New owner long island

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oppiefive

Good day to all...
I will be purchasing a "new" 2013 FFE leftover with zero miles. Live on southshore LI, and have a 15 mile commute. I have a few questions, i know that the car comes with a level 1 charging unit..i am going to assume that i need a level 2 at home..what is easy and resonable in cost?

If i need a boost during my travels, what do i need to carry ?. Does anyone have experience with charging stations on long island? Curious to know about NYC?

Using electric rates on long island, has anyone figured average cost/mile?

I guess my last question is, if i sell my car in 1-2 years, what happens to my tax credit?

Thanks in advance from everyone

Peter

Oppiefive said:
Good day to all...
I will be purchasing a "new" 2013 FFE leftover with zero miles. Live on southshore LI, and have a 15 mile commute. I have a few questions, i know that the car comes with a level 1 charging unit..i am going to assume that i need a level 2 at home..what is easy and resonable in cost?

If i need a boost during my travels, what do i need to carry ?. Does anyone have experience with charging stations on long island? Curious to know about NYC?

Using electric rates on long island, has anyone figured average cost/mile?

I guess my last question is, if i sell my car in 1-2 years, what happens to my tax credit?

Thanks in advance from everyone

Peter
Nothing happens to the tax credit if you sell the car.

What's your electric rate? Does your utility offer special EV rates?

To use public L2 chargers you don't need any hardware. You may need an RFID card to operate the stations. Plugshare is a great app to see EVSE units in your area. ChargePoint will send you their cards for free when you create an account. We have only used free stations so far so ChargePoint has not charged our credit card.

Thanks for the reply..We are at .21kwh..Would also like to get some input on a 220v charging station..any recomnedations?

Peter

Oppiefive said:
Thanks for the reply..We are at .21kwh..Would also like to get some input on a 220v charging station..any recomnedations?

Peter
The EPA rating is 256 Wh/mi IIRC. Multiply 0.256 times $0.21 to calculate your cost per mile based on the EPA rating. Once you have a baseline for your personal rate of consumption after a few months of ownership you can multiply your personalized Wh/mi rate times your electricity cost. Remember that the EPA rating factors in the charging losses. The Wh/mi reported by the car does not count charging losses.

If you are looking for recommendations for Level 2 chargers, you'll find lots of opinions here. At the moment you can't go wrong with just about any of them (although I wouldn't recommend the Bosch PowerXpress).

Clipper Creek makes some good products.
The Juicebox works well if you want low cost (really cheap if you build it yourself).
The Turbocord is quite flexible.

There are others.

The EPA rating is 256 Wh/mi IIRC. Multiply 0.256 times $0.21 to calculate your cost per mile based on the EPA rating. Once you have a baseline for your personal rate of consumption after a few months of ownership you can multiply your personalized Wh/mi rate times your electricity cost. Remember that the EPA rating factors in the charging losses. The Wh/mi reported by the car does not count charging losses.

I believe that is incorrect: 256 is the efficiency the car would need to report, not including charging losses, to drive the EPA stated 76 mile range. I believe 310 Wh/mi is the wall-to-wheels EPA number you should be using to guess how much you'll be spending on electricity. I might be off a bit; it'll be listed somewhere on the car's Monroney sticker.

So if it's 310, you'll spend $0.065 per mile at your electric rate. $0.21 is about three times the electric flat rate I pay in Chicago. Does your utility have demand/time of day/ EV plans? Could save you decent money if you don't need to use a lot of power at peak times. Charge at $0.05/kWh and you're only spending $0.016 per mile. In 10,000 miles you save $490! Of course if you end up paying way more for unavoidable peak electricity usage in your home, it might not be worth it. Many utilities have calculators on their websites to see if these plans could save you money.

dmen said:
I believe that is incorrect: 256 is the efficiency the car would need to report, not including charging losses, to drive the EPA stated 76 mile range. I believe 310 Wh/mi is the wall-to-wheels EPA number you should be using to guess how much you'll be spending on electricity. I might be off a bit; it'll be listed somewhere on the car's Monroney sticker.
You're correct, and pretty close. The actual number is 320 Wh/mile.

You got great answers to most of your questions.

Installing the charger in your house - nobody can tell you what is reasonable or fair. Every house is different. The cost goes up if you have a detached garage, need more service into your house, the 220V outlet is far away, complicated finished walls with no access --- it goes on and on. My advice to you, find two electricians to give you quotes to install the unit.

Check to see if NY has rebates for installing a charging station. If they don't, then you might want to consider getting a more portable charger and installing an outlet.

Hybridbear got you started on the charging in the wild deal - plugshare.com is your best friend. You should sign up at Chargepoint.com with an account (you have to deposit $20 to open the account - if you use a charger that costs something, that is debited from the $20). I think Blink might even be in NY - I saw something about that in another forum - get one of their cards.

You might be overthinking cost per mile. Dmen and I live in the Chicago area and our electric rate is a lot lower than yours. However, in the almost 1 year I've had the FFE, I almost can't see a difference in my electric bill - there was always so much variation with air conditioning and other nonsense. At most $20 a month increase is all I'm seeing. That compared to over $300 in gasoline. The savings were so big, I didn't mess with time of day electricity.

To find out about time of day charging, you'll need to visit your electric company website or call them. If NY has secondary electrical vendors - they won't do that time of day. You have to contact or look at the primary supplier of electricity.

Good luck.

Speaking of TOD charging and electricity bills. Here in Michigan we have an "experimental electric vehicle" TOD rate with the car on its own meter.
By charging 99% of the time over night my EV bills have ranged from a low of $27/month (July, August) to a high of about $50/month (January, February). So far I'm averaging about 950 miles a month on the FFE.
Thus: Yeah I can see how one wouldn't notice the increase in their electricity bill from the FFE..it really isn't that much (considering I was paying $250+ a month in gas before the FFE).

dmen said:

So if it's 310, you'll spend $0.065 per mile at your electric rate. $0.21 is about three times the electric flat rate I pay in Chicago. Does your utility have demand/time of day/ EV plans? Could save you decent money if you don't need to use a lot of power at peak times. Charge at $0.05/kWh and you're only spending $0.016 per mile. In 10,000 miles you save $490! Of course if you end up paying way more for unavoidable peak electricity usage in your home, it might not be worth it. Many utilities have calculators on their websites to see if these plans could save you money.
Thank you! I knew I had the 256 Wh/mi number in my head for some reason!

Back