Some Serious Discussion About How to Save on Sirius

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unplugged

We have all experienced or will soon experience the end of our "Free Trial" on Sirius radio and traffic. When that day occurs, you will be met with a letter demanding $14.50 a month plus $3.99 for Sirius traffic. What does all this mean, and is there a discount possible?

The $14.50 a month is the "Select" plan with over 140 channels that was included in your free 6 month Sirius trial. The $3.99 "Traffic" is for those green, yellow or red bars on your Nav map and is also how your navigation calculates your arrival time based on traffic.

One way sure way to save money is to drop both Sirius plans and you will be left with Sirius "Travel Link." The Travel Link is how you get freebies like theater times and EV charge station info. This is a five year free trial. Or you could opt for the "Just Music" plan which costs $9.99 a month. Also, despite what the service representative might tell you, you can sign up for the Traffic only plan for $3.99 a month.

The other way to save money takes a little more effort. Don't call the 888 number listed on your renewal letter. This number sends you to a rep who doesn't have a clue about keeping you as a customer. Instead, call 866-635-2349 where you will be greeted by a friendly computer voice. Select the correct option (Yes, you are a customer that speaks English, yes you have plan, etc.). But finally, wait for the option to CANCEL your service. This puts you directly to the retention department.

Tell the friendly guy or gal that you would like to end your service on the free trial date because it costs too much and, after all, this is a Focus, not a BMW or Lexus. Between sobs, let the rep know that if only the price were a little less, like half off, you would consider keeping the service. You should be offered a half-off the Select Plan for $86 a year. (If not, you need to polish your acting skills. Hang up and try again.) The regular price is $174 a year.

EDIT: BTW, this works even if you already have a more expensive monthly plan or are about to renew your yearly plan. Give it a try next time you are about to be automatically renewed.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to get a deal on the Traffic. This remains at $4 a month or $48 a year in addition to any radio plan.

Hope this helps.

I did sign upfor the real basic version of travel link for $20 a year. I did have to pay an extra $5 to renew because I let my subsciption laps. I did this half a year ago so prices and deals may of changed. Paying once a year will save you money. And I do think most of us can afford to pay $20 once a year.

After my wife's Ford Flex expired, we kept getting letters to renew and they got as low as $5/mo. I think it was for only 3 or 6 months.

Half off doesn't sound too bad. I really only listen to 2 channels...sometimes 4...ok 6. That's all! I see they have an A La Cart option; however, half off the regular price sounds pretty good. I definitely appreciate no commercials.

Did anyone get the 2 year trial that was offered by Ford around the beginning of 2013?

My FFE is a early 2013, and after 6 months the subscription expired. I didn't renew because of high monthly cost for somthing used on a limited basis. Only thing missing out of the travel link is the real time traffiic flow information.

Unplugged- are you sure the Sirius Traffic information is used in the navigation's ETA? During my 6 month trial, the ETAs seemed to ignore traffic alerts and base solely on speed limits. That was back when I was using the previous MFT version, though. Was this a fix in the latest MFT update?

Also, EV charging station locations are still available on the nav system when Sirius is inactive. I am 99% sure my Travel Link feature was disabled when the other features were disabled. When Travel Link is active, does the EVSE map update itself?

dmen said:
Unplugged- are you sure the Sirius Traffic information is used in the navigation's ETA? During my 6 month trial, the ETAs seemed to ignore traffic alerts and base solely on speed limits. That was back when I was using the previous MFT version, though. Was this a fix in the latest MFT update?

Also, EV charging station locations are still available on the nav system when Sirius is inactive. I am 99% sure my Travel Link feature was disabled when the other features were disabled. When Travel Link is active, does the EVSE map update itself?
Sorry about not answering this earlier. Only 8 months....

No, I am not sure that the navigation uses the traffic info for ETA. In fact, I don't give much credit to the nav system for much of anything. It is more reliable than Google Maps (but certainly not more accurate), I found. Also, since it doesn't need internet to operate, it works outside of cell coverage. Google does not, unless you download a map before hand.

As to charging station updates. The Travel Link subscription is included by Ford for five years. Most FFEs will still have that feature, even if the rest of Sirius is not included. This means that charging stations should update even if the rest of Sirius is unavailable.

unplugged said:
The Travel Link subscription is included by Ford for three years. Most FFEs will still have that feature, even if the rest of Sirius is not included. This means that charging stations should update even if the rest of Sirius is unavailable.
Is this true of all Fords or just the FFE?

hybridbear said:
As far as I can find out, free five year Travel Link is only available with the Focus Electric and Energi models. As you probably know, the Travel Link only provides charging station info along with current and forecast weather, gas station locations (okay, maybe your friend needs to find some gas) and prices, sports scores and schedules, and theater locations with movie listings and times.

What's nice is that if you let your other Sirius features lapse, you can get them back without paying a "reconnect" fee because you have the complimentary five year Travel Link.

Here's a brochure from 2011 that still appear to be up to date: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/innovations/landing/pdf/11-3224_FL_TRTL_Bro_6-11R-Cropped.pdf

Travel Link is available currently only to Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles.

I don't think the charging stations update at all via over-the-air from the Sirius broadcast--unless the radio stores them internally. The SD card with the navigation info is read-only.

You should be able to check: Just look for new stations that have shown up in Chargepoint and/or plugshare and see if they show up on your MFT screen (I have a new Chargepoint station near me that I added to plugshare last month--so far it hasn't shown up on the MFT points of interest map and I have reason to believe that it won't).

Travel Link is available on ALL MyFordTouch (and MyLincolnTouch) models--we had it on our Edge, my sister has it on her Edge, we have it on our new Escape.

