Newbie here

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salukispeed

Bob From south side of Chicago. I have two co-workers that have Nissan leafs and like them. I stopped at the local Ford dealer tonight to see about a FFE. I have a 2009 Focus to look to trade at the same time. The dealer could not even point me in the direction of a Electric qualified dealer . Does anyone have a dealer listing in the Chicago area. I have been riding a converted Motorcycle for three years and appreciate the advantages and have learned to deal with limited range and reliance on opportunity charging

If you go to this site:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/model/2013-Focus

then enter your zip code, it will pick the dealer closest to you

your closest dealer may not be an EV dealer, if not, click "CHANGE DEALER"
and check the "Electric Certified Dealers Only" box. That will show you which dealer is certified to sell EVs.

Some dealers are still in the process of being certified to sell EVs and being added in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the link I will have to drive out to the two delers listed as Electric certified. Around 15 miles away. And see what happens.

I purchased 2013 Focus Electric from Highland Park Ford back in September. A 220 volt 30 amp charging station can be purchased for about $800 (EVlink). You will need to have it installed by electrican.
Nissan did introduce a lower price stripped down version of the Leaf. I didn't get the Leaf because, I didn't want to go driving around with a paper bag over my head. :lol:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203670265&ci_gpa=pla

Happy with my purchase of 2013 FFE in December from Al Piemonte in Melrose Park. It was the first they sold. I believe Fair Oaks(?) in Naperville's sold a few but it was too far from me. I spoke with folks at Rizza and they seemed to know the car fairly well but didn't have the color I was going for. I say this b/c there are many more "EV Certified" Ford dealerships but being EV certified doesn't mean much. At Roesch in Elmhurst and Arlington Heights' Piemonte location, salesmen knew nothing about the car, and wanted to sell me a hybrid even tho I came in asking specifically for the FFE. They didn't know about charging times, standard features, existence of IL state rebate, or details on fed credit for example.
Anyway good luck, hope you find the right car for you! Feel free to message if you have other q's.

salukispeed said:
Bob From south side of Chicago. I have two co-workers that have Nissan leafs and like them. I stopped at the local Ford dealer tonight to see about a FFE. I have a 2009 Focus to look to trade at the same time. The dealer could not even point me in the direction of a Electric qualified dealer . Does anyone have a dealer listing in the Chicago area. I have been riding a converted Motorcycle for three yeyars and appreciate the advantages and have learned to deal with limited range and reliance on opportunity charging

I got mine from Al, at Joe Rizza Ford. He got me the best deal of 2 others I looked at. I live around 35 miles away, but the distance hasn't been a problem so far. When I went round trip, I charged (there) for about an hour, and didn't use freeways.

By the way, this is the best, most fun car I've ever owned!

I have a 27 mile one way trek to work and usually six days a week but oportunity charging while at work is no issue . What kind of recharging times are you seeing on a 50% soc day. Also did Joe Rizza have any on the lot? I am getting quite reved up over being able to justify the cash outlay for an FFE. Does anyone know if it is some sort of requirement to have a Electrician do the 6.6KW charger. I already but in a 60 AMP 220 volt plug in the garage for my welder a few years ago. I looked at buying a Honda civic GX natural gas car but to get the PHill refueling station was stupid expensive with purchase and the cost of a certified installer in Crook county. Last question, Is there some new tax related to electric vehicles I am not aware of. ( rumor here this morning)

54 mile round trip should be no problem unless you live where it gets really cold
I made many 50 mile round trips last summer and always had at least 25 miles left

Where I live (Rochester NY) I had to have an electrician run 240V to my garage and then I just bought the GE charge hung it on the wall and plugged it in. Since you already have 240 with plenty of power your only concern would be they type of plug.

Dan

The Ford charging station uses a NEMA 6-50R socket. This is the same socket that is used be 240 volt welders. It has 3 pins, one of these being the ground pin.

I checked for an on line price to see what happens from Rizza and looks like they have two on the lot. I read that there is a major price reduction of 10,000 bringing the pricing under 30 plus taxes and such. Does anyone know if this is real. I guess I need to go over to the dealer this week since it's only a couple miles away.

Ford is offering $2000 off the purchase price of the car for cash and Ford Credit sales. You can also get a $7500 tax credit on the FFE from federal government.
The $10,000 off is for leased vehicles. Some Ford dealerships are offering very attractive lease deals. I don't know how long these deals are going to last.

Be sure to ask the dealer to register the vehicle with EV plates- Illinois gives a big discount on the registration fee, but I found out about it only after my purchase.

Thanks for all the help and info. I have not leased a car so I am not even up to speed on the pitfalls there. Just want to have a FFE but need to be able to justify the expense.

salukispeed said:
I have a 27 mile one way trek to work and usually six days a week but oportunity charging while at work is no issue . What kind of recharging times are you seeing on a 50% soc day. Also did Joe Rizza have any on the lot? I am getting quite reved up over being able to justify the cash outlay for an FFE. Does anyone know if it is some sort of requirement to have a Electrician do the 6.6KW charger. I already but in a 60 AMP 220 volt plug in the garage for my welder a few years ago. I looked at buying a Honda civic GX natural gas car but to get the PHill refueling station was stupid expensive with purchase and the cost of a certified installer in Crook county. Last question, Is there some new tax related to electric vehicles I am not aware of. ( rumor here this morning)

salukispeed, Charging from 50% will take about 9 or 10 hours, on 120 outlet. The 220's (which I don't have) talk about 3 1/2 hr. or so from empty.

Also, I believe there was a demo there, but I had already tested one.

Regarding rebates, don't know of any new ones, but there is a Federal rebate off your tax "liability" of up to $7500, and IL rebate of $4000.

Hope this helps.

Back