Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY car is with the dealer for the SSN problem since Monday(8/19). The service rep has been driving it around and taking it home every night. They took my permission to drive it around. I have already filed the complaint - NHTSA.

I just leased my FFE 2013. A week later on 8/22 it gave me the SSN message at a light at a busy intersection. It was quite lovely to not be able to start the car back up for 7-10 minutes.

I'm in the dealership's waiting room now while they investigate the problem.

My car has been at the dealership since August 13th for its 5th SSN repair attempt. This will be the second time a field service Engineer has been brought in to try to resolve. Seems as though there are quite a few cars currently in the shop for this. Good luck everyone. I'm at approximately 50 total days out of service for the past four months.

Lemon time! I'm day 28 of my Ford Buyback process!!!! No car for the last 28 days, Ford will not pay for a rental...So much for their tagline of "Go Forward"

That may be why CEO Alan Mulally was ebullient at Ford's annual general meeting in Wilmington, Del., on Thursday. "We are no longer turning around," Mulally told shareholders. "We are moving ahead."

I just purchased a 2001 Prius runs great 43 mpg!

I will update my buyback ordeal in a separate post.
Good luck y'all!!

I decided to check in on my car at the dealership today and was told that they had been advised to stop working on the diagnosis by the "Detroit Hotline". "Engineering is aware of concern and is working on repair". Hopefully that does not take another 50 days to complete. I'm sure we will see some sort of recall on this at some point.

That actually sounds like good news, as if a root cause has been identified and that an optimum solution is being worked. Hope!

Did they mention that "bent Powertrain Control Module pins" may be the root?

that's what my dealer found - took a lot of driving and testing, but they have what may be the first SSN - captured and recorded realtime - confirmed to the hotline.

Keep making this awesome car please, just without this nasty gremlin.
BTW, While driving the rental ICE, I had serious EV withdrawl... I really don't miss gas stations, I've found.

Let's put this to bed now, Ford - move it forward... make it right.

In my case, it sounds like a software issue. I'm pretty sure I heard them mention that this update had to go through EPA approval before it could be rolled out. Funny, eh?

robochimp said:
Did they mention that "bent Powertrain Control Module pins" may be the root?

that's what my dealer found - took a lot of driving and testing, but they have what may be the first SSN - captured and recorded realtime - confirmed to the hotline.

Keep making this awesome car please, just without this nasty gremlin.
BTW, While driving the rental ICE, I had serious EV withdrawl... I really don't miss gas stations, I've found.

Let's put this to bed now, Ford - move it forward... make it right.

My daughter was driving home from school and got the SSN on a 45MPH street.

The car shut down before she could even get all the way to the curb.

1378 miles on the odometer. Not cool Ford.......

FFESSNWarning.jpg

ComedyGuy said:

FFESSNWarning.jpg

You should report it to the NHTSA

philly_ev said:
ComedyGuy said:

You should report it to the NHTSA

Just finished doing that.........good suggestion.

Hopefully everyone with the problem reports it to the NHTSA. They might be able to apply the proper pressure to Ford to fix it.

Not sure I can trust that car now. I'll have my daughter drive the Toyota Prius from now on.

Nice pic :] Good Job..

make sure on the NHTSA complaint that in the body you specify "FORD FOCUS ELECTRIC" or it will be lumped together with the Focus ST and other ICE models.

a tip...

when taking the FFE into the dealer - they will offer you a rental...make sure you have the *service manager sign* for at least $40/day or you will end up with a compact Toyota Yaris matchbox potentially for many weeks..Also, save all your gas receipts and submit to the dealer for reimbursement... This serves dual purposes since it costs Ford more per day - my theory is your car will be out the door quicker ;]

another reminder for others that may experience SSN down the road:
keep a video camera or smartphone ready to record while driving..but probably safer to at least snap a pic after the event...
a picture or video carries a bit more gravitas...and you'll have way less explaining to do.

Save all invoices from the dealer and verify that the problem has been clearly stated as "Stop Safely Now" - it is very important that they confirm
your car has this issue, and if it was resolved... *exactly* how?- if you have pictures, give them to the dealer.

Good luck!

Robo chimp is FORD paying for your gas? They won't even help me with a rental and I'm at the repurchase stage! Say it aint so...
I agree KEEP ALL DOCUMENTS.....BTW Love my "new" 2001 prius 47.7 mpg!!! Thanks FORD :(

really surprised your dealer didn't offer a rental... especially for the length of time you had to come out of pocket.

This is something (including the gas) that you may want to contact your dealer on... I will be working through Ford, as my dealer recommended
this is the best route for gas reimbursement.

We bought a 40K car to not use gas - that has to be part of the equation.

After a week of owning, I got the SSN message (along with lots of other bizarre electrical things like the back up camera display flipping upside down while backing?). Did the usual tricks, shut off, open and close door, restart. Got car to dealership where it surprisingly wouldn't start. They put a new battery in it and verified all updates were done. Sent me on my way and all has been fine for the last few days. Love the car, hope that is the end of it.

ttzffe said:
After a week of owning, I got the SSN message (along with lots of other bizarre electrical things like the back up camera display flipping upside down while backing?).
The upside down back-up camera thing happened to me too! It eventually went back to normal.

I also had the back-up camera video image slowly "roll" vertically, like an old-timey TV. It only rolled one time and stopped when the image got back to the center.

I also had the back-up camera display stop showing all the normal graphics... no guides, no buttons. It was just the plain image. I fixed it by shifting out of reverse, going to the back-up camera settings and just toggling all the settings back and forth. When I shifted back into reverse, everything was working again.

I dropped my car one week ago and the service manager said I should have it by the next day, ya right. It's now one week later and they still have it. It was set up by Ford corporate and they gave me a pretty new Lincoln MKZ for a rental and all the gas is paid for.

Ford corporate said the only thing they can think of is maybe chaffing in the wire harness so I think they are possibly going to replace the entire harness. I don't think that's the problem, I think it's a simple computer glitch. Maybe they need some 15yr old computer whiz to look at it.

Anyways, I hope I get my car back soon.

Back