Free adapter?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inability to get a Ford NACS to CCS adapter seems, atleast to me, more to be related to the fact that they require you to get the adapter through the 'Connected Services' portion of the Fordpass or Ford website (which, for us, turns up with an error).

It does not appear there is any actual technical limitations to those of us with a 2017 - 2018 MY Focus Electric that prevents us from using the adapter, we just don't get it for free (which I also think we should've gotten it for free) and will probably have to wait until it goes on sale.

If you look at the image attached, they say we cannot order a Fast Charging Adapter. There is nothing there saying that the CCS compatible Focus Electrics have a technical limitation preventing usage of the Fast Charging Adapter.
1709246619507.png

I called Ford Support asking 'If I had an adapter, would I with my 2018 Focus Electric be able to use the Tesla network?', here's the brief answer I got:

'Focus Electric customers are not going to be able to use the network due to the required software integration advancements, unfortunately the software is not compatible with the Focus Electric, they will not be able to use the adapter or the network.'

Take this with a grain of salt, as I myself have not had too much of a reliable experience with Ford support in the past, but if this is true then yikes

I called Ford Support asking 'If I had an adapter, would I with my 2018 Focus Electric be able to use the Tesla network?', here's the brief answer I got:

'Focus Electric customers are not going to be able to use the network due to the required software integration advancements, unfortunately the software is not compatible with the Focus Electric, they will not be able to use the adapter or the network.'

Take this with a grain of salt, as I myself have not had too much of a reliable experience with Ford support in the past, but if this is true then yikes
Why am I not surprised?! 😛

The BS here is that they are weaseling out. It doesn't matter if it works or not, the CEO said that every Ford EV owner would get the adapter. No disclaimer of "if it can be used by the vehicle". No excuse that "Mr. Farley did not realize that incompatible Ford electric vehicles were still owned." When you are high up, and you make a mistake twice, you don't get off easy. Because if it was a lesser employee, they may have lost their job.

Why does "'Focus Electric customers are not going to be able to use the network due to the required software integration advancements, unfortunately the software is not compatible with the Focus Electric, they will not be able to use the adapter or the network.'" Sound like BS? Or that they are intentionally making it so that it could not be used by Focus, because they are not supporting the Focus anymore.

So Tesla is making the superchargers available to all CCS fast charging vehicles through the Magic Dock, the Tesla app is only for billing. This means that the FFE could charge on the "network".

How much you wanna bet the "adapter" that Ford was to supply is just a Magic Dock with a Ford logo on it?
Guess I have to make a stink.

I got my 2017 ffe delivered they say this went live. Was excited when I read the news because I felt it justified my purchase a little more (even though the Tesla agreement had nothing to do with my purchases decision in the first place) but after seeing how all Ford evs are not really all is kinda bullshit. I can understand not giving the adapter for free for a 7 year old car but even if I decide to buy it with my own money it still won't work for reasons that make no sense

I just bought the Lectron adapter recently, once that arrives I will confirm whether Ford support was correct lol

I do not have high hopes knowing other people have already tried to charge vehicles like Rivians or Kias with the Ford Adapter and got an error saying something along the lines of 'Unauthorized Vehicle'.
Difference though is no one has tried a Ford vehicle that is theoretically unsupported.

How much you wanna bet the "adapter" that Ford was to supply is just a Magic Dock with a Ford logo on it?
Guess I have to make a stink.
In all likelihood they want to make an adapter that only works with Ford vehicles, which means they need to communicate separate from whatever the charger side is doing. If they didn't implement that with the Focus BEV in mind, it's really easy to paint yourself into a corner. It's shitty, just noting the potential malice vs incompetence at play.

That said, they could also likely update the vehicles to fit their solution - but we've seen how well updates for new tech have gone for the Focus EV...

2017 and 2018 FFE's will definitely be able to use Superchargers with third party adapters like A2Z and Lectron, probably starting in May or June when Tesla opens them up for general usage. We will need to activate via the Tesla app and have an adapter, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is any software support needed to use the NACS adapter with an FFE.

My wife's Lightning recently got an update related to NACS charging, but it was for FordPass support to allow plug-and-charge, not for the charging itself.

