St Owner looking for FFE tail lights

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theogenemills

Hey guys fellow focus lover here....just of a different variety! My poor ST was recently molested in a parking lot while I was inside and now I need to replace a tail lamp. I really like y'all's tails with the LED strip so I'm wondering if by some chance someone has a set for sale. Also let me know if y'all have an ST compatibility questions I can help answer...I have a friend in the parts dept ;)

Don't have one, but I know of a car that just sold at auction that does happen to have two perfect tail lights. If you can track down the buyer, something tells me he would be happy to sell you those tail lights.

http://www.qcsadirect.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1170076&secid=2&trc=5&ai=&rn=&vt=&st=&fa=&ad=&ati=&pd=&sc=&mk=25&mdl=Focus&yf=2013&yt=2013&mz=50&z=60025&pg=1&tpg=&rcppg=&vtg=&fts=&so=5&bn=0&d=6780bd5fe8da49f28ad320554a371084#6687f375b5e4431fa85bc1364232ed70

This is a Ford Focus 2013 BEV sold in Bartlett, IL.

Interesting. I would love to get a hold of one of the batteries and see if there would be any way to retrofit it into the system to gain extra range. I'm sure it would be more trouble than it's worth but interesting none the less. :)

Astrand1 said:
Interesting. I would love to get a hold of one of the batteries and see if there would be any way to retrofit it into the system to gain extra range. I'm sure it would be more trouble than it's worth but interesting none the less. :)
For $5k, and less than 1k miles, I'd buy it just for the spare battery! Or anything else that might ware out or go wrong. But alas, I don't have a place to park it :) Maybe I could figure out how to make my own battery swap station or, like you, find a way to put it in for some extended range....but yeah, likely more trouble than it is worth. At best, it would have to be something like a truck that has 2 gas tanks. You'd have to switch from one battery to the other. I'm sure the charging system has extra connections into the battery to ensure all the cells are "balanced." Simply putting the battery in parallel might work when discharging, but not on the recharge. But honestly, I don't know.

Well sadly the company said they could not give out user info. I thought about signing up to see if there was another way to contact "Alpine500" but they require a subscription. I found out a bit of interesting info, I'll paste it from the Focus ST forums.

I believe I may just have uncovered something today that I haven't seen mentioned before. As with many other members I really like the led tails but the price difference is just crazy vs our stock ones. Well I had my cracked tail light in my hands today and noticed a couple things, first off the area where the E-Foci's led strip looked pretty identical to our stock one and the strip looked like it was removable! Check it out

That strip had a seam at the end leading me to believe it was a separate piece.
urudu6uv.jpg

Backside if the housing had two T25 torx screws that looked like it would allow the strip to separate from the housing
8a4ema9y.jpg

Since my housing was already cracked I removed a large section of lens to get at the strip
uge4uzah.jpg

Torx removed and the strip comes right out
7y8uhyte.jpg

munetagu.jpg

So here's where I'm at and I believe the collective knowledge of this place can probably help figure out the next two issues. The first and most important being how to remove the lens safely and not causing any damage. This housing is not like the headlights I've baked, the lens and housing almost seem bonded together so I'm all ears. I've tried a heat gun and baking it to no avail. Next question, how do we get our hands on the OEM led strip that gets put into the E-Focus as well as the Euro models? The back of the housing has FOMOCO's stamping on it but I'm sure it's contracted out right? I've tracked down component manufacturers before, why can't we do it with this? I know it wouldn't be hard to get an aftermarket led flex bar and stick it in there but that seems too easy....I like the hard way lol. I'm all ears guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you couldn't get the buyer information. If I happen to figure out where the car goes, I'll let you know.

Have you checked Tousley Ford (or that national parts site) for the LED strip? Something tells me that part can be purchased by itself. They've got those exploded diagrams on the body parts pages.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Well I see the LED strip is not available by itself. The tail lamp assembly is available for $284.77 minus $50.00 core return, or $179.40 each.

Ive come to the conclusion that it really isn't possible to order just the strip so I ended up just ordering a set from Tousley. The confirmed part numbers I ordered that I know for a fact are correct are CM5Z13405B - Left and CM5Z13404B - Right. Something we realized while ordering is that the 2013 FFE uses a different part number, do yall know if there is an actual difference? The price was a decent bit cheaper, part numbers where DM5Z13405B/DM5Z13404B. I've got 45 minutes to research and possibly change my order!

Just for a bit of input. The taillights are not easy to open at all. Not experience on this car, but on most I've done it is a b**** to get it done clean. The permaseal that is used can be very problematic and half the time if you try to heat them up you end up warping the plastic. Honestly the led bars in our lights are slightly visible. When you get the new lights see what you can do with them. If you want a nice bright bar get the xled bars from TRS and throw them in there. Practice with your old light and see if there is a good way to get some in there. Those things are much brighter and then could actually be seen during times other than the night.

Back