Reduce FFE weight by...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I can't wait to see pictures or video from Refuel. You'll probably be the first FFE at that event.

Please post here after you've been to the races.

I'd think that he will need to change out the low rolling resistance tires to something that will stick.
Other wise getting that torque down onto the track will be a problem.

Zurc.

magudaman said:
So if I pull/change all those item before I head off to the races, I will be 120.5lbs lighter. Based on the calcs that is almost 5hp more and shaves off 0.3s on the 0-60.

Too bad the FFE acceleration seems to be software limited. You can really feel it on the bottom end. I'm sure Ford was being cautious with the transmission.

magudaman said:
I just got done do some weight reduction tests as I prep to head to the track day in July (refuelraces.com).

Here is what I pulled and weighed:

Item LBS
Sealant Tire and charger with tray 9.5
bottom tray cover 3.5
rear seat 40 14.5
rear seat 60 (includes center head rest) 30.5
head rests (larger ones both) 3
trunk cover upper 3
lower seat 60 11.5
Lower seat 40 5
bxt67R Battery replacement (switch to 4 lbs lifepo4 unit) 25
floor mats all but driver 2.5
Trunk organizer shelf 12.5

So if I pull/change all those item before I head off to the races, I will be 120.5lbs lighter. Based on the calcs that is almost 5hp more and shaves off 0.3s on the 0-60. Not bad for free.

Forgot to mention, when the rear seats are out, there ton of space in the rear seat area, pretty impressive.

Cool! That's good info... If it were me, I'd know how to shave off another 40lbs.... but that's because I'm 40lb overweight right now. Not sure what your situation is, but in my case it would be hard to lose almost 20% of my body weight by next month.

jmueller065 said:
I meant the plant videos, like this one starting at 1:00 or so you see the D-Brace being installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CQSpTyPXc
The Ford editor doesn't seem to realize that the natural order of progression is to start at the beginning. Instead, the video starts at the last assembly point and moves to the first. That's just weird.

As someone with significant track time (in a previous life)... couple things.

You need to pull that driver floormat (hopefully they force you to). It can jam under the pedals and you'll have a bad time.

By the time you put on sticky tires and different wheels you've basically killed most of those gains (remember unsprung weight = 4x the sprung weight)...

Over the course of an event, if you're not a semi-pro+ driver, all of this is for naught since your mistakes will mean far more time lost than adding lightness.

And like someone else said, the best and cheapest place to lose weight on a race car is the driver :lol:

You might want to start the race with a full, cool battery. Tesla owners get better acceleration times with fuller charges. You also don't want the cooling system coming on when you're stomping on the pedal.

RickInAustin said:
I've ordered a 2014 FFE and it's scheduled to arrive the second week in July. I'm very excited!

Has anyone considered removing the back seat to reduce weight and increase cargo space?
I'm ditching mine when I get one! Going to have a metal guy make some sort of cargo tray or something.

Sorry for such a delayed response. I never did end up taking out my battery as I couldn't confirm what would happen when the car lost 12v power. I remember reading about the Think City cars occasionally getting bricked if their 12v battery died for extended periods of time, so it made me nervous. I honestly was going to replace the battery with a 20ah unit, just enough to keep it alive for a week of not turning the car on.

You can see my write up on the race and photos in this thread here:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2151

Back