scottt
Site Moderator

Ford Dealerships update/upgrade their chargers

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 am

Has anyone's Ford dealership upgraded their chargers to support the fast charging available in the 2017 and up FFE's?

Just curious.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

spirilis

Re: Ford Dealerships update/upgrade their chargers

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:56 am

scottt wrote:Has anyone's Ford dealership upgraded their chargers to support the fast charging available in the 2017 and up FFE's?

Just curious.
I've not seen it. I seriously doubt they would. DC Fast Charging is expensive to implement and for the most part, dealers have their EVs sitting around for extended periods of time... so Level 2 charging suits them just fine.

I did see a Nissan dealer with a CHAdeMO charger, but they had quite a few Leafs in stock.

Maybe once Ford starts selling BEVs at the rate Nissan does, they'll start buying SAE Combo chargers for their dealers.
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

jmueller065

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:08 am

spirilis wrote:I've not seen it. I seriously doubt they would. DC Fast Charging is expensive to implement and for the most part, dealers have their EVs sitting around for extended periods of time... so Level 2 charging suits them just fine.

I did see a Nissan dealer with a CHAdeMO charger, but they had quite a few Leafs in stock.

Maybe once Ford starts selling BEVs at the rate Nissan does, they'll start buying SAE Combo chargers for their dealers.
Ford doesn't buy anything for the dealers: The dealers have to purchase the stuff on their own.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Pearl

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 am

jmueller065 wrote: Ford doesn't buy anything for the dealers: The dealers have to purchase the stuff on their own.
True. Yet to be an EV certified dealer, currently they are required to have two level 2 EVSEs. One in service and one on the building.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

jmueller065

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 am

Pearl wrote: True. Yet to be an EV certified dealer, currently they are required to have two level 2 EVSEs. One in service and one on the building.
Ford requires a lot of their dealers and provides nothing without a price. Notice that a lot of dealers have been going through some "improvements" lately? Think Ford paid for that? (no) Think Ford required that? (yes)
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Texas FFE

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:00 am

Chevrolet required all dealerships that were certified to sale and service the Bolt EV to purchase and install 25 kW CCS chargers. Most of those chargers are still sitting on the floor in the service areas. I haven't heard anything about Ford requiring their certified dealers to do the same but maybe when Ford starts selling a higher volume EV they will require the dealerships to install CCS chargers, to check out the DCFC performance of the cars if for nothing else.
2017 Blue Candy FFE
2015 Teutonic Silver Fusion Energi Titanium w/Adaptive Cruise Control
2004 White GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD

Pearl

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am

Texas FFE wrote:Chevrolet required all dealerships that were certified to sale and service the Bolt EV to purchase and install 25 kW CCS chargers. Most of those chargers are still sitting on the floor in the service areas. I haven't heard anything about Ford requiring their certified dealers to do the same but maybe when Ford starts selling a higher volume EV they will require the dealerships to install CCS chargers, to check out the DCFC performance of the cars if for nothing else.
A Chevy dealer near me just installed a level 2 EVSE, and its only rated at 3600W. Half what is needed for the Bolt's onboard 7.2kW charger. dumb.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”