Saw another one on the road and a question...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

I saw another one on the road today (this makes about five total that I've seen driving around but then I'm in Ford country--many Ford employees live in my city).

My question: The one I saw was driving in the opposite direction towards me with the headlights on. Does the FFE have Daytime Running Lights? (My ICE Focus doesn't). Or perhaps that one was for a different market than US? (Canada?)

They must have manually turned their headlights on. I have a 2013 FFE delivered in California, and it doesn't have DRL. (I don't know about the 2012.)

The FFE does have automatic headlights, tho. When it gets dark enough (normally around dusk, or after going into a parking garage, etc.), the lights come on. (Does the ICE Focus have auto-headlights?) I just leave the light switch in the "auto" setting at the time. But, if you want the lights to come on otherwise, you have to use one of the manual settings.

Actually you've touched on something I've noticed:

Everyone has such a high opinion of the FFE, and rightfully so it is a very nicely equipped Focus with a killer powertrain. Here is the thing though: It is NOT the top of the line Focus! Yes its the most expensive Focus you can purchase but, in terms of option content, it isn't the top of the line.

You can order up a Focus Titanium that can park itself--yes you read that correctly the car can parallel park itself See "Active Park Assist". In addition a fully loaded Focus Titanium goes for about $29k--a full $10000 less than the FFE--just built up a loaded Titanium Focus and it only comes to $28,330 including a moonroof.

Please no angry replies just pointing something out here--I know how "the internet" can get! LOL (but but it isn't electric--correct see above about powertrain).

I noticed something odd a few days ago when I parked my FFE at my local Kroger store in South Lyon. When I got out of the car to head into Kroger, I saw my headlights were on. Thinking I banged the round switch with my knee getting out of the car and turned on the headlights (I've done it before), I opened the car door and found that the headlight switch was in the off position. Hmmm... It was rainy that day but not all that dark out (middle of the day). Upon returning to the car after shopping, the lights had turned themselves off. Since I live on a dirt road, mud can sometimes coat the car (especially the back end) so thick that the license plate is barely readable and the rear view camera unusable. I have to think that it's possible for the light sensor, (that controls the automatic headlights) wherever it is, to become covered with mud such that the car thinks it's dark out and triggers the headlights to come on. But then that should only happen when the headlight switch is in the automatic position.... When it happened to me, the headlight switch was in the off position.

That's really odd if the switch was in the off position (turned all the way counter-clockwise). The headlights should not have come on at all. The automatic feature requires the switch to be in the auto position (turned all the way clockwise).

Btw, the light sensor is actually located inside the car. It's that square-ish "nub" thingy you see at the very front-center of the dash, between the vents. In daylight, cover it with your hand or a magazine and your headlights should come on (if the switch is in the "auto" position). Uncover it, and they'll go off again.

Hmm, I guess if you cover the sensor up with black tape, you can add a "Daylight Running Lights" feature to your FFE. ;)

----

Edit: I previously said that the sensor was located at the top of the windshield, through a notch at the center of the headliner. It seemed to make total sense, but I had jumped to the wrong conclusion after reading some information about the normal FFE having its light sensor built into the rear-view mirror. Since the rear-view in the FFE (at least in my 2013 model) has no electronics, I assumed Ford cheaped-out and simply moved the sensor inside the overhead cowling. But, no, it's the nub thingy.

jmueller065 said:
Actually you've touched on something I've noticed:

Everyone has such a high opinion of the FFE, and rightfully so it is a very nicely equipped Focus with a killer powertrain. Here is the thing though: It is NOT the top of the line Focus! Yes its the most expensive Focus you can purchase but, in terms of option content, it isn't the top of the line.

You can order up a Focus Titanium that can park itself--yes you read that correctly the car can parallel park itself See "Active Park Assist". In addition a fully loaded Focus Titanium goes for about $29k--a full $10000 less than the FFE--just built up a loaded Titanium Focus and it only comes to $28,330 including a moonroof.

Please no angry replies just pointing something out here--I know how "the internet" can get! LOL (but but it isn't electric--correct see above about powertrain).

MSRP to MSRP yes there is a large gap, but the FFE qualifies for $11750 in Fed and Ford rebates, I assure the titanium has some too, but won't be near that amount. Once you factor that in the gap is narrowed considerably. But yes the FFE will still be more and not as equipped... I have had mine for 2 days and it is worth the experience LOL!

Driving this thing is a trip!

Back