Ford/Sirius just announced that TravelLink will be free for 5 years for all new vehicle purchases starting in 2015 (this is new, prior to this year it was the standard 6 month subscription included with the radio). Here is the press release about that:
http://investor.siriusxm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=855681

jmueller065 said:
I don't think the charging stations update at all via over-the-air from the Sirius broadcast--unless the radio stores them internally. The SD card with the navigation info is read-only.
I believe there are two locations for charging stations within the nav system. One on your nav (points of interest and on your map) and one on Sirius Travel Link. I'll check when I next drive on how to get the Sirius locations.

Edit: You can find the list by going on the Nav screen to "Menu", then "Sirius Travel Link", then "Charging Stations". As far as I know, this list is updated regularly, sort of like gas station locations and pricing or movie theater information. The nav map with charging locations and points of interest is set on the SD card and is not updated.

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
As far as I can find out, free five year Travel Link is only available with the Focus Electric and Energi models. As you probably know, the Travel Link only provides charging station info along with current and forecast weather, gas station locations (okay, maybe your friend needs to find some gas) and prices, sports scores and schedules, and theater locations with movie listings and times.

What's nice is that if you let your other Sirius features lapse, you can get them back without paying a "reconnect" fee because you have the complimentary five year Travel Link.

Here's a brochure from 2011 that still appear to be up to date: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/innovations/landing/pdf/11-3224_FL_TRTL_Bro_6-11R-Cropped.pdf

Travel Link is available currently only to Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles.
That explains a ton!! My parents' C-Max Energi still has TravelLink even though their Sirius subscription has expired. But our Fusion Hybrid lost TravelLink when our Sirius trial subscription expired. Some FFH Forum users who also have a Fusion Energi have commented that they still have TravelLink after their Sirius 6 month trial ended. I had searched online but failed to find out any information about the Energi/BEV having a longer TravelLink free period. I like TravelLink and am glad that the FFE will have it.

Thank you!!

jmueller065 said:
Now I see what you were doing. You were using the "Dest" button, not the "Menu" button to find charging stations. Then, you went to "Point of Interest" and the "Charging Locations".

When using this method, you access the SD card that never updates. You just have to use the "Menu" button and then go to "SIRIUS Travel Link" to find the updated charging locations.

unplugged said:
Now I see what you were doing. You were using the "Dest" button, not the "Menu" button to find charging stations. Then, you went to "Point of Interest" and the "Charging Locations".

When using this method, you access the SD card that never updates. You just have to use the "Menu" button and then go to "SIRIUS Travel Link" to find the updated charging locations.
Intuitive, no?

WattsUp said:
Intuitive, no?
Very impressive :roll: The logical question would be, if Ford is going to provide the Sirius Travel Link for free, why have three places to go to in order to find charging locations? (The map, the Points of Interest and Travel Link.)

Ford should have known that the SD card resourced info would be out of date immediately. It seems both confusing and unnecessary.

Sadly no: That menu item on my car brings up the exact same list of charge stations as does using the point of interest search on the Nav screen. Its just a "handy shortcut" to the same search (and it brings up the exact same list of charge stations for either route). I've searched the system for some stations that I know were not in the car before and can't find them. So far I have no evidence to say that the car updates the charge stations.

You can see this: Go into the list one way and change the sort (switch from either by Distance or A-Z) then back out and go into the list from the other way...it remembers the sort (it seems to save the sort for each screen: Set Charge Stations to by Distance, go to Fuel Prices and set that to A-Z now go back to Charge Stations--it will still be by Distance).

It should: Travel Link includes updates for the list of Movie Theaters, the list of Fuel Stations, and the list of Charge Stations. In addition the car receives these updates whether you are subscribed or not--thus even if your subscription runs out you'll still receive database updates (you just can't check fuel prices, get movie times, check sports scores, or get weather). (I believe the car properly does do the Fuel and Movie updates because that is common to all MyFordTouch and MyLincolnTouch equipped vehicles.)

The reason I'm skeptical that the charge stations are not being updated is simply due to the "tacked on" nature of all the EV features in MFT (like the popup question "Will you charge.." when entering a nav destination that you can't voice reply to). Besides: If they really thought it through they would have simply replaced the "Fuel Prices" button with the Charge Station button--its an EV we have no need to check Fuel Prices!

Note: I've said: "The SD Card appears to be read only". This is borne out by attempting to use an old one as a thumbdrive in Windows. It is possible that the card appears to be read only to windows but not to MFT. (and I forgot about the Movies and Fuel updates when talking about this..sigh)

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:

Our FFE arrived today and TravelLink is not active. Is there any documentation anywhere that I can refer to when calling Sirius about this?

Just call Sirius and sign up. Since you took over a lease they likely cancelled their contract on the car (and if they had the car longer than 6 months the free trail would have ran out). Thus if you want Travel Link you'll have to pay for it.

jmueller065 said:
Just call Sirius and sign up. Since you took over a lease they likely cancelled their contract on the car (and if they had the car longer than 6 months the free trail would have ran out). Thus if you want Travel Link you'll have to pay for it.
The above posts say that it is free for 5 years on the Focus Electric and Energi vehicles. Reread this post: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1590#p12271

Read the last entry posted by me: Its free for 5 years starting with 2015 model year vehicles. Here is the press release:
http://investor.siriusxm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=855681

Up until that point Sirius/XM Travel Link was included with the 6-month free trail that comes with new vehicles. In fact here is a quote from the brochure linked in that thread:
all Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with either the Voice-
activated Navigation System or a MyFord/MyLincoln Touch
Radio with navigation include a 6-month trial to the Sirius
Select package, SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link.
Very bottom left of page 2 here:
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/innovations/landing/pdf/11-3224_FL_TRTL_Bro_6-11R-Cropped.pdf

Back