OBDII data for HVB

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I did a short 6.3 mile trip starting with a full charge. The car showed 19,332 Wh ETE at the start of the trip. At the end it showed 17,382 Wh ETE but the trio summary only showed 1.3 kWh used.

Makes you wonder: How does the trip calculate used? We know ETE is an estimate (heck its the first E) but perhaps the trip value is an actual measured value, or calculated based on the controller settings at least something more accurate than an estimate.

jmueller065 said:
Makes you wonder: How does the trip calculate used? We know ETE is an estimate (heck its the first E) but perhaps the trip value is an actual measured value, or calculated based on the controller settings at least something more accurate than an estimate.
I am wondering this too. The other day in the Fusion I had a trip that showed 1.0 kWh used but had used 1.2 kWh according to the change in ETE. The Fusion ETE is recalibrated while the car is off and can drop as much as 0.3-0.4 kWh. The discrepancy is larger when you've used more energy from the HVB. I imagine the Focus should behave similarly.

hybridbear said:
This morning I did a short 6.3 mile trip starting with a full charge. The car showed 19,332 Wh ETE at the start of the trip. At the end it showed 17,382 Wh ETE but the trio summary only showed 1.3 kWh used.

Yes! Exactly! I see the same kind of thing every day. Typically, the ETE shows 18.5, but by the time my trip summary shows 1 kWh usage, this value might drop into the 16's

The ETE (and also the % charge remaining) drops very fast in the first few miles. This is a consistent pattern. So I no longer trust the ETE right after charge as a measure of true battery capacity.

Yesterday morning that same trip to start the day netted about a 2 kWh decrease in ETE while MFM & the Trip Summary say it took 1.5 kWh. The return trip took 1.3 kWh according to MFM & the car's Trip Summary and the ETE decreased by about 1.3 kWh.

This morning the same trip in the Energi starting with a full HVB resulted in a decrease in ETE of 1.34 kWh and a MFM & Trip Summary consumption of 1.4 kWh. So the Energi has discrepancies too.

jmueller065 said:
Really, looks legit to me:
9724/1024 = 8.6 right? j/k

(My OBDII Mx is arriving tonight..)

I'm intrigued by this comment. Do we think there is binary scaling, not decimal?

People are reporting ETE in the range 19 to almost 20, call it 19.5 typically. I am not using Forscan, but rather a beta test version of the ScanGauge. Could one be using divide by 1000 and the other divide by 1024? I'm pretty sure the scan gauge does binary division, so 18.5 kWh is read in as 18960. Could that explain why Forscan users are reporting initial ETEs in the 19-20 kWh class???? Really should be 19500/1024, more like 19 kWh??????

In other words, does Forscan display Wh? or does it show 1024 x kWh???

Sefs...you have the real deal scanner....what's your initial ETE???

michael said:
jmueller065 said:
Really, looks legit to me:
9724/1024 = 8.6 right? j/k

(My OBDII Mx is arriving tonight..)

I'm intrigued by this comment. Do we think there is binary scaling, not decimal?

People are reporting ETE in the range 19 to almost 20, call it 19.5 typically. I am not using Forscan, but rather a beta test version of the ScanGauge. Could one be using divide by 1000 and the other divide by 1024? I'm pretty sure the scan gauge does binary division, so 18.5 kWh is read in as 18960. Could that explain why Forscan users are reporting initial ETEs in the 19-20 kWh class???? Really should be 19500/1024, more like 19 kWh??????

In other words, does Forscan display Wh? or does it show 1024 x kWh???

Sefs...you have the real deal scanner....what's your initial ETE???
It would be sloppy programming if one is doing binary scaling since 1 kwh = 1000 Wh. I think you're right that sefs might be able to get us the best info...

Actually, you may have hit it on the nose by accident then. Or not, I'm not sure.....

I can't find on the internet the scaling factors that are needed, but in most cases the Ford numbers are scaled integers, and quite often the scale factors are binary.

Sefs?????? Or does anyone know the X-gauge code for ETE? I can't find it on the internet

This morning after a full charge and precondition my ETE read 19230; the GOM showed 99 miles; ECU_VPWR was 13.75; AVERTEMP was 82. Outside temperature was in the high 50s which means my garage temp was about 10 degrees higher than that (high 60s).

My car has 23,000 miles on it and is 25 months old.

OK

This morning before starting out:

Outside air, 65F
Battery Temp 91
18.4 kWh ETE

Then I started my drive and recorded the usage (trip meter) and ETE along the way. The table below also shows the sum of ETE and usage. In theory, one would expect the sum of the two to remain relatively constant, ideally equaling the original ETE

Used ETE Sum

0.0 18.4 18.4
0.1 18.0 18.1
0.2 17.8 18.1
0.3 17.6 17.9
0.4 17.5 17.9
0.5 17.3 17.8
1.0 16.8 17.8
2.0 15.7 17.7
3.0 14.3 17.3
4.0 13.1 17.1
5.0 12.0 17.0
6.0 11.0 17.0
7.0 9.9 16.9
8.0 8.9 16.9
9.0 7.8 16.8

Desination

9.1 7.7 16.8

264 Wh/mi 91 Bat temp

As you can see, there is a significant discrepancy between trip meter usage and reduction in ETE.

This trip was generally 60-65 MPH, slight net elevation gain, a few hills

I hope you'll forgive the silly questions--but I'm curious as to why your battery is so warm in the morning?

Our charge starts at 3:00 am and the battery does warm up significantly when charging.

Michael - have you been able to check ETE using FORScan to compare it to the special ScanGauge? I wonder if Jamie is on to something about it just being a scaling issue with the SG.

ETE was 19218 after charge and precondition today. I did notice that the precondition used some battery though (it was regenning earlier than yesterday on my commute).

jmueller065 said:
ETE was 19218 after charge and precondition today. I did notice that the precondition used some battery though (it was regenning earlier than yesterday on my commute).
Are you also tracking what the car reports for HVB temp & Abs SOC? Then you can normalize ETE to 100% to see how the ETE prediction changes as the HVB temp changes.

Back