Noise from Steering Column

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

When turning the steering wheel at low speeds; say, doing a U-turn in a parking lot, I can hear a distinct rubbing noise from within the steering column, kind of like something isn't lubricated properly. It does not sound like the PS pump or anything else like that, unless the pump is located at the upper end of the column. Is this normal? Everybody who rides in my car comments on it.

Keith

campfamily said:
When turning the steering wheel at low speeds; say, doing a U-turn in a parking lot, I can hear a distinct rubbing noise from within the steering column, kind of like something isn't lubricated properly. It does not sound like the PS pump or anything else like that, unless the pump is located at the upper end of the column. Is this normal? Everybody who rides in my car comments on it.

Keith
Doesn't sound normal. We don't notice any noise in our FFE.

campfamily said:

Keith

Remember its electric power assisted steering, not hydraulic so it does make different sounds. What you're describing does sound like what I hear when I back out of my garage and turn the wheel to get the car pointing for a 90 degree turn. I've got the same exact year and color you have. But it's hard to know considering I can't hear it, if you're not comfortable with it swing by the dealer.

Steve

Back