Spare tire

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarGuy123

Does anyone know if a spare tire and jack are available for the Focus Electric? Will those from the gasoline Focus work? Will they fit in the Electric's trunk? I've e-mailed Ford about this, but their response wasn't helpful at all -- they suggested contacting a dealer, of which there are none yet here in Indiana.

For me, the lack of a spare tire is a deal-breaker. In the past couple of years, we've had two tires damaged badly enough (one due to road debris, the other due to a pothole) that a tire repair kit such as the one supplied with the Focus Electric would have been worthless. I'm simply not prepared to risk being stranded somewhere and having to call a tow truck just because of a flat tire.

A spare tire would fit in the hatch area. However, it would take up a significant portion of the cargo area that is already reduced by the battery. You would need to come up with a way to secure the spare tire in the cargo area either horizontally on top of the cargo organizer or vertically in place of the cargo organizer. They make tire covers for spare tires that may also help and provide a means to secure it.

Fluke said:
A spare tire would fit in the hatch area. However, it would take up a significant portion of the cargo area that is already reduced by the battery. You would need to come up with a way to secure the spare tire in the cargo area either horizontally on top of the cargo organizer or vertically in place of the cargo organizer. They make tire covers for spare tires that may also help and provide a means to secure it.

I was afraid that this might be the only solution. I understand that all OEM's want to reduce vehicle weight, but this seems like the wrong way to go about it. I notice that the Ford Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Hybrid, and 2013 C-MAX all lack a spare tire. Yet Toyota's Prius and Camry Hybrid have no trouble providing one.

Just a note to the above. Ford provides 5 years of complete and free roadside assistance. Not a bad trade for no spare tire.

It could be the beginning of a new era of "Continental Kits"!
Get a hitch from JC Whitney for a gas Focus and a bicycle carrier which you convert to a tire carrier
http://www.jcwhitney.com/hitch-haul-carriers/p2004437.jcwx?skuId=149664&filterid=d620y2012g2876u0j1

http://www.jcwhitney.com/curt-bumper-hitch/p3050016.jcwx?skuId=6529653&filterid=c2309d620y2012g256j5

Sounds a little bit like what led to someone building a spare tire kit for the Nissan Leaf. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=175401

What's the space under the rear of the Focus Electric look like? Perhaps there's the same space where the spare on the gasoline Focus is located, although I would guess that's where a portion of the batteries live.

Roadside assistance will handle the blowouts, but for the occasional nail/slow leak scenario, I'm considering getting a spare to keep in the garage. Either a full size on a steel rim or a compact spare from the gas Focus.

In the event of a nail in the tire, I thought having a spare in the garage may make getting it fixed more convenient.

This way I can drop off the tire to get it fixed and still use the car.

Nails in tires are pretty common around here and this might make it less of a pain.

One thing for sure: Avoid using the "Tire mobility kit" unless you really need to. The glop it shoots into the tire will wreck the tire pressure monitoring $en$or.

What do other Focus Electric owners think?

I carry a dynaplug kit and an air compressor. It's enough to fix a puncture. I refuse to use a "mobility kit."

Like it or not, spare tires are going the way of the dodo.

I'm curious what the problem is with using a tire mobility kit. Also - do you have recommendations on a good air compressor to go along with the dynaplug for keeping the car?

Thanks!

-don

I have this VIAIR 85P:

41IDKmX73YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon link: VIAIR 85P

It seems pretty well made compared to the cheap plasticy ones you often find. It's a lot faster and quieter, too.

That compressor will overload your 12V socket, so you need an adapter to clip it directly to the 12V battery under the hood:

419BAInq4SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon link: Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter

The problem with the spray fix-a-flat gunk is that it makes a real mess on the rim, and may become impossible to clean off after some time. Either way it's a pain for the tire shop and it will likely make the repair costlier. I'd only use it as a last resort.

Back