Keeping car locked with remote in exterior lock box

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaluo

Anyone know if it's possible to keep the FFE locked when the remote is in a lock box attached to a door handle?

When I'm surfing, I can't carry the remote with me. The only way I've figured is to leave the remote in the car, so it will stay locked using the little physical key to lock the doors. I'm thinking about hiding the remote in an anti RF pouch so the vehicle can't be started if someone breaks in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would say hide the key fob in an anti-RF pouch somewhere inside the car, and take just the physical key with you. Test to make sure the pouch is doing its job by verifying that it disables the keyless entry functionality.

A lock-box hanging off the door-handle (I presume you mean outside the car) would seem to be just asking for trouble.

Thanks for the response. A lock box is pretty common in Hawaii, and I've yet to hear of any horror stories. Then again, if a thief wants your car bad enough...

I'll be looking for a good Anti RF holder. I know I saw something about making your own with aluminum foil and duct tape somewhere.

kmaluo - in case you haven't suspected already, these so-called "Locksmiths" smell like forum spammers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

The above crap from locksmiths are probably actions that originated from some kind of bot that looks for posts regarding locks, keys, etc, which results in a reply post that is uninformed, out of context, or completely unrelated, and of course, contains a link to a cheesy ad.

That's why the first post from the Marysville spammer was totally unrelated to your concern, and had to do with a building or home entryway rather than a car door. What a bozo.

Back