PHEV + EV Household

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought home a second Volt last week. Now 100% plug-in fleet (FFE + 2 Volts). Traded my wife's leased Acura in on the Volt....formerly $330 lease payments plus $200 in gas per month, now $225 lease plus $40 electric, not even counting $1500 bonus which effectively reduces payment another $40.

It is uncanny to me that most people are still resisting the change from obsolete ICE vehicles to EV and PHEV. I now worry about the price of gas about as much as I worry about the price of caviar.

I do not miss our old BMW, Acura, or Focus ICE. I love our new cars.

Cool, michael!!! So are there three drivers in the household, or two? Also, why not two BEVs instead of two EREVs?

I'm not questioning your judgement, just really curious since I have a 3-EV household too. Only two drivers, and the EREV was really to replace an ICE backup for my primary commuter, the FFE. I have a Ram 1500 truck that I could use as a backup commuter, but it won't get me into the HOV lane and would cost almost $20/day to run.

Three....myself, wife, and daughter, so we actually need three cars. My wife and daughter almost always are within the electric range of a Volt (and of course the FFE) so very rarely use gas, but they don't have the state of mind to be entirely dependent on a BEV and want flexibility in their plans. I have a predictable commute with charging at work so the FFE works fine for me. And of course on the unusual day that I need to use a Volt, one or the other of them will manage fine on the FFE.

I have a 6 kW EVSE at home that works with all three cars, plus a 220 outlet and a 3 kW turbo cord for those times two cars need to charge at once, so it's hassle-free.

I'm still pondering whether to change my LADWP to time-of-use, but for the time being I'm still on normal three-tier residential billing.

It's also fun to consider that the total lease payments for all three cars is substantially less than for a single BMW I3. Go figure...

My wife mentioned the other day that she hasn't touched a gas pump in almost four months. She drives our Focus Electric for her work commute and around town. In my previous job, I was able to charge at work. At one point, I drove our Fusion Energi for seven weeks, 1,600 miles, without stopping at a gas station. I've changed jobs and now have a company Fusion Hybrid. Gas for it at 40mpg goes on the company credit card. When I'm not driving on business, I drive the Energi around town mostly for short trips all in EV mode. My F-150 mostly stays parked except when I or another family member needs a truck to haul something or when we needed room for five adults and a lot of luggage for a short trip.

Before buying our first EV, we were shelling out $440 per month at the gas pump just for commuting and running around town. Now, gas is such a small expense on the credit card bill, it is hardly noticeable. Even with the bump on our electric bill, it's been like getting a $400 a month raise. I'm really pleased with the car choices we've made lately.

Last night my wife and I picked up a FFE. Paid a little more than I was hoping, but still after GA and Federal rebates next year it will be about the same cost as a stripped ICE Focus Hatch.

So 100% EV household (except for our Honda lawn mower).

It has that my Tesla Model S doesn't (and wasn't available when I bought it):

Heated Seats (with cloth seats)
Lighted vanity mirrors
Visors that block sun for people less than 6' tall
Cup holders that work
Cup holders for back seat people
Air compressor and slime kit
Storage bins (not a benefit in my book)
complementary parcel shelf
parcel shelf that lifts with the tailgate
much higher quality floor mats
daily timer to pre-heat(cool) the car
backup sensors
track indication on backup camera
FM radio reception (93.7, Atlanta Braves) in garage

Although the dealer aspect that Tesla is fortunate enough to have eliminated, was so unpleasant. The dealer I bought from was pretty good, but some of the other ones :shock: .

ElSupreme said:
Although the dealer aspect that Tesla is fortunate enough to have eliminated, was so unpleasant. The dealer I bought from was pretty good, but some of the other ones :shock: .

Let me guess... Sandy Springs Ford?

scoops said:
ElSupreme said:

Let me guess... Sandy Springs Ford?

I bought from Sandy Springs (they were ok). They were low pressure after I demonstrated some knowledge of the vehicle, and EVs in general. Mall of Georgia Ford ... well lets just say I wasn't going to buy from them unless they were best price by four digit difference. Other than that no one in Atlanta was interested except ordering and me waiting and paying sticker.

