Possible 2014 FFE purchase, I have questions.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoe317

Hello everyone. I was looking to purchase a 2014 focus used that has 8100 miles on it. I drive to work about 60 miles and am a bit nervous this won't work out. I do have chargers at work, but it isn't guaranteed they won't be open so I would like to assume that I can't use them as opposed to feeling I am entitled to use them everyday.

The reason I am nervous is the GoM. I started out at 70 miles full charge and it quickly dwindled down. I drafted behind a truck almost the whole way to work. I believe I have about 5 miles of highway with 3 lights that always turn red when I approach, then I drive from about exit 261 to 273 of freeway, then about another mile or two through town. Even though I say this, it actually comes out to about 30 miles of driving. It the 30 miles the gauge dropped from 70 to 36 miles.

It says I used 7.6kWh of energy. I see that the battery is supposed to be 23kwh. I don't understand why the battery GoM shows that it went down by 49 percent when it should be close to a 33 percent.

Is there a way to check my overall capacity?

also would like to update any firmware if possible. What is the current version and do I check the current version on the main display settings? (I think I saw it on there, but I was driving so I didn't pay too close of attention.)

I'm am just very hesitant on this purchase because of this, could some people chime in and let me know there experience on this, especially if you have a similar commute. I am in Oregon and is about 36 degrees out. I didn't run my heat at all, only the heated seats because I assumed they take way less energy.

Also on the energy meter I drove as a -4 status, but it said my budget was 40 miles. What is the difference between my budget and the miles that are indicated on the GoM? From my understanding in the manual I think the budget is the next point on the gps that someone set to fill up at, and the -4 I'm guessing is 36-40=-4 meaning I should be left stranded. This is just a guess though.

I understand it's called a GoM for a reason, and that is why I need everyone's help in deciding if this would be a good fit or not.

Side note: It's rough taking an extra 10 minutes plus getting to work by driving really slow. What would happen if I picked up my speed a little bit? It took me 40 mintues to drive 29 miles without traffic and mostly highway/freeway driving :(

I am going back to the dealer around 3pm pst, so any input before then would be much appreciated!

Sorry about the image size, I will have to try and fix that up if possible.

appHubi.jpg

EPLuYuL.jpg

If you can get guaranteed access to a 110v outlet to charge all day at work, then I would say you'll be fine. Even if you only have a level 2 charger at home and don't have access to level 2 chargers at work, that would be enough to leave you some buffer for any side trips on the way home.

If you might not always be able to charge at work, then you should look at the Volt. Or wait for the Bolt to go on sale (hopefully) late this year.

There are a few similar threads on the forum that you could read through as well, like this one.

If it works out, we hope to see you on the forum soon as an owner!

yes: use the nav and tell it you are charging at the destination. When you do that a + status value means you'll get there and a - value means you won't!

Yes your assumption about the status/budget/range is correct: https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/1k-regen-and-the-focus-electrics-mysterious-status-indicator/

Any idea of how many miles I should expect on flat freeway driving (Assuming no heat)?

The reason I would get this car is because I can get it for about 200 a month which is how much I spend in gas on my old civic anyway. Like I said, I can charge at work, but in this situation I am assuming I cannot charge at work. I am just curious from other drivers experience on 60 miles if I can make it to work and back.

And I'm still curious if the vehicle reports back on the integrity of the battery pack, ie how many kwh are left. Like I said it is a used vehicle, I just want to make sure all is in tolerances that it should be in.

Last question is what the latest firmware version is?

Thanks for all the great responses, I can tell that if I go through with the purchase that this is a great community!

jmueller065 said:
yes: use the nav and tell it you are charging at the destination. When you do that a + status value means you'll get there and a - value means you won't!
Except when you're in navigation mode, it's called the "surplus" (since it represents how much extra, hopefully, you'll have after reaching your destination).

When you're not using navigation, it is more-generically called the "status".

If you have workplace charging, even 110 V, you are fine.

Without it, iffy especially in cold weather and when the battery fades, and at highway speeds.

Where are you located? How cold in the winter?

At this point, my car is good for maybe 50 miles on cold Los Angeles days. Yesterday I arrived with 2 kWh remaining after a 35 mile commute at 70 MPH with heater set at 72 F. OAT in the high 40's. Workplace charging is getting to be a struggle as more cars show up and everyone needs more charging. I'm about ready to mothball the FFE until the weather warms up or my employer installs more charging facilities.

To get some measure of battery condition, charge up, reset the trip meter, and run the heater at full blast with the windows open. It takes about three hours, the trip meter will show the usable capacity. We don't know the exact amount, but most estimates are around 19 kWh with a brand new battery, maybe 19.5. in moderate weather Mine is down around 15.5, less when it's cold

joejoe317 said:
Any idea of how many miles I should expect on flat freeway driving (Assuming no heat)?

You will get the advertised miles - 76 - if you go 65mph or less on the freeway.

Slope and cold weather really effects the range. I noticed here in LA I drove 32 miles to a place but had to charge 10 miles on the way back to make it home because it was cold. I was driving about 70mph and had my seat warmers on. I also had a passenger whose weight may have decreased the range

michael said:
At this point, my car is good for maybe 50 miles on cold Los Angeles days. Yesterday I arrived with 2 kWh remaining after a 35 mile commute at 70 MPH with heater set at 72 F. OAT in the high 40's. Workplace charging is getting to be a struggle as more cars show up and everyone needs more charging. I'm about ready to mothball the FFE until the weather warms up or my employer installs more charging facilities.

