Step down amps from Car?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy294ss

I am looking to purchase a used 2013 here in Canada.

My work place has a 20amp 240 socket available near the front of building and its sole purpose is to service an older large air conditioner which will not be used during cooler and winter months.

However, this is an older building and it may not have been wired with the proper size conductors. This will be checked out if I officially get the car.

Is there the ability to step down the the current draw through menus in the car itself.
i.e. could I limit it to 12amps at 240?

Look forward to completing my purchase, and will have more questions no doubt.
Although my own review of past postings has answered most of them.

Cheers,
/Chris
Vancouver BC Canada

No, however there are a few EVSE's available that let you set the amount of current used (namely the Juicebox).

Or you could go with the Clipper Creek LCS-20:
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-20-level-2/

Right, it is actually the EVSE that determines how much current is available to the car. The car then determines how much it will actually draw (equal to less than what is offered), but the EVSE is always in control of the maximum level of current drawn from the wall.

Realize that the EVSE and car have a "conversation" before any power is delivered, and constant ongoing conversation while the power is delivered. The EVSE is not just a simple "wall wart" for the car, it communicates with the car to decide upon, control, and monitor the flow of electricity.

EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply/Service Equipment

Aerovironment Turbo Cord limits current to 15 Amps.

If your outlet is intended for an air conditioner, it's quite likely a 6-20, the Turbo Cord plugs in directly if so.

michael said:
Aerovironment Turbo Cord limits current to 15 Amps.

If your outlet is intended for an air conditioner, it's quite likely a 6-20, the Turbo Cord plugs in directly if so.

Thank you for the input.
The air conditioning unit at work actually has a 6-30 plug
However, I will get an electrician to check out the breaker and conductor sizing.
It's an old enough building, maybe 30 years old.
The breaker in the pannel doesn't have the amperage indicated on the exposed portion. It looks as old as the building.

I'll go for a Clipper 25p or the aforementioned Turbo Cord.
I already have a dedicated 6-30 receptacle in garage which services a lift.

Haven't finished negotiating the deal with the car.
It's getting a new seat motor or something.
I'll let you all know when it happens.
Cheers
Chris

If it's a 6-30 the it's supposed to have a 30 A breaker, as I'm sure you know. Even if it's an old building, I'd certainly hope the wiring is capable of that or at least close.

Back