Round trip to the mountains here in San Diego

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolorin

So today we have made it there and back on our FFE 2014 to Julian, CA. Julian is situated over 4,000 ft above sea level and 40 miles from my house. Total elevation gained was over 6,500 ft. This was whole family and a stroller. 17.7 Kw-hr used round trip (13.3 there and 4.4 back). Still have about 8% left on the charge

zolorin said:
So today we have made it there and back on our FFE 2014 to Julian, CA. Julian is situated over 4,000 ft above sea level and 40 miles from my house. Total elevation gained was over 6,500 ft. This was whole family and a stroller. 17.7 Kw-hr used round trip (13.3 there and 4.4 back). Still have about 8% left on the charge
Congrats on your trip. Sounds similar to the Mt Hamilton Hill climb I and a couple other forum members completed a little while back. We took our three FFEs to the top, which required a total climb of about 5000 feet.

----

EDIT: Thanks to dmen catching my mistake(s), in the interest of not confusing anybody, I have deleted a portion of this post that contained incorrect deductions.

Wattsup, you misread the post. They used 13.3 kWh on the way up; 17.7 kWh was the total used for round trip- correlating with 92% of battery. They had approximately 5.7 kWh remaining at the turnaround. I don't believe you can calculate regenerated energy from these numbers. All you can say is what is obvious: way up uses more, way down uses less. 4000 miles elevation drop spread over 40 miles isn't nearly steep enough to coast without using battery power and end up net gaining energy.

dmen said:
Wattsup, you misread the post. ... I don't believe you can calculate regenerated energy from these numbers.
Thanks.

All I could come up using the correct numbers (i.e., 13.3 kWh going up, 4.4 kWh down, 1.5 kWh remaining at home) was that they must have generated at least 0.2 kWh. (Though I'm sure they probably regenerated more than that.) But, as you correctly imply, there is no way to determine exactly what was regenerated since, for example, any amount of energy could have been regenerated and then consumed over and over, all without leaving any trace in the final numbers.

For instance, they could have rolled all the way home in Neutral, occasionally shifting to Drive in order to use the 4.4 kWh mentioned, but regenerating nothing except for the final 0.2 kWh needed to arrive home with the stated 1.5 kWh (8% of 19 kWh) in the battery. Now, I'm sure they didn't do that (roll home in Neutral), but my point is, they could have, and, as you point out (though implication), they could have also ended up with the exact same result in any number of other ways.

ya we did not leave it in neutral for the duration of the back trip.

It was regenerated and burned all continuous.

Could we have done better, sure, I am still impressed. This is with two adults, and a baby with stroller and baby stuff (might as well call it 3 people)

What is the most amazing is the synergy of my optimization scheme. My wife loves its. I have built the solar system myself and sized it for an extra vehicle. So my bill is nearly zero (they charge us a minimum fee of $5.00 a month, shame on you SDGE).

My cost per mile is about 1 to 1.2 cents a mile (the rate at which SDGE is willing to pay for my KW-hr).

Back