Speeds affect on range

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

FFErange_zpsb449fd3f.jpg

What is the maximum range at a constant speed?
This is under optimum conditions. 72 degrees, flat ground, no stops, and no climate control or radio use.
Battery capacity 23 Kwh.
Battery usable capacity of 19.32 Kwh.

10 MPH = 149.9 wh/mi 128.8 miles
20 MPH = 151.4 wh/mi 127.6 miles
30 MPH = 174.1 wh/mi 110.9 miles
40 MPH = 194.5 wh/mi 99.3 miles
50 MPH = 253.6 wh/mi 76.1 miles
60 MPH = 306.8 wh/mi 62.9 miles
70 MPH = 356.6 wh/mi 54.1 miles
80 MPH = 433.8 wh/mi 44.5 miles

http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/fsev/fact2013fordfocus.pdf

:arrow: A warmer battery will increase battery storage capacity, but will age the battery faster. Increasing tire pressure will reduce rolling resistance, thus increasing range.

After driving on the streets a few days ago, I really think this car is built for street driving and not freeway driving. The car feels much nicer to drive around 40mph. The feel and handling is incredible. Also, slowing down tends to calm me down and lets me enjoy the time for the trip more.

At freeway speeds the handling and everything else isn't as appealing. My target speed is 60mph to 70mph to keep my range sane.

damania said:
After driving on the streets a few days ago, I really think this car is built for street driving and not freeway driving. The car feels much nicer to drive around 40mph. The feel and handling is incredible. Also, slowing down tends to calm me down and lets me enjoy the time for the trip more.

At freeway speeds the handling and everything else isn't as appealing. My target speed is 60mph to 70mph to keep my range sane.

My experience is that it drives very well in both settings. If you feel uncomfortable on the freeway, there might be some steering or alignment issues in your car which can be corrected. Several of the posters here have reported "the wanders" on the freeway. Mine had this until aligned. There are also reports of problems with the compensated steering.

michael said:
damania said:

My experience is that it drives very well in both settings. If you feel uncomfortable on the freeway, there might be some steering or alignment issues in your car which can be corrected. Several of the posters here have reported "the wanders" on the freeway. Mine had this until aligned. There are also reports of problems with the compensated steering.
Check out this SSM:
SSM 44911 - 2012-2014 Focus - 2013-2014 Escape - Difficult To Maintain Straight
Driving Line
Some 2012-2014 Focus built on or before 9/15/2014, 2012-2014 Focus ST built on or
before 10/31/2014 and 2013-2014 Escape built on or before 7/7/2014, may exhibit a
concern of difficult to maintain a straight driving line at freeway speeds.This concern
may only be present during long distance drives. The customer may report that the
steering feels sticky at the straight ahead position and constant steering corrections are
required. To correct this condition, reprogram the Power Steering Control Module
(PSCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 93.05 or higher. Calibration files can
also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com. For warranty claiming, use causal part 3504,
and use applicable 12651D labor operations in SLTS manual Section 10.
This SSM was published 1/28/15.

There are no issues with the car on the freeway but it's leagues ahead of other cars at 40mph. The car is most fun to drive around 40mph. Cars like the Camry are more comfortable when driving straight lines for long periods of time.

So if I am understanding this, if you have a 100mile trip you would get to the destination faster if you go 30mph than if you go 80 mph, because at 80 you will need hours of time for charging (probably at least 4 or 5 hours of charging time) with the reduced range.

joejoe2 said:
So if I am understanding this, if you have a 100mile trip you would get to the destination faster if you go 30mph than if you go 80 mph, because at 80 you will need hours of time for charging (probably at least 4 or 5 hours of charging time) with the reduced range.
Basically, yes.

However, in the best case, when using an EVSE that can supply all the current the FFE needs, it only takes about 3.5 hours to charge (not "at least 4 or 5"). I'm also assuming you'd only need a single intervening charge to cover 100 miles at 80 mph (while driving; 0 mph while charging) -- you should be able to cover 50 miles at 80 mph (I think).

But, even so, 3.5 hours is about how long it would take to cover 100 miles at 30 mph, which means you'd still get there faster.

The reason for this post is to help owners understand what the FFE can and can't do. If some one thinks he can drive at 70 mph for 70 miles they are in for a disapointment. The same trip at 45 mph is easily do able with range to spare. :p

jeffand said:
The reason for this post is to help owners understand what the FFE can and can't do. If some one thinks he can drive at 70 mph for 70 miles thier infor a disapointment. The same trip at 45 mph is easily do able with range to spare. :p
Grammar Nazi says, "they're" not a mispelling of "their." :lol:

jeffand said:
The reason for this post is to help owners understand what the FFE can and can't do. If some one thinks he can drive at 70 mph for 70 miles thier infor a disapointment. The same trip at 45 mph is easily do able with range to spare. :p
It is eye opening for me, I would like to take my FFE on road trips, but I want to go to areas with little or no public charging. Usually all one can do is go to car dealers, usually that means driving off-route and/or waiting for a dealer to move a bunch of cars that are blocking the hook-up. This can easily add an hour of time onto the charging time. I didn't appreciate how going slowly could save so much time. I guess I will just have to get used to the cars behind me honking, and drivers giving me dirty looks when they speed by.

Here is the actual speed chart (only for the good areas of town):

10 MPH = 149.9 wh/mi -10 miles to fix broken window from rock throwing by bikers
20 MPH = 151.4 wh/mi -50 miles to casket fitting for funeral
30 MPH = 174.1 wh/mi -15 miles to nearest dealership for body work after being run into a ditch
40 MPH = 194.5 wh/mi - last 10 miles irate grandma honking, wants you to pull over to the side of the road
50 MPH = 253.6 wh/mi -10 miles to ER, rear ended by a 18 wheeler
60 MPH = 306.8 wh/mi - a squemish 62.9 miles and you better not be going uphill!
70 MPH = 356.6 wh/mi - 54.1 miles
80 MPH = 433.8 wh/mi - 44.5 miles

joejoe2 said:
Or if you drive at 39 mph, you get there in 2.56 hours and not have to charge along the way. :D

Joejoe2, if you can't find multiple charging stations along the way, use a different car or rent a car for trips.

Basically you're going to drive as fast as possible and yet have enough juice to make it to your destination then charge back up. Also, charging at 6.6kwh, you're charging at about 20 miles per hour. So 20mph is the breakeven number between charging and driving.

Back