Value Charge Question

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2015 Focus Electric and when I switch my charging mode to Value Charge, it doesn't switch to my Value Charge Profile time. Ford says I have to drive it for about 2 miles before it switches over to my set charge time. That is stupid in my opinion. It's like changing to another radio station on your radio presets and then you have to drive 2 miles before the radio will actually change the radio station. When I change charging modes, it should change immediately.

Johns Focus Electric said:
I have a 2015 Focus Electric and when I switch my charging mode to Value Charge, it doesn't switch to my Value Charge Profile time. Ford says I have to drive it for about 2 miles before it switches over to my set charge time. That is stupid in my opinion. It's like changing to another radio station on your radio presets and then you have to drive 2 miles before the radio will actually change the radio station. When I change charging modes, it should change immediately.
It does change immediately.

So not to be a grammer NAZI but what's the question? I don't see one in your post.

hybridbear said:
It does change immediately.
Yep it updates within a few few seconds on my 2014 FFE too.

Since I am on a time of use rate with my utility and can see hourly data, I now see that my FFE, despite programming both Home and Default to start at 2am, the car starts charging when I plug it in (240v). I even did the programming from the app and I can see that it was synced with the car. I also programmed a Go time but not till 9am. Any fixes out there?

When you first plug it in (assuming a value charge is intended) it charges for a few minutes in order to learn the available charging rate. It doesn't matter if you have programmed it for 120 V or 240 V, it checks. Then, it decides whether it can be ready to go.

I would (at least temporarily) get rid of the GO time and set a charging window wide enough that you can be sure it will complete. Check with the remote app to see what's going on...it will tell you if charging or waiting to charge, and when the predicted completion will occur.

I give mine a charge window from 5 AM to 11 AM each day. It dependably starts at 5 and ends whenever complete, usually around 7:30 AM

How are you setting the charge windows? I go to the web site and set them there. Could you have something in the web site schedule that's overriding what you think you are programming?

michael said:
When you first plug it in (assuming a value charge is intended) it charges for a few minutes in order to learn the available charging rate. It doesn't matter if you have programmed it for 120 V or 240 V, it checks. Then, it decides whether it can be ready to go.
It doesn't charge to do this. It just checks. The EVSE may show that the car is drawing power, but it isn't drawing thousands of watts of power like it does when charging. It's drawing a small load. The car may continue drawing this small load outside of the Value Charge window to charge the 12V battery or to heat/cool the HVB as needed. In winter our car usually begins "charging" immediately when we get home. This is because the HVB temp is too cold. The car thus turns on the HVB heating system & simultaneously charges the HVB to warm it up as quickly as possible. Once the HVB temp is "acceptable", the car stops charging, but it may continue to draw a small amount of power for other purposes.

Your description is more correct that mine...it checks the advertised charging capacity of the EVSE but doesn't put any current into the battery. I should have said it seems to be charging for a short while...

I have no experience with very cold situations.

To confirm value charging vs normal charging status, I just check on the MyFord Mobile website or app.
It will show a message indicating "unplugged" or "waiting to charge" or "charging"
If value charging is enabled and its not yet in the time window, it should show "waiting to charge"

Back