Where do I get a charge card from to use the pay stations

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper7821

I found some charge things online and one is Blink and the other is Charge Point and I think I can buy cards from both of them.
How do I find out which one to buy in Tucson or does one work with the other?

If the station is a ChargePoint station, you'll need a ChargePoint card, which you can order at the chargepoint.com website. Same for Blink or any other network, I would imagine.

If you drive up to a station, it should be obviously marked as to which network it belongs to. Also, the stations on each network tend to look a certain way, as they each use a particular EVSE manufacturer. Most ChargePoint stations, for example, have a "square aluminum tube" appearance, usually chest-height. I think the Blink stations (though I haven't used one) are often white boxes. An easier way to determine which kinds of stations are around you, though, is to use the mapping features available via the networks' websites/apps. Or, use a third-party website/app like plugshare.com.

Btw, you'll probably find that a lot of stations are actually free to use, but you just need a membership card to activate them. In the worst case (if you forgot your card or the station isn't recognizing it) you can just call the network up, give them your membership info, and they can remotely activate the station.

WattsUp hit the high points. Here's my $0.02:

1. Go to plugshare.com first, type in your city.

2. Figure out which stations you will most likely use, and ones for emergency.

3. Sign up for the networks that cover the stations identified above.

I signed up for Blink as a backup, and Chargepoint as a prime since Chargepoint is what my employer installed at work. Possible disadvantage to Chargepoint is that you have to put in a $25 deposit - it's not a fee, it goes directly into your account, so if you plan on being a regular user it's not a big deal. Blink does not require an initial deposit, and it's free to sign up right now. They accumulate your charges and bill monthly for usage.

I like Chargepoint because they have an available keyfob card, Blink does not. Both companies take about a week to send you a card, and the cards are free (replacements are not). Until you get the card, you can just dial the phone # on the station, give them your membership # or credit card info, and they'll set you up. It's a pain in the butt, though... much easier to just flash the card in front of the station when you finally get it.

If you decide to go with Chargepoint, I strongly suggest downloading their app to your phone and signing up through that, rather than signing up on the website... Signing up using the app will allow you to immediately start using the app to activate a station. If you sign up on the website, you will have to talk to a live person to activate a station, and as mentioned above it's a pain.

Charge Point and Blink are trying to make it possible to use each others cards on thier networks. This is an on going project that should be done later this year. Both companies have apps for Apple and Android based smart phones. These apps will help you find charging stations, and tell you if it's in use. It can also tell you what fees are charged.
:arrow: https://na.chargepoint.com/home
coulomb-chargepoint-ct2101-dual-ev-charging-station-bollard.jpg

:arrow: http://www.blinknetwork.com/
featured1

There are 4 major networks, the other two networks not mentioned is GE WattStation and SemaCharge. GE you purchase the card on Amazon and then add it to your account. Semacharge directly from their site.

Thanks.
I signed up for Blink and Chargepoint.
But there's only two Chargepoint stations in Tucson and all the rest are Blink.
So I may try and cancel and get my $25 back.
Honestly I'm getting great mileage I really dont see a reason I'd ever need to stop at a station anyways.
During the week on my 64 mile commute I get home with 15-20 mile range and that's plenty to go out to dinner and run errands.
And on the weekend I never use the total range per day so I just charge every night and I'm fine.
There's only some free stations and their at book stores or libraries and I dont want to sit there for a few hours on the weekend to get free juice.

Back