What is different from the model 2012 to 2013 and 2014 plz

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuuk1

i just recently visited my ford dealer and he was advising me to buy a Focus ev 2012 model year since i would save $3,000 dollars from a 2013 model and an additional $2,500 from the 2014 model.

the 2012 was made dec 12, 2012 and delivered to the dealer in march 2013, and is still new never plated.

My question is should i buy the 2012? Are there significant changes in the 2013 and 2014, i dont mind paying a bit more if there are important changes in the model years.

some advice would be very welcomed as i would like to buy my new EV soon.

The 2012 has the homelink visor, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and electrochromatic rear-view mirror.

I have the 2012, and I think the only thing I really use is the homelink visor for my garage door controls. I don't think I really care about the electrochromatic mirror. The rain-sensing wipers are nice, but I don't see much advantage to them as I would just regular intermittent wipers.

Although I am suprised that a 2012 was manufactured in December of 2012 as that is when I bought my 2012 and the 2013 models were already out. Anyway, one thing to note is if the 2012 were used as a demo model, then the warranty has already started. I don't know if they would ratchet the start date to the manufacture or delivery date, but it would be worth asking about; however, I'm sure an extended warranty could be purchased with the savings you'll get. You might also loose out a bit in resale value depending on how long you intend to keep the car.

Other than that, there is no difference in the vehicle itself that I know of...other than the date.

Since the EV was never plated, ford is giving me the warranty from the day i pick it up.

I have not test driven it yet, will i like the difference in the electric over the gas version? How do you like the drive?

If you've never driven an electric car before, the first time you take it out on the freeway and hit the accelerator, you will giggle a little inside. And, after a while, the world outside your windshield, full of smelly, smoking, petrol-burning jelopies will suddenly seem quaint, if not a bit old-fashioned. You will pity them.

"And, after a while, the world outside your windshield, full of smelly, smoking, petrol-burning jelopies will suddenly seem quaint, if not a bit old-fashioned. You will pity them"

WattsUp, Bravo!!!

nuuk1 said:
the 2012 was made dec 12, 2012 and delivered to the dealer in march 2013, and is still new never plated.
You can find out exactly when the car was manufactured by looking on the sticker. It is listed at the bottom. The last typed line at the very end. I really doubt that the car was manufactured in December and delivered in March. No manufacturer takes three months to deliver a car, even from Japan, let alone Michigan. I would find out the manufactured date and then add about two weeks for delivery.

Taking a car that has been sitting on the lot for at least 10 months is a personal choice. My car was manufactured in March 2013, and purchased almost two months later. I was amazed at the poor condition of the paint after not even two months of sitting on the lot. I had to clay treat the paint in order to remove the grit and grime. Depending on the climate, you may want to really examine the condition of the paint.

Another issue is to look at the difference in depreciation between the '12 and the '14. If you're going to keep it for five plus years, then it probably doesn't make much of a difference. But be aware of the depreciation.

By the way. I agree with the comment that a 12/12 manufactured date doesn't seem like it should be a 2012 car. It should be a 2013. Does anyone have any info on what date they had the yearly model changeover? Usually, the changeover occurs in September or October of the previous year.

I did see the manufactures date and can confirm it was dec of 2012. Trust me i found that weird as well.
Tomorrow i plan on test driving the car, it has leather seats and Ice Storm color. I dont plan to get rid of it before 5 years, and maybe never since my son is starting to drive so i might as well bring him up electric :)

So it really still come down to any option differences, do i buy a 2013 or 2014 for the option differences. if they are really major then i can consider them, but minor stuff doesnt really matter, does anyone know of any solid upgrades over the years.

I really hope i feel the excitement tomorrow of the EV euphoria, it will make me sign asap. :0

Looking forward to finally kissing away to the gas monsters that are ruining the world.
Hope all goes well tomorrow.

thx everyone for your input, hope to meet you as an owner member soon!

nuuk1 said:
I did see the manufactures date and can confirm it was dec of 2012...it has leather seats and Ice Storm color.

