TMS (Termal Management System) on low amp 240v?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magudaman

So I have been charging in a secondary garage with 120v for convenience though I do have a 240v charger in the main part of the house. The last two weeks have been quite hot and I noticed that TMS system doesn't run when using 120v. In fact the car just cooks it self in that one car garage running a very low level fan but no compressor. I touched the cooling line running into the battery pack and it was way above ambient.

So does any know if the TMS system operates at low current 240v chargers? Say something like 6 amps 240v? I would prefer the active cooling to kick in and heat the garage even more but keep that pack a bit cooler in the summer.

magudaman said:
So does any know if the TMS system operates at low current 240v chargers? Say something like 6 amps 240v? I would prefer the active cooling to kick in and heat the garage even more but keep that pack a bit cooler in the summer.
I'm not sure what the amperage was, but it took about 6 hours to charge on a 240v I used one time. The full TMS was working and blowing fans and all. It was about 90F out.

unplugged said:
magudaman said:
I'm not sure what the amperage was, but it took about 6 hours to charge on a 240v I used one time. The full TMS was working and blowing fans and all. It was about 90F out.
If cooling is needed, charging will naturally take longer than the ideal minimum time (which is about 3.5 hours), for two reasons:
* The cooling itself takes power (to refridgerate the battery), so there is less power available for charging.
* The car may reduce the charging rate to avoid damage to the battery (since it is hot).

Of course, the Level 2 charger you used may have also been providing less than 6.6 kW (the rate needed for the minimum charge time).

Sadly it appears once I drop the current below around 11-12 amps the fans shut down. As soon as I cranked it back up to the normal 24 amps they kicked back one once over 12 amps.

Back