Problems with myford mobile

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the same issue as before. App on my phone will not update and no text message indicating car was charged. This will be a pain if I have to do this every couple of months!

Has anyone had recent issues with MyFord Mobile? Both the Focus Electric and my parents' C-Max Energi have been losing their connection to MFM if not driven for more than about 24 hours. Logging in to the website and updating the car that way seems to have no impact. Has anyone else been having this issue?

What do you mean by "losing their connection"? Do you mean that pressing the "Update" button times out and doesn't actually update? (I have this occasionally sometimes pressing update again right away works, and sometimes I have to wait a few hours.)

The cars aren't in constant contact with Ford's servers. It appears that they only communicate for specific events (starting, stopping, errors, etc.).

jmueller065 said:
What do you mean by "losing their connection"? Do you mean that pressing the "Update" button times out and doesn't actually update? (I have this occasionally sometimes pressing update again right away works, and sometimes I have to wait a few hours.)

The cars aren't in constant contact with Ford's servers. It appears that they only communicate for specific events (starting, stopping, errors, etc.).
Yes. It says "update failed". The car will not communicate to program Go Times, lock/unlock/start or adjust value charge profiles.

The problem with debugging that is you have to figure out if the app is having problems communicating with Ford's servers or if Ford's servers are having issues communicating with the car--its a 2 step process.
Since you said that you still have access via the website when it happens I would suspect your mobile is having issues communicating with Ford's servers. When this happens switch over to the browser on your phone and see if you have internet access at the same time--or better yet attempt to access MFM via the browser on the phone..

jmueller065 said:
The problem with debugging that is you have to figure out if the app is having problems communicating with Ford's servers or if Ford's servers are having issues communicating with the car--its a 2 step process.
Since you said that you still have access via the website when it happens I would suspect your mobile is having issues communicating with Ford's servers. When this happens switch over to the browser on your phone and see if you have internet access at the same time--or better yet attempt to access MFM via the browser on the phone..
No. Nothing will connect to the car. The car is the one with the issue. It will not connect to the server and update. On the C-Max I've tried just unplugging it and plugging it back in but that also fails to restore the connection. The only way to restore the connection is to use the key fob to lock/unlock the car or remote start it with the fob.

You can try resetting the telematics module. On the Focus the fuse for it is in the drivers side rear fuse panel. Fuse F1 in the "luggage compartment behind the left side wheel well" (in my owners manual its page 282). Pull the fuse wait 30 seconds or so and replace it.

In addition: How is your AT&T cellular coverage? Ford uses AT&T as the cellular provider--if the cars are not getting a good signal then they won't be able to update the server.

jmueller065 said:
You can try resetting the telematics module. On the Focus the fuse for it is in the drivers side rear fuse panel. Fuse F1 in the "luggage compartment behind the left side wheel well" (in my owners manual its page 282). Pull the fuse wait 30 seconds or so and replace it.

In addition: How is your AT&T cellular coverage? Ford uses AT&T as the cellular provider--if the cars are not getting a good signal then they won't be able to update the server.
AT&T coverage is fine. The issue is that there seems to be a time-out issue. This issue did not exist until recently. Now if the car sits for about 24 hours without being driven it disconnects from the MFM servers at Ford and will not reconnect until you use the key fob to wake up the vehicle. I discovered this issue with the Focus Electric that is incoming to us and it has also been happening to my parents with their C-Max Energi for about a week now. I'm not sure how long before that the issue would have started because they usually drive the car at least once every day.

Also, does everyone have the issue with their MFM trip summaries not showing any data for Wh/mi? The kWh used, miles, driving score, regen miles & brake score all show correctly on the website, but Wh/mi shows as "--". The C-Max Energi has no issues with correctly displaying MPGe on MFM.

WattsUp said:
Double that "Yup."

You will note several items offered on the myFordMobile site that are incomplete. Look at the rankings. These actually used to be better before they revamped the website. Now, they are jokes that have no relationship to reality.

hybridbear said:
That is quite annoying. I was looking forward to being able to track Wh/mi in MFM.

The trip/charge log data is often spotty. Half my trips are missing braking and/or driving scores and all are missing average economy (Wh/mi). However, The "my driving" tab shows average energy use in a bar graph, and you can change the interval from month to week or individual trip so that should serve your purpose.

hybridbear said:
Has anyone had recent issues with MyFord Mobile? Both the Focus Electric and my parents' C-Max Energi have been losing their connection to MFM if not driven for more than about 24 hours. Logging in to the website and updating the car that way seems to have no impact. Has anyone else been having this issue?
Ford appears to have fixed this issue on Wednesday or Thursday of this week. The loss of connection has not happened since then.

I got to take my first short drives in the FFE this afternoon after it was delivered.

One trip shows Wh/mi and the other doesn't. Is this what everyone experiences?

hybridbear said:
One trip shows Wh/mi and the other doesn't. Is this what everyone experiences?
Yup, mostly the latter. And when I say mostly, I mean like 99% of the time.

For me, it used to be mostly the former back before the big "MFM migration" (where Ford merged the BEV and PHEV sites) last October.

I wonder if it has to do with AT&T cell coverage. The first trip (which shows Wh/mi) started & ended at our apartment and was my first drive in the FFE after it came off the car carrier which is in an area of fairly strong AT&T coverage. The second trip ended with me returning to work after going home to meet the shipper. I parked in the outer row of the first level of the parking ramp. Perhaps cell coverage is part of it.

Back