Roof Rack affect on watts / mile

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephus

Installed a Thule 480R rack using fit kit 1627 on my FEE. Lifetime summary at install is 564.5 miles with an average of 276 Wh/mi avg (3.6 miles/kWH). After another 500 miles with the rack (no box or basket) I rechecked the lifetime summary to see how detrimental the aeroblade bar induces.

At 977.1 miles the lifetime Wh/mi avg has gone down to 272! Make's me wonder if the dealer had the thing on a lot without driving before we bought it. If I'm doing the math right, this would mean I averaged about 169.58 Wh/mi after the install, which is almost 6 miles/kWh !?!?!? Something must be wrong. That's a discrepancy of 43.9 kWh of charge or $5.26.

What lifetime summaries do you have? With or without roof rack? year of vehicle and if it has the new update?

Josephus, I don't think you did the math right.
You used 156 kWh before the install (564 miles x 0.276kWh/mi).
You used 266 kWh overall (977 x 0.272)
So you used 110 kWh after the install, to drive 413 miles.
That gives you an efficiency of 266 Wh/mi after install.
Hard to make much of a conclusion from the difference since most everyone who isn't familiar with EV driving technique improves efficiency over the first thousand miles, I think.
A good test might be to now take it off and see what you get. Like jmueller suggested, use the enhanced trip recorder and reset a trip counter when you take it off.

Anyway, how does the rack fit? How easy the install? I was just pricing out the thule and a yakima yesterday, vs using a cheaper hatch bike carrier. For now I've just been taking wheels off and cramming my bike in the trunk, but would like to get a carrier.

Has any one tried installing a receiver to mount a bike rack?

I have this single carrier from 1 up (they make carriers up to 4) and it is amazing...exceptional quality. http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html

Just wondering if I can put a receiver under the FFE to use it.

It's silly for Tesla to flush mount the handles for "aerodynamics". The rack shouldn't affect the range at all. Maybe 1/2 a mile over 76 miles? I mean we're talking about a 3000lb+ car. The weight would affect the range more than the aerodynamics.

I mounted a Thule 480 square bar with 3 Fat Bike racks from Rockymount. It does make some difference aerodynamically but also the weight added is like a small person constantly riding around with you. The Bikes up there are like a boat anchor.

I am 26K into a 36K lease and I used to see my car hit 100 miles in the summer but now rarely saw 90 on the GOM. The Temps have dropped and with the heat on I'm often starting below 50 miles GOM. Still rolling without problems.

I love driving electric and then pedaling in the woods or beach, and then driving back home. Feels healthy.

Lithium said:
I am 26K into a 36K lease and I used to see my car hit 100 miles in the summer but now rarely saw 90 on the GOM.
What's your average Wh/mi?

What's your average speed (do you only drive at slower speeds)?

Back