Roof Air Spoiler: Is it worth?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Define 'worth it'.

All it does is look nice...it doesn't add any actual value to the car, and, if anything, adds drag and would reduce range.

mcowger said:
Define 'worth it'.

All it does is look nice...it doesn't add any actual value to the car, and, if anything, adds drag and would reduce range.

I was wondering if it would help with the range, but you are saying it won't.

Yesim-Mike said:
Most spoilers on most cars do next to nothing, positively or negatively. They are all about looks.

As far as the FFE, the only things that can actually noticeably help with range are:

1) Reducing speed.
2) Reducing weight.
3) Maintaining proper tire inflation (38 PSI).
4) Increasing battery capacity.

Unfortunately, only three of these options are available to us.

Yesim-Mike said:
mcowger said:
Define 'worth it'.

Spoilers (real ones, not the 'just looks' ones) work by redirecting air upward in order increase downforce on the car, to improve traction. This redirection of air is drag (which is why its a fine balancing act in high end racing like Formula 1). That increased drag increases fuel/power consumption.

If anything, the addition of the spoiler would either have zero effect or negative effect on range.

Back