Steering wheel stiff

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgek

This morning I brought the car in for the recent updates. And I told the dealer about a steering problem I'm having...

It's most noticeable above 35 mph. Steering wheel has a play of about 1/4 inch. After that, it is much stiffer. If I let go of the wheel, it will just stay within that 1/4 inch play. It takes an effort to move it further.

The faster I go, the harder it is to turn past the 1/4 inch play. For example, I could turn it to make a slight turn, and it will, stay in that position.

My wife notices it big time. I pointed it out to the dealer who test drove it this morning, and he said he didn't notice it???

Ok, it is definitely there. I guess my question here is, does everyone eases' car do this too? :?:

I haven't noticed anything unusual in my FFE steering. I admit the steering wheel seems kind of a "taught", but I just perceived it as a "sporty" feel.

So, are you saying that, for example, at freeway speed, if you nudge the steering wheel and then let go, the car won't auto-center and resume going straight?

WattsUp said:
I haven't noticed anything unusually in my FFE. I admit the steering wheel seems kind of a "taught", but I just perceived it as a "sporty" feel.

So, are you saying that, for example, at freeway speed, if you nudge the steering wheel and then let go, the car won't auto-center and resume going straight?

WattsUp,

Yes. It will certainly follow a gentle curve at freeway speeds. But not sure how much more curve it would track.

So, it takes a little bit of muscle to get it to go off the 1/4 inch play... I've been using my right hand (stronger) as it is more pronounced with weaker left hand.(PS., I'm not exactly a body builder).

I'm getting the feeling that everyone's isn't like that...

Thanks,

George

So, after getting the car back, I talked with the manager of Arlington Hts. Ford, Jerry. He asked me to show him the steering problem. After driving on several streets plus freeway, he did see that the steering was indeed, "tight". He wasn't sure if that was normal for the FFE, or not. So, he said, the next time they have an FFE demo, we will go for another drive.

So, I'm wondering if everyone else's steering is tight after 1\4" play, or is it just mine?

I had noticed that the steering was tight making it difficult to make small adjustments when driving at speed. The other day I was adjusting my seat and also raised the steering wheel. The steering is now greatly improved.

danholl,

Thanks for the idea. After your comments, I tried it with mine. My steering wheel was already pretty high. I tried moving it up and down, and it didn't help... When moving it down, it did seem to actually get worse(tighter), as well. That doesn't seem right either!!?

I am certain something is wrong with yours and it can be fixed. Mine is easily steered with the fingertips. If anything, I find the steering to be too light.

I can literally steer with my little fingers...if you need muscle power, something isn't right.

I've got a gas Focus and would describe the power steering in a similar way. I suspect it's the electric power steering (EPS) calibration, rather than an actual problem with the vehicle. The resistance just off-center gives a semblance of "on-center feel" but sometimes it makes positioning the car in the lane difficult. Occasionally I end up overcorrecting and darting left and right.

It's best to try ignoring it altogether and to look further down the road when driving... then you stop making these small corrections to stay in the lane.

Edit: The technology in question is called Drift-Pull Compensation. It's supposed to help with driving, but instead it makes steering feel unnatural.

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analysis/ford-s-electric-steering-enables-pull-drift-technology

Back