Nissan learns battery loss ` in Leaf vehicles will not blow

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybrown

Nissan is still not acknowledging there is anything inappropriate with the battery packs in its electric Leaf. However, a group of owners in Arizona recently tested a perceived acceleration of charge capacity destruction in the battery packs, and found the packs lacking. However, Nissan is still getting back two of the vehicles with the state's lemon law.

Owners do own test

The two Nissan Leaf vehicles were among seven tested by owners in the Phoenix area last week. In the test, the Leaf automobiles, with different mileage and battery capacities, traveled a per-determined route until they ran out of power. The results showed their battery capacity had degraded more easily than the "80 percent remaining capacity after 5 years" claimed by Nissan. The worst made it only 59 miles and had lost more than 60 percent of its charge capacity.

Heat caused it

The issue would not have happened to a Leaf, the owners suggest, though Nissan does not always agree with that. Owners think that the largest problem is the intense heat in the area.

It took a ton of complaints before owners Mason and Andrea Convey could get their 2011 model year Leaf purchased back.

Mason Convey said:

"We're not sure if this is the beginning of their admission that there is an issue, or if this is them trying to quite a few isolated individuals."

Scott Yarosh said his Leaf had to go when he could no longer make even the 45 miles he drives one-way to work each day.

"I had to get rid of it. When I turned my car in, I was only able to get 42 miles on a single charge."

Yarosh was upset when he had to pay $700 for ending his lease early on the car. He believes that Nissan only paid that amount back to keep him quiet:

"I think they're trying to get me to shut up to be honest."

Remarks from Nissan

AutoblogGreen got a statement from Nissan’s David P. Reuters that said the buyback was in good gesture. He spoke specifically of Phoenix proprietors when he said:

"Based on internal data, Leaf customers are some of Nissan's most satisfied worldwide. However, in Phoenix, a small handful of Nissan Leaf customers have complained of gradual battery capacity loss, which is a normal occurrence in battery electric vehicles, is expressly excluded under the vehicle's warranty and can be impacted by extreme heat, high speed, high mileage and charging method and frequency."

A video was shown with Nissan’s Mike Perry that said:

"We've also been very transparent in making sure people know that battery capacity will degrade in very high heat -- for instance, if the vehicles sit out in 110-degree heat for five hours a day."

Considering the problem

It makes sense that people would assume the heat is the problem since the cars are sold without codicil in Phoenix, and the heat in a hot asphalt parking lot can get really bad.

Back