Gigi said:
Good people by me.

As good as car salesmen can be :lol:

I've just noticed that they seem to have a corner on the FFE market here in Atlanta. When I bought mine there were a whole three available in Georgia; all at Sandy Springs Ford.

(my car was originally delivered to another dealer in another state.)

scoops said:
Gigi said:
Good people by me.

As good as car salesmen can be :lol:

I've just noticed that they seem to have a corner on the FFE market here in Atlanta. When I bought mine there were a whole three available in Georgia; all at Sandy Springs Ford.

(my car was originally delivered to another dealer in another state.)

I learned that Sandy Springs Ford buys all the FFEs that get allocated to dealers within about 250 miles. And do this with other 'desirable' or limited availability vehicles. Apparently only Mall of Georgia isn't selling them to SS. Makes it tough to negotiate since they know there aren't other options. I could have ordered one and waited, but I doubt you would pay less than sticker showing that much desire for a vehicle. Not to mention waiting for 2-3 months.

ElSupreme said:
I learned that Sandy Springs Ford buys all the FFEs that get allocated to dealers within about 250 miles. And do this with other 'desirable' or limited availability vehicles.
Given their location - North Fulton/East Cobb, they know people in the area are able to pay what they ask. They gave me exactly what the payment calculator on the Ford website figured and they replaced the grill and repaired the front bumper cover after removing the license tag bracket free of charge. That made them good by me.

Howdy! Volt owner for about 10 months. We love it so much (220mpg average) we got a FFE on Tuesday. 240v charger on the to-do list became 240v STAT due to circuit overload trying to charge both. HVAC contractor friend came out last night to assess the job needs (50amp). I ordered a Clipper Creek last night that will be here tomorrow if shipped today. Soon to be "turbo-charged". ;)

As a north metro Atlanta resident, I purchased my certified pre-owned FFE advertized online from a Missouri dealer who arranged transport to my Georgia home for less than $700 shipping fee. So far, so good. Although my deal was a successful transaction, I remain reluctant to endorse such a plan for others. Mine was a low-mileage re-acquired vehicle (RAV) with limited warranty, but the price was about $5000 below the local dealers. Also, the car turned out to be mint. However, Dealer-initiated communication was non-existent, with zero follow-up after sale. Paperwork processing was without urgency. The vehicle was shipped prompty, but without temporary tags... and title processing took two weeks, even after numerous phone inquiries to the salesman, Sales Manager and Finance Mgr. After check clears, one has no clout. Caveat Emptor, brother.

raybarrx said:
As a north metro Atlanta resident, I purchased my certified pre-owned FFE advertized online from a Missouri dealer who arranged transport to my Georgia home for less than $700 shipping fee. So far, so good. Although my deal was a successful transaction, I remain reluctant to endorse such a plan for others. Mine was a low-mileage re-acquired vehicle (RAV) with limited warranty, but the price was about $5000 below the local dealers. Also, the car turned out to be mint. However, Dealer-initiated communication was non-existent, with zero follow-up after sale. Paperwork processing was without urgency. The vehicle was shipped prompty, but without temporary tags... and title processing took two weeks, even after numerous phone inquiries to the salesman, Sales Manager and Finance Mgr. After check clears, one has no clout. Caveat Emptor, brother.
Sounds like you got it all together but it took a some extra effort and it took a while. Glad you're able to enjoy your car now. What color did you get? I keep looking for FFEs and all I keep seeing are LEAFs.

PHEV and BEV house said:
Howdy! Volt owner for about 10 months. We love it so much (220mpg average) we got a FFE on Tuesday. 240v charger on the to-do list became 240v STAT due to circuit overload trying to charge both. HVAC contractor friend came out last night to assess the job needs (50amp). I ordered a Clipper Creek last night that will be here tomorrow if shipped today. Soon to be "turbo-charged". ;)
This really is such a smart way to go. We have been doing fine sharing one EVSE. It really helps that its 240V.

Back