Total range over 100 miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okladoug

I just purchased a 2015 Ford Focus Electric with 2785 miles. It was a 6 month old lease car. I am experiencing very high total range charges over 100 miles. They are usually in the 105-106 range and I have had it as high as 111 miles. It is giving me the true range to drive and doesn't drop off . My Ford Mobile and the My View budget on my left side cluster both show the high range. Should I expect this to change soon since it wasn't driven much in the six months or can I expect to continue to beat the Ford expected range of 76 miles per charge?

Okladoug said:
I just purchased a 2015 Ford Focus Electric with 2785 miles. It was a 6 month old lease car. I am experiencing very high total range charges over 100 miles. They are usually in the 105-106 range and I have had it as high as 111 miles. It is giving me the true range to drive and doesn't drop off . My Ford Mobile and the My View budget on my left side cluster both show the high range. Should I expect this to change soon since it wasn't driven much in the six months or can I expect to continue to beat the Ford expected range of 76 miles per charge?
No, you haven't magically received a "longer range" FFE. ;)

The so-called GOM ("Guess-o-Meter") sometimes does funny things. This happens with all EVs. My FFE once claimed a range of 155 miles with only a 50% charge, as detailed here.

Coming back to reality...

If you drive your FFE with average rate of consumption of around 250 Wh/mi, you will likely achieve a real range of 76 miles, as advertised.

So, it would seem that your current rate of consumption must be averaging much lower than 250 Wh/mi, causing the car to estimate ranges much higher than 76 miles.

A very low average rate of consumption is primarily caused by driving exclusively at slower speeds (e.g., lots of cruising at 45 mph and lower instead of 65 mph). You can also temporarily get "crazy" GOM numbers (as I did) by doing a lot of downhill driving and then charging soon afterwards, since the large amount of regeneration (downhill) will force the average rate of consumption to become very small, or even go negative (though the car will never actually display a negative rate).

But, if you truly drive slow everywhere (e.g., no faster than 45 mph, and never on the freeway) you might very well be able to get over 100 miles of actual range out of the car.

So... what is your average consumption rate?

Back