Charge fault when using value charge setting

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGarland

Most of the time there is no problem, but occasionally I get a charge fault when using the value charge setting on my FFE.

I have it set to start charing at 12:30am - usually the fault shows up on the my ford mobile app around the time I plug it in. Well before 12:30am.

I plug into a 240v / 30 amp plug in clipper Creek EVSE at home. I watched the electrician put in the NEMA 14-50 outlet on a dedicated circuit and it seemed fine.

I have never experienced this problem when the FFE was set to charge now on either 240v or 120v.

I have never tried using the value charge setting with the 120v charger that comes with the car. Maybe I should try that for a while.

Thoughts?

JohnGarland said:
Most of the time there is no problem, but occasionally I get a charge fault when using the value charge setting on my FFE.

I have it set to start charing at 12:30am - usually the fault shows up on the my ford mobile app around the time I plug it in. Well before 12:30am.
Question 1: How do you set value charging to begin at 12:30? I thought you could only buid the value charge windows to the hour level.

Question 2: Have you tried deleting that value charge profile & adding it back again? Perhaps that would fix the issue.

1: Yes sorry - I had is set at 12:00am

2: I cleared out the values at set it for 1:00am - hopefully that helps. I plugged in 1/2 hr ago and no fault on the my ford mobile app yet.

Don't worry about it--I get the charge fault all the time (got one today). Its been this way for me since I got my Level 2 EVSE over a year ago.

I have value charge set at home for every day. Occasionally within 15 minutes or so of me plugging it in I get a charge fault error. Loading up the MFM app and pressing update twice will clear it. Remember to clear it, if you don't the car won't charge.

Let me explain...its too much let me sum up: I think the left hand in the car doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Basically I think the battery module in the car thinks its time to charge but the My Ford Touch module in the dash says: "No it isn't there is a value charge setup" so you get a charge fault because the two modules disagree.

JohnGarland said:
1: Yes sorry - I had is set at 12:00am

2: I cleared out the values at set it for 1:00am - hopefully that helps. I plugged in 1/2 hr ago and no fault on the my ford mobile app yet.
Setting the charge to start at midnight seems to cause issues. Now that we have our Level 2 EVSE our car starts charging at 3:00am daily. Since usually our SOC is right near 50% at the end of the day the car is done by 5:00am.

hybridbear said:
Setting the charge to start at midnight seems to cause issues.
Its actually before midnight that causes issues (e.g. charging over midnight). Typically if you set the start before midnight and you know it will end after midnight the car will show "now" as the start time of the charge (which will be reflected in the MFM app/web) even if it doesn't start "now".

(I have mine set to start charging at 1am every day of the week.)

We also occasionally receive a charge fault notification after plugging in at home shortly after business hours where a value charge profile is configured begin charging at 1 AM.

Indeed, going into the Vehicle Locator feature of the new MyFordMobile iOS app (v3.0.50) and refreshing twice appears to have cleared the fault. Thanks for the tip.

Scott

Following-up on the charge fault issues we experienced:

Since we configured our 2015 FFE to always Charge Now (disabled Value Charge) and installed a smart switch to control when our EVSE is enabled, we haven't experienced an single charge fault.

Conclusion: Ford software is garbage. Do not use the Value Charge feature.

My value charge feature works without issue.

Charges my car from 1 to 5am when rates are dirt cheap.

Back