So it really still come down to any option differences, do i buy a 2013 or 2014 for the option differences. if they are really major then i can consider them, but minor stuff doesnt really matter, does anyone know of any solid upgrades over the years.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but between the manufacture date and the color, this is definitely a 2013. My 2013 was built in October 2012. I am not an automobile manufacturing expert but if there is one factory making FFEs, I can't see them starting to put out 2013's then going back to a few 2012's. And 2012's didn't have Ice Storm as a color option. They offered a very similar but not identical color of Frosted Glass.
I guess you could also look inside- is there a homelink visor? Can you set wipers to automatic? If no, it isn't a 2012.
But if the dealer's giving you an extra discount because he thinks it's a 2012, go ahead and let him think that!

Anyway, as to your main question, there have been zero upgrades over the model years. Only downgrades, however minor- the aforementioned wipers and homelink on the 2012, no longer present on 2013 or 14. No difference b/w 13 and 14. Over the 3 model years, same battery, same motor, same power/torque specs, same range guesses, same heating system, same sound system.
I assume all units at your dealer would have the most current MyFord Touch software, and that all would have the few TSBs that have come out completed. I would ask to make sure- particularly the most recent TSB which is supposed to address the model's uncommon unpredictable tendency to suddenly lose power and tell the driver to Stop Safely Now.

dmen said:
Anyway, as to your main question, there have been zero upgrades over the model years. Only downgrades, however minor- the aforementioned wipers and homelink on the 2012, no longer present on 2013 or 14.
Are you sure? Our 2014 has the rain-sensing wipers. Not sure about Homelink.

hcsharp said:
dmen said:

Apparently not as sure as you!
Rain-sensing wipers aren't listed on the full features list for the 2014 model. Not standard, not an option. Are they a stealth bonus?

hcsharp said:
Wipers

There is an optical sensor for the rain-sensing wipers. It is located near the rear view mirror, at the bottom of a long sun tint "dot matrix" window pattern that extends down about a foot from the top of the glass. The 2013 and 2014 models don't have this extended section of tint, only the 2012.

So, does your 2014 have the extended tint with the little optical sensor visible near the bottom of it? If no, then you don't have rain-sensing wipers. Or, if it does, then possibly you don't really have a 2014 model? :?

HomeLink

If your driver's side sun visor has three black buttons on it (they're pretty obvious), then you have HomeLink.

My advice - buy the 2014. Depreciation is a bear. If you buy the 2012, you are buying a 2 year old car already. Think about that for value later on (even if you say you'll never sell it - some day you will sell it, everybody sells a car at some point). Do you really want a 2 year old car (I know not calendar years, but model years - and when it comes time to sell or do anything else in 3 or 4 or 5 years - you are now talking about a 2012 that will be 2 years older than the other cars).

Here's what I did, our 2013 FFE was totalled. I loved Ingot Silver. But I wanted a 2014 - for exactly the reason that the car is 1 year newer. There were several Ingot Silver 2013's in the area my dealer could get. I insisted on the 2014 and had to settle for the platinum white. It was a lot of trouble to find a 2014 with leather and we settled on that car. Glad I did, because I love that white color now.

Now I can tell you to a certainty there is absolutely no difference between the 2013 and 2014. The two cars are identical. I spent enough time in both of them to tell you there is no difference. At least in the two samples I've seen up close and personal.

