STOP SAFELY NOW WARNING IMPORTANT

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashuri

Hello

I am an owner of an FFE still in the shop, car died twice once on freeway, once on street.

I just spoke to the NHTSA, listen guys for them to take us seriously he suggested that a letter be drafted to the NHTSA to the Office of Defective Investigations.

I know there is a post where someone has an excel sheet of all the vehicles, I am suggesting that we all collectively write one letter with our names and send it to NHTSA OR he suggested everyone call into their hotline to file a complaint.

I am happy to help with this letter it is really serious to me the address is
US DOT
NHTSA
Office of Defective Investigations (ROOM NVS-210)
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
West Building
Washington, DC 20590

I likewise have felt that this is a potentially serious safety issue. You can't avoid an accident if you suddenly have no power. Good luck getting people to call or write a letter. I filed a complaint when I had my Stop Safely now back several months ago. Filling the complaint online takes all of 5 minutes and there are still only 4 complaints logged at NHTSA, despite the much larger than that number reporting the issue just on this site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action?referenceSearch.requestId=5534&referenceSearch.urlCode=89BFHNWQZ6SWTD1

Had the new software update completed by the dealer. First issue after the software upgrade was the MyFordMobile applicatin no longer worked and now we have an additional issue. Today the car just quit in the middle of traffic after giving a warning of stop safely now. Just great right in the middle of traffic we could have caused a serious accident. Loved the car but now I'm not so sure anymore. Ford has been trying to get the My Ford Mobile application to work for weeks now and this just tops it off. Never had any problems with the car until now other than a bad 12 volt battery and rear camera failure. Oh well they just lost another customer

mstubbs007 said:
Just great right in the middle of traffic we could have caused a serious accident. Loved the car but now I'm not so sure anymore.
Do you have a 2012 or 2013 model?

I ask because, I get the feeling that 2012 models need to have some hardware components upgraded in addition to firmware/software upgrades. I wonder if, when updating a 2012, dealers somehow aren't always putting the thing back together again properly (the main culprit seemingly being loose connectors).

Has anyone had a "perfectly-good" 2013 model that has been updated and soon thereafter experienced an SSN or other issue? Or, is the bulk of such cases with 2012 models?

mine is a 2013 model and I started getting the warning after that software update. I just had to morning again last week normally down the street and the car died.the only way to get it working again was too turn it off open the door closed the door lock unlock then start again.

Hi Jasper-

Do you charge exclusively with the included 120volt unit?

Jasper7821 said:
mine is a 2013 model and I started getting the warning after that software update. I just had to morning again last week normally down the street and the car died.the only way to get it working again was too turn it off open the door closed the door lock unlock then start again.

firewired said:
I likewise have felt that this is a potentially serious safety issue. You can't avoid an accident if you suddenly have no power. Good luck getting people to call or write a letter. I filed a complaint when I had my Stop Safely now back several months ago. Filling the complaint online takes all of 5 minutes and there are still only 4 complaints logged at NHTSA, despite the much larger than that number reporting the issue just on this site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action?referenceSearch.requestId=5534&referenceSearch.urlCode=89BFHNWQZ6SWTD1

Thanks for suggesting teh NHTSA site. I posted my issue there as well, for my 2013 Ford Focus EV, for visibility, I'm posting here as well.

This is actually the 3rd time in a month this occurred. The "stop safely now" warning comes up. 1st time on 7/29, I was able to safely pull into a parking lot. The car would not restart, and the wrench symbol displayed. Turned off and tried again 5 minutes later, and the car worked fine.

The next day, the car gave no notice as I moved to accelerate at a green light. A clunk, and no power, and the "stop safely" now warned occurred at the same time. I turned the hazard lights on, a pedestrian assisted me in pushing the car out of the traffic. It restarted 5 minutes later, I drove it straight to the Ford dealership. They replaced the computer did the software update.

After waiting over 2 weeks for the car, the "stop safely now" occurred again 5 days after being released from the dealership. This time, I was able to safely pull over. I took it back to the dealership, and do not know how long it will to take to fix the issue. I no longer feel safe driving this car, knowing the power can be disabled anywhere at any time. I hope Ford takes these issues seriously.

I just had my 2013 FFE die in traffic, going about 30 MPH. The STOP SAFELY NOW warning, in retrospect, was good to get, as it made pulling to the curb and parking my top priority.

I tried everything I could think of to restart the car, but nothing worked. I called Ford Emergency Roadside Service. They sent out a tow truck, and it was towed to the nearest Ford service center. After the car was rolled off the tow truck, I tried again to start it. It started right up, as if nothing had gone wrong.

Sadly, add one more person to the SSN list. July 2013 purchased FFE, 785 miles, SSN pops up at 45 mph.

I opened a case with Ford and taking to local dealership today. Mine came with the latest software. Now, coincidentally I also had just (1 day prior) updated the Sync software via USB stick.

I regret to say I just had my first SSN event yesterday. My software was updated July 5th. After that update, My Ford Mobile quit working. Ford has been working on that. Yesterday was the first SSN issue.

I put the car in park, took my foot off the brake, and shut the car off. When I restarted it, all was fine.

Fortunately for me, this happened as I was coming to a stop at a light. The only consequence was a few annoyed drivers.

I will alert Ford and the NHTSA.

The firmware update is not the same as the MFT 3.6.2 update? These are 2 different software updates? One done at home via USB and the other at the dealer? Or, am I misunderstanding this?

bev_la said:
The firmware update is not the same as the MFT 3.6.2 update? These are 2 different software updates? One done at home via USB and the other at the dealer? Or, am I misunderstanding this?
You are correct, there are two updates. If you do not have 3.5.1, you must go to the dealer and have it installed. Vehicles manufactured after February or March 2013 already have it installed.

Once you have this installed, you can update the MFT with the 3.6.2 update via a USB. You can't update to 3.6.2 without having the first update. If you are going to the dealer to have the 3.5.1 installed, you might as well have the dealer install the USB update.

Sunrise Ford in North Hollywood tried for 3 hours to install 3.6.

I installed the update from the USB the week before but saw a message that said there was an addtl update that the dealer had to complete. I was in for the recall so I asked about the addtl update... They could have just looked to see that update was already installed. Instead they kept trying to install 3.6 and kept failing.

I called Ford and they have no idea what this "additional update" might be?

Has anyone else seen this message after the 3.6 update?

BTW, the software seems fine. No problems.

Yes, I was also getting the notification on the sync website that there was a dealer update for me, even though I had already installed 3.6.2 myself. The description of the dealer update was also exactly the same as the description of the update I had already installed, so I was planning to just skip whatever this dealer update was, (i.e., wait for the next one before doing anything). Interestingly, after seeing your post, I just checked the website and it says my sync is up to date, so maybe your call got the error fixed... thanks!

Back