Stop Safely Now warning and no regen after vacation

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper7821

We went on vacation for a week and my car had the update before we left and it all seemed fine.
I left the car plugged in and after two days I couldn't connect to it anymore.
I got home and started it and it gave me the Stop Safely Now warning. I turned it off and got out and locked it and then tried again and same thing.
I still couldn't connect to the car so I deleted the car and re-added it but it still didn't see it.
So I deleted it again and chose to not keep the memory and start from fresh.
I was frustrated so I did a master reset that I saw when scrolling through the menus.
Finally I was able to see the car on my phone but don't have access to the remote control, vehicle info, key personalization, Trip&charge log,trends, and battery lever alert.
Maybe I have to wait until the 2nd conformation until I get full access.

But I just took it to the store and there's no regen when coasting or braking. Even in the power screen it shows power coming our of the battery when driving and also when braking where before the lights would go into the battery when braking or coasting.
So I think something got messed up with the regen when I did a master reset.

Anyone else have an issue like this ?
My car worked 100% perfect until I took it in for the update.
It's a 2013 and I've had it for less than 2 months and have 3,000 miles. (seems like the mileage is also adding faster than it should but that's another story)

Did you try pulling any fuses to reset various modules (like if remote isn't working pull the telematics fuse).

If you're really adventurous you could just disconnect the negative terminal on the 12V battery for a few minutes to reset the entire car.

After driving around for a bit today the regen starting working again both the counter clockwise arrow on the battery and the power flow screen.
Don't know why it just started working but glad it is.
Still waiting for the 24hr conformation to see if I get all the app functions.

I haven't experienced anything like you did, but I left my car off the plug with a 75% charge on the few occasions when I didn't drive it for a week or so. Since the manual recommends something along those lines for a medium-long break, and leaving it with 50% charge and disconnecting the 12V for a long break, I figured it couldn't hurt to be off the plug (weather was not hot).

A thought... Someone who lives on a hill posted the observation that if they leave home with a full battery and head downhill, regen doesn't happen right away, until the battery has "room" to hold more charge. So I wonder if your vehicle remained plugged in for several days, did the state of charge maybe reach "overfull"- if it charged past the usual full setpoint and into the typically unavailable capacity. It then might not take charge back through regen until the state of charge goes under the usual full setpoint. About how much energy did you use/ how many miles did you drive before regen started working again?

The timing after your Sync update is certainly hard to ignore, but since I haven't heard about anyone else losing regen after the update (plenty of other issues though!), I think the weeklong garaging had more to do with it.

Seems like everything is working great now.
One more small quirk was trip 1 and 2 didn't show watts per mile.
Drove it and it was the same
Came home and locked and unlocked and started and then both trip meters showed the watts per mile.
Oh well, everything is working fine now and hope it stays that way.

We went on vacation for 10 days and, since the car needed a charge, I left it plugged in to our level 2 charger. When we got back the available miles read 108 and it took the better part of the day (80 miles on the battery guage) before any "regen" showed on the braking coach.

I'm pretty sure what happens is that, when sitting plugged in for a long period of time, the battery, even fully charged, eventually drops just slightly below the level that would activate the charging cycle. At this point the charging cycle kicks in again and brings the battery up beyond "normal" (for longest battery life).

Because of this extra level of charge, the regen does not operate until the battery again drops below the optimum level of charge for long-term battery life.

I believe this also explains why, when we first take off in the morning, it takes a few miles before the regen kicks in. The battery is just a bit over the ideal level of charge and the regen won't kick in until it drops below this level.

Back