regeneration while coasting

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewired

Some electric vehicles utilize regeneration whenever you coast and take your foot off the accelerator, besides just when you brake. I do like the feeling of engine braking that some cars have, particularly the european cars I have driven. I am just wondering why Ford didn't/doesn't do that in order to gain a few additional miles. It would seem to be something that would bea relatively simple software adjustment. Whenever you take your foot off the accelerator it begins a small amount of regen.

What do you all think?

What do you think is creating the drag when you take your foot off the pedal? Or when you shift into L?

WindPowered is correct.
I am pretty sure the owner's manual says something about regen when coasting (but I don't have the energy to go to my garage and check)- I believe the section explaining what "L" does says that there's more aggressive regen in L vs D I think. It is a logical conclusion then that there is some regen when coasting in D. Don't take our word for it- coast in N, then shift into D w/o foot on accelerator. You should feel the car slow more quickly in D than in N, as I do. If you are looking for more assertive coasting regen, just drive in L all the time, firewired. But you aren't going to improve your energy efficiency or "gain a few extra miles" doing that.

I thought L would increase the regen, somewhat similar to the "eco" setting in the Leaf, but in the Focus EV manual regarding the low function it says:

L (Low)
• Provides maximum motor braking.
• Is not intended for use under extended or normal driving conditions
and results in less miles per charge.
• The transmission may be shifted into L (Low) at any vehicle speed.

So I don't think it actually increases regen as it actually causes lower miles per charge. Wouldn't you think that if lifting your foot off the accelerator or going into low speed caused regen you would also get the corresponding spinning regen icon on the dash with those activities?

You may be interested in the "Using D or L" thread:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=976

But, yes, the car regenerates in either D or L. Switching to L simply adds a greater amount of motor resistance. It does not regenerate in N, but "driving" in N is somewhat dangerous (in any car) as you've given up an important aspect of vehicle control.

When you apply the brakes in the FFE, it is sort of like being in a "variable, controlled L" setting (until you brake harder than motor resistance can slow the car on its own, and then the regular brakes start contributing as well). The percentage shown by the Braking Coach reflects this distribution... for example, if the regular brakes contributed 20% of the resistance towards stopping the car, your score will be 80%.

@firewired
What the manual calls "motor braking" is indeed regeneration or recapture of energy. In an ICE vehicle, motor braking produces heat. In the FFE, some energy is indeed lost as heat, but a large part is recaptured by the generator. It would make no sense for an EV to have a motor braking function and just lose that energy to heat. With feet off pedals, the electric motor's generator function provides resistance to front axle rotation, slowing the vehicle. Low gives "maximum" resistance, Drive gives some degree less. When you lightly step on the brake, the car's computers increase generator resistance to further slow the car down. Only when you step on the brakes past a threshold point do the disc brake pads push against the rotors.
Yes, if I designed the vehicle I might have it show the regen spinning wheel whenever the vehicle is converting forward movement energy into electrical energy, but it appears that those who actually designed the vehicle chose to only show that graphic with brake-pedal regen. I think the idea is coaching. No one needs coaching when they are coasting, but the graphic when braking reminds one not to mash on the pedal and instead ease down on it and try for 100% (as long as the schmoe in front of you isn't slamming on his own brake).
I have no experience with the Eco mode in the Leaf. I would expect an Eco mode to limit acceleration, top speed, that sort of thing- that's where you're going to save energy.
The L setting most definitely increases coasting regen, and this aggressive coasting regen most definitely lowers miles per charge. In that "maximum" setting, more heat is produced and so a larger portion of available energy is lost, therefore it results in less miles per charge. When you should be trying to coast without using the battery as far as possible and slowing down as gradually as possible, a setting that does the opposite won't be as energy-efficient.

Back