Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted this in the general forum, webmeister, can delete there, posting here...

This might be a duplicate post, but couldn't find anything on this...
Just last Saturday, I spent the time to go to the dealer and have the "Stop Safely Now" recall notice taken care of, as well as the door beep issue (Really, a recall for a door beep?!). After a few hours I picked up the car and was excited thinking I would no longer have the infamous "Stop Safely Now" alerts which I seem to get once a week or so.

Wrrrronggg! Just this morning, BAM, hit with it again, at a stoplight, in four lane undivided traffic, me in the left lane on my side. So, I quickly did the routine, turn off, open door until all console lights are off, turn back on. By the time I was done, had to do it twice, I had my hazards on and I am sure some frustrated folks talking trash about the FFE, and electrics.

So, Ford, what is the deal? Seriously. I had just left my house, within a mile, turned on the heater, driving normally, and braking to the stoplight. I am a patient person. I HATE wasting time at a dealer. And that is just what I feel I did. I still love my FFE, but seriously, Ford, what the @#%$Y$#@%R#@$REWRT@E%TR@#R@#R. Get it? You are sewing the seeds of discontent.

Your dealer probably didn't install the whole firmware update properly. I haven't heard of any SSN warnings on any cars that had the recall.

Yeah, I called the dealer, they said bring it in, of course. I will await another repeat offense before wasting more of my time with this.

A Stop Safely Now error will occur for a multitude of reasons. Some of those include the safety interconnects on the high voltage connections being broken. Stop Safely Now will still occur in FFE's. The recall just fixed them happening for non error events.

I had the stop safely now error happen to me several times as well, even after the reprogramming they did. The second time I brought it in, the tech called an engineer from Ford and was told to clean and tighten some ground wires. It's been at least a solid 2 months and no more errors.

So it seems it's not entirely software, but also some hardware/wiring issues as well.

Hi all -

I'm an EV activist in Atlanta, and looong story short I'm picking up a used FFE from a north Georgia dealer on Tuesday afternoon. I will then immediately drive it the 80 miles back home. This will include a stop at a charging location along the way (with multiple EVSEs, so no worries) to charge for an hour or so until the battery range is within striking distance of my house. Once I get into Atlanta proper there are LOTS of charging stations (I personally documented just about every one of them at Recargo) so I'm not concerned about making it home or not. Well, my wife is, but I'm not.

But I am concerned about the SSN problem. The dealer today has applied the TSB fix, and hopefully that will be the end of any SSN problems for this particular car.

BUT JUST IN CASE ...

When it does happen, can you tell me how to have been resetting the car so that it gets going again? Power down and back up? Get out and lock it and wait X minutes? Just wait X minutes? Bounce up and down inside the car? Kick the front bumper? :)

Thanks!

Chris? I thought you were getting the BMW i3? Are you getting both.

If this is you, I met you at Atlantic Station once in my Volt. I just picked up a new FFE in January.

Sorry others for the off topic response :). I met this guy once and was shocked to see someone I know on here.

As a former SSN expert, the secret is in opening the drivers side door after the SSN and power outage occurrs. Opening the Door and closing it appears to reset the system for a clean attempt at a re-power up. (repeat as necessary) ;)

ChrisC said:
BUT JUST IN CASE ...

When it does happen, can you tell me how to have been resetting the car so that it gets going again? Power down and back up? Get out and lock it and wait X minutes? Just wait X minutes? Bounce up and down inside the car? Kick the front bumper? :)

Thanks!

Dreaming-in-Focus said:
As a former SSN expert, the secret is in opening the drivers side door after the SSN and power outage occurrs. Opening the Door and closing it appears to reset the system for a clean attempt at a re-power up. (repeat as necessary) ;)

OK thanks! I made it home OK (80 miles including a short charging stop along the way) and didn't have any problems, so fingers crossed.

Richmond72 said:
Chris? I thought you were getting the BMW i3? Are you getting both. If this is you, I met you at Atlantic Station once in my Volt. I just picked up a new FFE in January. Sorry others for the off topic response :). I met this guy once and was shocked to see someone I know on here.

Yup, it's me. Back story is here.

What color did you get, Chris?

I'm in East Cobb. My wife (mostly) drives our oxford white.

Welcome. It's not a BMW, but it's a very nice car. Hope you enjoy it.

On my way to work on I-5 in Orange County, CA the message "Stop Safely Now" came on just as traffic stopped, so natually, the car quit. Very exciting to be in the fast lane unable to move. The car has been towed to the nearest Ford dealer and they have no clue how to fix it. Waiting to hear from Ford engineering :(

Shuttlecraft_1 said:
On my way to work on I-5 in Orange County, CA the message "Stop Safely Now" came on just as traffic stopped
Sorry you got struck with an SSN. Does your FFE have all the recall updates applied?

The Ford dealer found a dirty connection on a high voltage connector. They cleaned in and put high voltage grease on it after sending a picture to Ford. It seems to be fixed, but why would a brand new car have deposits on a sealed connector?

There are threads on this board (and maybe on the My Ford Mobile website ) where people talked about getting the SSN, Ford and the dealers found a loose connector. That seemed to fix the problem. If I were guessing, that is a manufacturing defect that happens sometimes. It just took a while for yours to show up. Sorry to say, just bad luck.

The mechanical connector problem was unrelated to the bigger SSN problem seen by a lot more people - solved by a software update.

I've had the recall (after quite a number of SSN's). I just had another SSN. Thanks for the suggestion about checking for corrosion on the connectors. So far, most of the troubleshooting has been OS and module related, or figuring out how to avoid power drain on the 12V.

Would like to add another Focus to this discussion. Our issue started around December, with the car going from 84 miles to a charge, to 40. With it being so cold, you couldn't turn on the heat without losing at least half of the miles. A 14 mile trip, in 3 degree weather, with no heat or defroster (scrapping the windshield with a credit card)- 26 miles on the car, but had 0 when I got home. Then, in January, the stop safely messages started. the first was a complete, dead in the intersection stop. After 15 minutes, we were able to restart and drive to the dealer. It has now been there 4 separate times, for a total of over 60 days. It has currently been there since April 2nd. One time, we picked it up at 7 am, drove 15 miles to work, parked it for the day, and it did it on the ride home. I have photographed the dash, to show the 45% power, the stop safely message. the poor technician has clean every blessed wire, and lubricated it, and done recall repairs. I officially filed with Ford to end this lease. Was told by EV that since the dealership can't duplicate the problem, there must not be anything wrong. I refuse to bring this home again.
2013FFE

Curious if anyone has had an SSN warning on a 2014 model? Considering buying a FFE but the fact that some are still having the issue worries me. Thanks.

bgs said:
Curious if anyone has had an SSN warning on a 2014 model? Considering buying a FFE but the fact that some are still having the issue worries me. Thanks.
It's extremely rare since the recall to update firmware. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't doubt dnkoester is having a problem but it's quite unusual.

Back