Under Hood Cleaning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEGuy

I've had my Focus Electric for a year, and I'm very happy with it. With no attention whatsoever, things under the hood are getting dusty and dirty, and I'm wondering how to keep it clean. As time goes by, it will get pretty grubby in there for any kind of access. For ICE cars, this was always a trip to the local spray wand car wash, but this might not be smart for an electric car with high voltage DC power. Has anyone risked doing an under hood spray wash, and if so, what was the outcome? Any better ideas?

Haven't tried the spray under the hood.

You might start by removing the foam cover and washing that away from the car. You pull up on the small center circle in the hold down pins, then the cover lifts off easily.

With the cover off, you can get a good look at the wires and where you probably shouldn't spray.

I would not use a pressure washer under the hood. This is because it can force the water into places were it wouldn't normally go.
Misting down under the hood should pose no problem since the car is ment to be driven in the rain. Just don't drive it into a foot of standing water.

From the owner's manual:
• Never use a power washer to clean under the hood or in the charge
port. The high-pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and
cause significant damage and risk of personal injury.
• Never spray water on any of the components under the hood or in the
charge port. Water ingress can damage electrical components and
connections.
• Use a dry cloth to remove any excess dirt that collects under the hood
or in the charge port. Always power-down the vehicle and wait five
minutes before touching any electrical components.

jeffand said:
Just don't drive it into a foot of standing water.
I drove through several inches (maybe as much as 6") of water (on the street, from a broken water main) and was fine.

That said, I don't recommend it. Use the same common sense with the FFE as you would with any car.

The power down part reminded me - water and electricity - nowhere near a good idea. That is some high voltage and current under the hood of the car. Yeah - keep the water away. Or better yet, just keep the hood closed, you'll never have to look at the dirt.

Power down means to pull the emergency disconnect in the back seat.

Back