Regenerative brakes not engaging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthlew

Not constant, but sporadic over the past months, following initial start, the regenerative brakes don't engage right away. I either have to:
1. slam on the brakes or
2. punch the accelleration or
3. come to a stop, put it in park

I can still brake, but its like I'm in neutrel, no regeneration going on and no slowing down when not accelerating.
Obviously, I should take it in, but I'm in Washington state where FFE are rare and service techs may not be EV wizards. I wanted to see if anyone else has experience.
2015 FFE with 11K miles, I've been sole owner/driver

If the battery is at 50% (or something lower than at least 80%), you're in "L" and you don't see the regen wheel when you let off, something is wrong. Dealer time. . . .

If you're fully charged, regen won't work until the battery is depleted a bit.

I've been driving this car for 20 months and this has just started happening. It's sporadic, but only occurs directly after a starting the car and driving. Eventually the regenerative brakes engage.
It has nothing to do with D or L or the level of charge.
The brakes should be regenerative anytime there is acceleration and you let off the accelerator and coast i.e. the car gradually begins to slow.

I'm concerned about this condition, it could be transmission or brakes or both, but before going to Ford I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it?

Mine does exactly that, as I think they all do, if you drive it right after charging fully. Do you charge it overnight to 100%? I've never experienced it after starting the car otherwise, even if the charge level is fairly high. For example, one store I go to is pretty much all downhill from my house. I can get there with 99% charge remaining. If I come out of the store and drive way with 99% showing, it won't happen then. Only right after charging.

Mine does the same thing. I've had it for 4 years now. As stated, if the battery is full, the car will not regen. When my car was newer, it happened very consistently. I had to go a mile or 2 before regen would start. But now, since some of the capacity is gone, it rarely happens now. The variables that affect it are likely those that influence the battery getting a "full" charge. In other words, if it happens or not depends on battery temp, charging time, 120V or 240V charger, etc. For whatever reason, when I charge with my 120V charger at work, I notice no regen until I've left the facitily; but from home, I notice no-regen if the car has been plugged in over a day in the 240V charger.

darthlew said:
I'm concerned about this condition, it could be transmission or brakes or both, but before going to Ford I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it?
That is normal behavior as designed (as mentioned before me). You can't fill a glass more than full; same thing applies here: It is protecting the battery from overcharging.

Back