What range did you get in warmer weather?

damania said:
joejoe317 said:

You will get the advertised miles - 76 - if you go 65mph or less on the freeway.

Slope and cold weather really effects the range. I noticed here in LA I drove 32 miles to a place but had to charge 10 miles on the way back to make it home because it was cold. I was driving about 70mph and had my seat warmers on. I also had a passenger whose weight may have decreased the range

Thats not bad, thanks for the info. According to my screenshot do I have a good kwh avg?

joejoe317 said:
Thats not bad, thanks for the info. According to my screenshot do I have a good kwh avg?

The -4 means you were 4 miles less efficient than the estimate which is excellent for freeway driving. So you range is 72 instead of 76. (Actually it's the number you have now + the amount used - 4)

joejoe317 said:
It says I used 7.6kWh of energy. I see that the battery is supposed to be 23kwh. I don't understand why the battery GoM shows that it went down by 49 percent when it should be close to a 33 percent.
It is true that the total battery capacity is 23 kWh. But, you will never be able to use all of this.

With a brand-new FFE under ideal conditions, the actual usable battery capacity is around 19 kWh.

The protect the battery, it is never discharged to lower than about 10% of the total capacity, nor charged to more than just over 90% of the total capacity. So, what is left is just over 80% of the total capacity, which works out to about 19 kWh.

joejoe317 said:

258 Wh/mile is pretty good. The EPA estimate is assuming better as this translates into about 70 miles of range. The battery pack only has about 18+kWh usable.

60 Mile round trip every day would be tough without workplace charging or unless you live somewhere with very moderate temps all year round.

Did you get the car?

Stretch2727 said:
joejoe317 said:

258 Wh/mile is pretty good. The EPA estimate is assuming better as this translates into about 70 miles of range. The battery pack only has about 18+kWh usable.

60 Mile round trip every day would be tough without workplace charging or unless you live somewhere with very moderate temps all year round.

Did you get the car?

Yes, I got the car! I have level 2 chargers at work, so it will be fine, however it's not guaranteed that I can get a spot. I mean I can pretty much guarantee I can charge there, but I just was planning for worst case scenario. I start work at 6am, well before anyone else, but my hours might be changing soon.

Knowing that between 18 and 19 kWh is the capacity is great, that is the exact information I was looking for.

I used 7.6 on the way there, but that was me driving really slow behind trucks and watching the energy meter.

joejoe317 said:
Yes, I got the car! I have level 2 chargers at work, so it will be fine, however it's not guaranteed that I can get a spot. I mean I can pretty much guarantee I can charge there, but I just was planning for worst case scenario. I start work at 6am, well before anyone else, but my hours might be changing soon.

Knowing that between 18 and 19 kWh is the capacity is great, that is the exact information I was looking for.

I used 7.6 on the way there, but that was me driving really slow behind trucks and watching the energy meter.

If I may ask, what was the purchase price?

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

Yeah no problem. It was a 2014 with 8k miles, I purchased the vehicle for about $13,300. I put down a grand and financed $12,300. A local credit union considered it new still and also had a discount of .3% since it was a pure ev. My rate ended up being 1.69% I was really happy with this considering it was a used vehicle (barely). On the carfax it ended up being a lease.

Overall I am pretty happy with the purchase.

On a side note, I did some random calculation (battery drained around 46% and I used 8.2kwh of energy) and it seems like the amount available in the battery pack would be around somewhere around 17.4kwh and 17.8kwh (winter time anyway) around 44 degrees.

joejoe317 said:
On a side note, I did some random calculation (battery drained around 46% and I used 8.2kwh of energy) and it seems like the amount available in the battery pack would be around somewhere around 17.4kwh and 17.8kwh (winter time anyway) around 44 degrees.
Yes, the capacity should go up in warmer weather.

joejoe317 said:

Thought this was a good read regarding your point. It used to be EV owners getting "ICE'd" at charging stations, now it's become a battle between Leaf vs Tesla vs Spark EV vs FFE. Not enough places to charge given the ratio is about 1 plug-in for every 10 EV's. Chevy Spark EV's leases for as low as $79 per month certainly won't help the problem. Could be an idea for a new reality show. "All-new episodes of Charge Wars...electricity is in the air and the sparks really fly. Tuesdays at 9...only on A&E".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/science/in-california-electric-cars-outpace-plugs-and-sparks-fly.html?_r=1

oilerlord said:
joejoe317 said:

Thought this was a good read regarding your point. It used to be EV owners getting "ICE'd" at charging stations, now it's become a battle between Leaf vs Tesla vs Spark EV vs FFE. Not enough places to charge given the ratio is about 1 plug-in for every 10 EV's. Chevy Spark EV's leases for as low as $79 per month certainly won't help the problem. Could be an idea for a new reality show. "All-new episodes of Charge Wars...electricity is in the air and the sparks really fly. Tuesdays at 9...only on A&E".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/science/in-california-electric-cars-outpace-plugs-and-sparks-fly.html?_r=1

Exactly right about future charger wars. Most places that offer chargers have 2 only in my area. Usually there is a open spot but I can see it being a problem someday soon.

Back