Video: British version of FFE is quite different from US one

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Check out this video of a review of the British version of 2014 FFE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihJ1Pgn9rM

A few interesting moments...

[1m 00s] The area where the 12V power port is seems to have a "utility pocket" to one side (with the power port moved over, rather than neatly centered as in the US version). This difference would also seem to imply that the Brit version might not have heated seats since, in the US version, the seat temperature controls are either side of the 12V port. These controls cannot be seen in the Brit version (though it is possible they are located somewhere else out of view).

Also of note is the seat design and fabric, which differ from the US version. (And ugly, IMO.)

[3m 10s] An external shot clearly shows differently-styled headlamps than the US version, although the grill appears to the same. The different headlamps somehow just look "wrong". ;)

[4m 50s] Moving inside the cabin, you'll see a review of the dash displays and center console. While the dash displays seem the same as the US version, the center console is missing MyFord Touch and the physical buttons below are drastically different. There are more of them (likely to replace the lost MFT functionality) and seem awkward and ugly -- not a very pleasing arrangement, or look of simplicity that the US version has. Also, the center LCD screen is much smaller with a different, clunky-looking user-interface, and an awkwardly-shaped screen surround (that only increases the overall non-pleasing look of the entire center stack).

Looks like Ford cheaped-out on the interior of the British FFE. (Glad we got the nice version here in the US.) :)

-------

Multiple times, the narrator incorrectly refers to the L gear position as "eco mode", and later tries to compare it to the Leaf's eco mode, complaining that the FFE doesn't seem to have more power in D versus L. The US manual (at least) makes it clear that routinely driving in L will result in less overall efficiency, not more... hardly "economical".

Near the start of the video, the narrator also makes it clear that he doesn't understand what the Status indicator means. He wonders if "more" status might be better, but he's not sure. Later in the video, he notices that his range estimate went up and explains this as being due to "regenerated miles" (again demonstrating his lack of any in-depth knowledge about the car).

Nice to see that car up close.

Thanks for the time call outs - I appreciate that.

The seat heaters were probably left off, Europe tends to put in more basic upholstery than we do. So yeah, those seats are not exactly super pretty, I agree.
Did you notice no trunk organizer at 1:50?
Under the bonnet, things look exactly the same. What a doofus pulling on that rubber cover - that thing is really easy to take off.
I agree about the headlights - I like ours much better.

That nav screen can't be touch - it is recessed so deeply in the dash. Yeah, without touch you need all those crazy buttons. Interesting that the climate control is identical - that is usually significantly different on European cars. And they got a crummy Sony audio system.

By the way on the interior - like I said - Europe tends to spend less on the seats, except when you spend a lot more money on options. You can't buy cloth seats in a Mercedes here - but in Europe, there are about 5 different versions of cloth before you even get close to leather.

Once he starts driving - it looks like they got the auto dimming rearview mirror (the big mount is behind the mirror).

I think the radio/sync system on that car is the European Gen I version of Sync. The Europe Focuses (and Fiestas) never got My Ford Touch (Gen II).

Did you also notice that there are 3 EVSE's in the trunk? (At least I counted 3 J1772 plugs)

Back