I never expected to be able to use plug-and-charge with my FFE anyways (and we've never used it with the Lightning).

Has anyone here tried charging a FFE at a Tesla location with the MagicDock (or whatever they call it) unit? It's just a special adapter on the end of the cable that remains locked on the charger for those with a NACS plug on their car or remains locked on the cable for those with CCS.

When my wife's "Gift from Ford" arrives (that's what it says on the box), I plan to try it with my FFE.

Has anyone here tried charging a FFE at a Tesla location with the MagicDock (or whatever they call it) unit?
Not that I know of, none of the Tesla Superchargers around here have been upgraded with a MagicDock, and with adapters going out, I don't foresee that happening.

My Lectron adapter I ordered nearly 2 weeks ago now has not shipped yet, so I don't know when I'll be able to get around to trying it out. I'll assume I won't receive it for another several weeks, or possibly months at this point.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is any software support needed to use the NACS adapter with an FFE.

My wife's Lightning recently got an update related to NACS charging, but it was for FordPass support to allow plug-and-charge, not for the charging itself.

I never expected to be able to use plug-and-charge with my FFE anyways (and we've never used it with the Lightning).

Has anyone here tried charging a FFE at a Tesla location with the MagicDock (or whatever they call it) unit? It's just a special adapter on the end of the cable that remains locked on the charger for those with a NACS plug on their car or remains locked on the cable for those with CCS.

When my wife's "Gift from Ford" arrives (that's what it says on the box), I plan to try it with my FFE.
I have a Tesla charger with magic dock a out 40 mins from me. When I get some free time I can drive out there to check for science

I have a Tesla charger with magic dock a out 40 mins from me. When I get some free time I can drive out there to check for science
Anecdotally, the only DCFC charger I've had issues with is the Road Ranger charger with the integrated battery. They work fine with my wife's I-Pace. But I've tried it twice with the Focus and could not get it to work. I think it's a software issue. None of the other five or so charging networks I've used have had issues. I expect the Supercharrger with Magicdock will work fine as well since it's designed to support the DCFC protocol and not just specific vehicle types.

Not that I know of, none of the Tesla Superchargers around here have been upgraded with a MagicDock, and with adapters going out, I don't foresee that happening.

My Lectron adapter I ordered nearly 2 weeks ago now has not shipped yet, so I don't know when I'll be able to get around to trying it out. I'll assume I won't receive it for another several weeks, or possibly months at this point.
I charged my 2018 FFE at a Tesla Magic Dock charger with no issues. That was in October of last year. It was an expensive charge though. The charger was close to Carbondale IL. I was driving from central Illinois to Savannah Georgia. So I can assure everyone that no software updates are needed :)

I charged my 2018 FFE at a Tesla Magic Dock charger with no issues. That was in October of last year. It was an expensive charge though. The charger was close to Carbondale IL. I was driving from central Illinois to Savannah Georgia. So I can assure everyone that no software updates are needed :)

Attachments

• IMG_7979.png
    IMG_7979.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
Seems some Mach E owners have started getting the adapters. The irony in that first sentence in the package "I want to personally thank you for being part of the Ford family and for joining the Electric Vehicle revolution ahead of the curve" is a slap in the face. Must be nice not getting the shaft from Ford like 2017-2018 FFE owners get.

Attachments

• bv677wohhvsc1.jpeg
    bv677wohhvsc1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Even more so for the Ranger EV people. Sure the adapter wouldn't work for them, or the 2012-2016 FFE owners, but that ass Farley said "All Ford EV owners".

The irony in that first sentence in the package "I want to personally thank you for being part of the Ford family and for joining the Electric Vehicle revolution ahead of the curve" is a slap in the face. Must be nice not getting the shaft from Ford like 2017-2018 FFE owners get.
When this was posted in a Lightning forum, I posted this comment...

If buying an MME or Lightning is being "ahead of the curve", then buying an FFE must have been downright clairvoyant.

Someone else responded saying not clairvoyant enough to see in advance how poorly Ford would treat us.

Ain't that the truth!

Back