New owner question about displayed range and real world range.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only those 4-wheelin' pickup truck drivers zooming past me at 85 mph on US-131 felt the same about their driving efficiency as you do we would be a bit less close to climate calamity. But not to single out PU's, everybody zooms past me on the highway. (I'm thinking you don't even get on the highway, do you?)
When I go places, I try to avoid the hyways. This ussualy means an extra 5-10 minutes and less miles to boot.

Apparently, you only drive downhill.
Well I live near Charleston SC. 50 miles is no more than 100 foot elevation change in any direction. This was also some sort of anomoly, must have been a strong tail wind or something. I can in many cases get 180-190 watt/hours per mile though. This is mostly going 30 mph and getting all the lights in my favor. Most of the time I get 200-210 watt/hours per mile. There are also rare occasions where I can only get 240 watt/hours and I don't know exactly why. Probably battery heating or cooling going on that I cannot see.

The guess o meter is just that, but after some time it starts to make sense.

Yes it does.

It also helps to understand that it uses your driving history (how you drive and the conditions you were driving in) and that the history is weighted in favour of the most recent use. In other words, your energy consumption during the most recent ten miles of driving count for more than the fifty miles before that, which counts for more than the 200 miles before that.

Yes it does.

It also helps to understand that it uses your driving history (how you drive and the conditions you were driving in) and that the history is weighted in favour of the most recent use. In other words, your energy consumption during the most recent ten miles of driving count for more than the fifty miles before that, which counts for more than the 200 miles before that.
Has that been quantified? I've been considering a long term log of distance and power power use versus the estimate to try and nail down the actual formula. But if someone has already confirmed that, no real need.

Has that been quantified? I've been considering a long term log of distance and power power use versus the estimate to try and nail down the actual formula. But if someone has already confirmed that, no real need.
What is your goal in trying to reverse engineer the prediction algorithm?

Haha ... I may indeed have used thise words owing to my having lived and worked thru the DOS to Windows transition!!

One wildcard in knowing your available range is the actual capacity of your battery pack, given whatever time and usage degradation it's suffered.
Ford's estimate of 115 miles seems to assume usage at a rate of ~290 watt hours per mile. But if your battery has lost 15% of capacity, then at 290 wh/mile, you only get 98 miles of range.

Anyway, have fun!!

Haha ... I may indeed have used thise words owing to my having lived and worked thru the DOS to Windows transition!!

One wildcard in knowing your available range is the actual capacity of your battery pack, given whatever time and usage degradation it's suffered.
Ford's estimate of 115 miles seems to assume usage at a rate of ~290 watt hours per mile. But if your battery has lost 15% of capacity, then at 290 wh/mile, you only get 98 miles of range.

Anyway, have fun!!
It's easy enough to figure your energy capacity using the trip meter, assuming you can't just pull EtE with Forscan. The EPA estimate of 117 miles would be against 29kwh EtE on a new pack, which worked out to ~250Wh/mi.

After my pack swap, I could manage that range on a round trip at ~65mph over most of it, so not really unreasonable.

I have a 2017 with the 33.5kwh battery, EPA rated for 115 mi of range.
What does "EtE" mean (in your post)?
(One source I read stated that the EPA starts with a fully charged battery, let's it sit overnight, then runs its dyno test schedule [either hwy or city] taking the battery to 0% SOC, which nobody wants to do, but applies a "real world" discount of 0.7 to their test figure -- with a 55/45, hwy/city mix-- to arrive at their rating. That implies that the EPA got over 160 miles on their dyno!!)

Back