Range Extender

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarSteve

The reason why people buy electric cars is to get away from the ICE. I would like to see a range extender w/o a gas engine so I can commute to work without wondering if I will make my 52 mile round trip in the winter. How about a range extender using a metal-air battery. Hint....http://www.phinergy.com. A 1000 mile range and only 50 pounds. This is equivalent energy density to gas. Or how about scaling it up to 3000 miles and taking it in every 3000 miles to have the plates changed. This would be like going in for an oil change. All the user has to do is add water. No wonder Tesla rules and the big 3 just don't get it. Phinergy claims they will be supplying a world car manufacturer in 2017. Could this be Tesla?
Tesla has filed patents to do so. This most likely is a lot less expensive than Li Ion. Since Li Ion batteries are climate controlled why not heat water instead to keep it from freezing so these batteries can operate in the winter. I am also concerned with Li Ion battery degradation in temperatures above 86 degrees. How does a Ford Focus with a battery inside the car maintain the battery temperature below 86 degrees on a sunny day with the windows closed where it can get up to 120 degrees in the cabin? Is there a heat pump running to chill the cooling fluid? This must use some electricity to run?

Back