month. Used a total of 310.8 kWh. About 983 of those miles were charged at home, so I used about 269 kWh. Since it's about 80% efficiency to charge, that equals 336 kWh. My electric rate for April was $0.0365 per kWh, so I have spent $12.26 last month to charge the FFE. Too bad my electric rate will go up to about $0.105 per kWh in June. My rate is so low because I get a $55 credit each month I use less than 1000 kWh.

The average cost of regular unleaded in my area is $2.30 in April. I spent an equivalent of 5.33 gallons of gasoline. 983 miles / 5.33 gallons = 184 miles per gallon. :D

Love the car so far. The only complaints I have are:
1. Rear doors need a lot of force to shut. The front doors take less force.
2. Physical buttons for the radio don't always work.
2. Tires don't have very good traction, but that's because they're LRR tires. I wonder if the highly rated Pirelli Cinturato P7 and Continental PureContact LRR tires have better grip?

The tires give out when turning at 40mph or higher. My Camry turns without squeals at even faster speeds. Sad huh?

The FFE has a 51% of the weight on the front wheels, with 49% on the rear. This is nice when going around a turn. But a problem when accelerating from a stop, because the weight will shift off the front tires. This reduces the grip the front tires have.

Elektra said:
I drove for the FFE 1137 miles during the first month. Used a total of 310.8 kWh. About 983 of those miles were charged at home, so I used about 269 kWh. Since it's about 80% efficiency to charge, that equals 336 kWh. My electric rate for April was $0.0365 per kWh, so I have spent $12.26 last month to charge the FFE. Too bad my electric rate will go up to about $0.105 per kWh in June. My rate is so low because I get a $55 credit each month I use less than 1000 kWh.

The average cost of regular unleaded in my area is $2.30 in April. I spent an equivalent of 5.33 gallons of gasoline. 983 miles / 5.33 gallons = 184 miles per gallon. :D

Wow!! I wish my electricity was this inexpensive. At the lowest tier, I'm paying about $0.11 per kWh; I figure later in the summer when I've been running my A/C a lot, I'm going to be up above $0.30 per kWh. Of course, gas is a lot more expensive here as well; right now regular unleaded is running about $3.50 per gallon. The joys of getting to live in Southern California, I guess!!

Keith

campfamily said:
Wow!! I wish my electricity was this inexpensive. At the lowest tier, I'm paying about $0.11 per kWh; I figure later in the summer when I've been running my A/C a lot, I'm going to be up above $0.30 per kWh. Of course, gas is a lot more expensive here as well; right now regular unleaded is running about $3.50 per gallon. The joys of getting to live in Southern California, I guess!!

Keith

Keith, you should look into a "time of use" rate. Should save you $$$$.

Electra, enjoy the savings, just try not to annoy your friends telling them how much you pay to drive your car. :)

FFEsquared said:
campfamily said:

Keith

Keith, you should look into a "time of use" rate. Should save you $$$$.

We did look into the TOD plans that SCE offers us, and the cost to charge at the cheapest rate would be 11 cents per kWhr, no matter how much electricity I used that month. However, during peak times (2 pm to 8 pm), we would be paying 36 cents during the winter, and 46 cents during the summer. My wife runs a business out of our house (she is a CPA), so she is home all day, and would be running the A/C, computer, etc. during those times. When we did the math, staying on the standard residential tier program made the most sense.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!! I'm still saving considerably over driving my other car, which on a good day will get 20 mpg (and requires premium fuel).

Keith

campfamily said:
We did look into the TOD plans that SCE offers us, and the cost to charge at the cheapest rate would be 11 cents per kWhr, no matter how much electricity I used that month. However, during peak times (2 pm to 8 pm), we would be paying 36 cents during the winter, and 46 cents during the summer. My wife runs a business out of our house (she is a CPA), so she is home all day, and would be running the A/C, computer, etc. during those times. When we did the math, staying on the standard residential tier program made the most sense.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!! I'm still saving considerably over driving my other car, which on a good day will get 20 mpg (and requires premium fuel).

Keith

Indeed - those TOD rates are only good if nobody is home during the day all week in the summer.
Otherwise A/C use in the day during the summer will be way too expensive and easily swamp any small savings at night.

brogult said:
When we did the math, staying on the standard residential tier program made the most sense.

You are a perfect candidate for solar.

Actually looking in to that now. My house is situated perfectly for solar, with a large southern facing roof without any trees or other things blocking the sun. When we looked at it a couple of years ago, the break even point was over 10 years, which just didn't make sense to me. I know system prices have come down and efficiencies are up, so will be interesting to see what they can come up with now.

Keith

Another option with SCE is a dedicated car charging meter. Unfortunately, the return on investment is probably a little long.

When we looked at it a couple of years ago, the break even point was over 10 years

The cost of the system is the most important variable--and the one thing that the solar installers don't want you to consider as a variable. System costs have come down, and the bulk of that has been a reduction in installer profit margin. The equipment costs have also come down, but not so drastically in the past 4-5 years.

Our system worked out to a 5 year payback period on an estimated $3K/year electric bill. I had quotes (before credits) of $24K to $45K. I'd call that "variable"! 30 panels w/Enphase microinverters installed on a composite roof gives me a zero bill even after charging the car, although it wasn't zero until the new TOU-D-A rates came out. Good luck and shop mercilessly.

Back