There are two options for the FFE that are listed with Ford - leather interior and special paint. Nothing else for 2013 or 2014.

so, i went to the dealer today and saw the Focus EV 2012. It is not the same as i saw at the other dealer that was supposedly made dec 2012, this one was Mar 2012.
The car has 250km (i live in Quebec, canada). and is brand new. The dealer bought it from another dealer 1 month ago and the other dealer had it for a year i assume on the lot.
No one knows the condition it was kept for the 1 year on the lot, so i must ask, can the battery get abused if it was not charged during the time?
furthur the price is another question, they want $42,000 less $10,000 delivery allowance from ford plus tax. Then with the tax 37,000 of which we have a provincial discount of $8,000 right away.
therefor the final price is around $28,500 tax in. so about 24,000 plus tax for the car. Is this a good deal considering it is a 2012?
and dont forget in Canada we always pay a little more.

regardless i left a deposit to give me 24 hours to think about it. I cant find any other 2013's and the 2014's are $5,000 more.
i got the Frost Glass color with Leather Seats.

i did drive it and first time i pressed the pedal i did smile ridiculously, it really is a fun car to drive. Leaf has nothing compared to this Ford Focus EV.

so thats my story how does everything sound.?

forgot to mention, the car showed 109 km range on a full charge, mind you they did move it around abit from the back to the showroom and out. roughly 67 miles.
Is it supposed to be this low?

nuuk1 said:
forgot to mention, the car showed 109 km range on a full charge, mind you they did move it around abit from the back to the showroom and out. roughly 67 miles.
Is it supposed to be this low?
The car remembers how it was recently driven. If people are taking it out on the freeway for test drives and flooring it, the average energy usage per mile is going to be really high and the car will thus estimate a lower range (since it can't get the 76-mile range if you're going to drive it at 80 mph everywhere).

So, yes, the range "could be that low". But, assuming a temporary lead-footed range calibration is all that is happening, the car will start estimating a more normal range if it is consistently driven more conservatively for a while.

They're giving you incentives to buy the 2012. It's like any other 2012 on their lot, they need to finally get rid of them.

Only you can answer the question of wanting a care two models year back. To me, it isn't worth the savings - $5000 doesn't seem like enough difference. Did you look into the incentives for 2014's, or the current Canadian incentives? Are you certain there aren't similar ones for the new car?

Congratulations on getting the car. It is a fantastic car no matter which year you buy. You'll keep smiling the whole time you drive it. I also predict, you'll now enjoy traffic jams - or at least way more than you ever did. If you are in Montreal, or the Montreal area - this is the perfect car for that city.

Are there charging stations in Montreal? Or wherever you live. I realize Quebec is big.

Well in Quebec i had 3 dealers looking for any ford Focus EV and there were none left, except the 1 i was looking at. The 2014 would of cost me $7,000 dollars more.
The goal of purchasing the car was to go green and no more gas station stops. The final total since i am claiming back the taxes i spent to the government would make the car cost 24k.
To me that was the most fantastic deal i ever found.

Sure i would of liked a 2014, but i still got a new car, full warranty, and a massive smile on my face, and of course $7,000 dollars in savings. Now if the car was used that would of been another issue.

There are more and more charging stations over the city, and montreal is promoting green all over the city. There is always somewhere that i can plug in, but for the most part i stay under 80km in any given day, so i can wait to go home to charge.

Thx everyone for all the input, and i will keep you posted when i get my EV, hopefully in 2 days.

Canada is doing great for charging stations: nuuk1 could drive his FFE from Montreal all the way to Windsor/Detroit if he had the time:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/11/lets-take-a-road-trip/

Check out Sun Country Highway in Canada: https://suncountryhighway.ca/

Quebec just announced that they will extend the $8000.00 rebate till 2016 and that 5000 charging stations will be put up in quebec, all in all a 516 million dollar investment over the next couple of years.

Just picked up my Focus EV 2012, there were absolutely no 2013's left and the 2014's were about $6000 more.
The EV had 216km and leather package.

All i can say, i drove the car all day, my friends drove it, strangers looked at it, and every single one now wants one.
This is definitely one of the best rides i have ever had.
And i took the 2012 only because the price was right, and i never intend to sell so it doesn't matter, but to be safe i am guaranteed replacement cost in case i lose it for 5 years hehe.
Oh yeah, mix city and highway, 95km and 35 still was showing to spare. Anxiety gone, especially since i was testing the speed, the heaters, the sound system, night driving etc...

Too bad i have to bring it back for the recall :(

Back