Anyone in Buffalo, NY??

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskeet

Were looking to lease a FFE but
1. is there anyone from buffalo, ny that have these... how are they in the snow?
2. The SSN light is scaring the crap out of my wife... we would get a 240 charger installed for the car, does that help? she drives all thruway (32 miles a day) and shes scared shes going to die.
Please help me convince her this is the right car for us.... Cause we totally fell in love when we test drove it..

I'm in Rochester 12000 miles on my FFE with no problems.

The SSN indication is like the check engine light on a regular car. As with any car things can go wrong. People have reported rats ate the insulation on wires, loose connectors, transmission problem there is no single cause.

Car drove fine all last winter - you do loose some milage in cold weather with the heater on.

Thanks for the reply! Good to hear someone owns an FFE that experiences colder weather! Our ford dealer said they have never sold one and I have never seen one in buffalo. Is the car good to drive in the winter? I will be investing in snow tires and the commute for the car will be 32 miles round trip everyday. I figured even if I run the heater sparingly I should be ok in the winter?

Do you have snow tires or drive it regularly in the winter? Do you think 32 miles is doable?

I agree that all cars have problems and the ssn is probably warning you that something is wrong with the car and to go get it fixed. My wife is worried about the car shutting down while driving. seems extreme to lose all control of the car.

Thanks again for the reply. might be signing the papers today!

danholl said:
The SSN indication is like the check engine light on a regular car. As with any car things can go wrong. People have reported rats ate the insulation on wires, loose connectors, transmission problem there is no single cause.

Car drove fine all last winter - you do loose some milage in cold weather with the heater on.

Please stop comparing "stop safely now" to "check engine". I have driven several ICE cars with the check engine light illuminated but NONE of them followed the check signal up by stalling out in mid traffic and refusing to respond to driver input! Yes, it's like "check engine" in that it can be triggered by several causes, but in other ways is not comparable, and the consequences are totally different. Perhaps referring to the collective problems people have experienced as "sudden loss of power" better reflects the seriousness of the situation. Particularly since Ford officials have expressed lack of concern regarding SSN, calling the problem sudden loss of power, freezing, stalling, etc when speaking with Ford might escalate their concern.

Anyway to original poster, if this risk of stalling makes her nervous and your current car is reliable, best to wait several months and see if any true fix comes out. If you can't afford a model S and don't live in CA, I do believe the FFE is your best current BEV option if it isn't affected by this issue. Now if the BMW i3 is offered outside CA, that might change things!

As to snow handling, I seem to be the only person who thinks it's decent with stock tires. I've only winter-driven AWD and RWD vehicles for comparison, and this vehicle predictably comes in between the two for me. Others have reported tolerable handling with snow tires. Look for older threads discussing this topic for more opinions.

I think Buffalo climate is similar to Chicago here... Maybe more lake effect snow for you? Anyway running cabin heating midwinter and keeping speeds under 60mph should allow you around 50 mile range.

You can't compare SSN to a modern car's Check Engine light. A modern car's Check Engine light ONLY lights for emissions related errors (like leaving the gas cap off). Since the FFE has no emissions there is no comparison.

You can compare SSN to an older car's Check Engine light (like pre 1980 vintage). Back then the Check Engine light meant that the engine wasn't running! LOL

My commute to work and back is also around 32 miles (depending on the route I can take as much as 40 or as low as 32). So far I've had no issues with my FFE (2500+ miles now) but then I've only had it since May and haven't experienced it with a Michigan winter.

Back