Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robochimp said:
Just Curious

Has anyone had "Stop Safely Now" on a 2014???

It would seem so... http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action?referenceSearch.requestId=11197&referenceSearch.urlCode=YMH81449WN96L1G

Hi - I am new to this forum and this is my first post. We just leased our 2013 FFE in July. Before we hit 2000 miles we were hit with the SSN issue and had the car towed to the dealer. Our diagnoses was that the connector to the HV battery was not seated properly resulting in a poor ohmic connection that would cause the fault. We haven't had the issue since. I was one of the reports to the nhtsa about this issue and am interested to see how this issue fleshes out and how FORD handles it as i understand there is a government investigation going on.

I got my wonderful FFE back day before yesterday after 42 days at the dealer. they paid for car rental and gas. I have confidence it is fixed, because, as I said before, they wiggled a cable to a module, found it making intermittent connection and replaced the cable. After that replacement, they were not able to get the error again. I am confident that it is fixed, though I am mindful that the SSN message could have different causes, and that as someone said shortly ago, the car may shut down too abruptly because of a software urge to do so. Time will tell.

After you have driven this car, and are stuck with a Korean automatic shift rental for a while, and then go back to the FFE you truly appreciate the Electric's smooth ride and amenities.

2013 mist green FFE

I really like this car and the whole idea of not using gas at all. I'm charging with solar. I'm giving it another chance. If SSN happens again, the lemon will out.

I can understand that for sure, I would probably be just the same if it happened on my end. I don't have an FFE but my car is electric.

I wonder if this really is a string of bad events or if it ideally is software. The causes all seem to be random.

Just an update: Since the dealer fixed my SSN issue over a month ago, I have had no problems. The car is back to its excellent self.

Good luck pastrdj. We just had our second SSN--after almost a month since the dealer went through it for three days! Just reported it to the NHTSA.

It seems that the initial report of 12 SSN incidences on 9/6/13 increased to 30 reported by 9/16/13. The expected response date for Ford is 10/14/13. Hopefully there will be more information for all of us.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM444071/INOA-PE13031-1285.PDF

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM444424/INIM-PE13031-57668.pdf

I have just over 1000 miles on my 2013 FOCUS EV ... took it for its 1st power car wash today @ Delta Sonic ... about 10:00 min driving away from car wash, vehicle abruptly "shut down" requesting an "immediate safe stop" and the "yellow wrench" showed on dash.

After about 30:00 min while scheduling a tow from FORD Roadside assist, vehicle abruptly "cleared itself" and turned on ... drove home w/o problem ?

Wondering if "flood sensor" sensed too much water and disengaged battery pack ? ... lights, radio and accessories were still operating.

Somewhat concerned on vehicles performance during upcoming "cold wet" months. Your suggestion ?

This thread has been recommending that all owners who have had the SSN incident report it to the NHTSA immediately and be sure to comment early on that this it about the Ford Focus Electric model so that it stands out. I have read recommendations that you take the car to the dealer ASAP so aside from getting assistance it is documented.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

It is not worth the effort attempting to diagnose why this happened. Throughout this thread there are all sorts of driving experiences that do not correlate to a "reason" for this happening. It is up to Ford and their Engineers to determine why this is happening and provide a solution for all owners.

Please keep us all posted.

I just got my car back and they think its fixed. They changed the 12v battery because it gave all kinds of 12v battery codes and they think thats what the SSN problem was on my car.

Alright folks, I am a new owner of a 2012 FFE . I've had the car about 6 weeks and it has aprox. 5800 miles on it. As I was leaving work Friday I got the SSN message. It was sitting in the parking lot, on the charging pole. It hadn't even moved out of its parking place. After turning it on and off several times, plugging and unplugging it again, it still refused to run. So, it is at the dealer now, waiting to be looked at.
Also, when I picked it up, they had me bring it back after about a week to put new software on the computer! I'm guessing this was not a fix. I will update when they tell me something.

It has been a week now. They have changed the dc to dc converter. Now they are planning to change the high voltage wiring harness. We will see how it goes.

Ford is doing a buyback of my car. Basically my lease terms remain exactly the same. My sticker price was $41,480 and I get to pick out any Ford/Lincoln with that MSRP sticker price and everything is a wash and stays the same. If I choose a more expensive car, I pay the difference up front.
I got it back last week and they said it was fixed and they said it was the 12v battery causing the problem (I knew it wasn't) and they put in a new battery.
When I bought the car 6 months ago I had them put in a new battery and have never had a problem with the 12 battery so I knew that wasn't the issue.
Anyways I got another SSN yesterday. This time after it sat for 10 seconds it started up fine.

Ford has been very nice and speedy with my buyback and last Wednesday they called and said the buyback was approved and I got the paperwork in the mail Friday and I should be in a new vehicle in 3 weeks to a month tops.

They offered to let me keep the Leaf rental but I'd rather drive my Focus until the deal is done and I give it back to them.
Anyways my hats off to Ford corporate for being so nice over the last few weeks.

Also, if anyone wants to buy my Clipper Creek LCS-25 let me know. I still have the box and everything. I have it totally portable and have a dryer plug on the end. I'll also throw in the outdoor circuit box with the 3 pin receptacle

http://stores.buyevse.com/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok

Jasper7821 said:
Ford is doing a buyback of my car. Basically my lease terms remain exactly the same. My sticker price was $41,480 and I get to pick out any Ford/Lincoln with that MSRP sticker price and everything is a wash and stays the same. If I choose a more expensive car, I pay the difference up front.

So in leu of $$ they are letting you pick another car? I'm curious: Which car will you pick? (You could go with a Fusion Energi or a C-Max Energi and still make use of your EVSE--I think both retail for less than the FFE).

jmueller065 said:
Jasper7821 said:

So in leu of $$ they are letting you pick another car? I'm curious: Which car will you pick? (You could go with a Fusion Energi or a C-Max Energi and still make use of your EVSE--I think both retail for less than the FFE).

I was going to get the Fusion BUT we also have a 2002 F250 Diesel that we use to pull a trailer. So I figured that instead of having 3 cars, just sell the F250 which easily sold in a few days) and buy a F150 and it will fit in the garage and I don't have to pay an extra $422 every six months for insurance.

So I guess my electric days are over for now. At least until this deal is done and I turn in my car.
There was two options, taking another car and get to pick whatever I want at the MSRP that equals the Focus (I don't qualify for any rebates or incentives on the new vehicle I choose)
Or they would just take the car back and refund my $500 down payment and also my 6 months of payments and I has to pay some mileage fees.

We have just had our 2nd SSN error on the same card (we have two). The first time it was in for repair for 17 days, and they found "nothing wrong". They had decided to replace the main electrical harness. This past Friday it happened again. They took the car today and we have filed the official paperwork with Ford and the GA state attorneys office under the lemon law, as the final repair attempt. Ford has a case open, and we are suppose to hear back from the Ford regional manager in the next day on our plan.

Both incidents have been very close calls for my wife. Both cases were situations where should could have been killed (and I do mean this) when the car cuts power, locks the wheels, and looses steering ability. There was no warning for the SSN, and no chance to react. Both experiences were very traumatizing for her, she will no longer get in the car unless the outcome from Ford has a guarantee of fix, with a technical explanation of what is happening.

Susan said:
Pciccone did you report your experience to the NHTSA? Just curious because this is such a serious matter that all reported incidents matter.

The first was reported, the second is on my list of to-do for today.

Jasper,

Please add your Focus VIN to this thread. The next person who buys this car is going to have some history to read about.

Good luck!

Back