New FFE buyer with questions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
campfamily said:
hybridbear said:
campfamily said:
My experience with extended warranties (twice so far, once through Dodge and the second through Nissan) was that, whatever broke, it wasn't covered. The only time my extended warranty helped was when the exhaust manifolds on my Nissan Armada cracked; then, it turned out that they would have been covered anyway under the California Emissions Warranty.
So then the extended warranty didn't matter that time either...

Exactly my point.....so far, extended warranties have not been a good investment for me. For that reason, I have not purchased them since.....

They would not offer them if they always lost money. So on average the average purchaser must lose money on these warranties.

I see this as insurance. Pay $1,000 to possibly save $5,000+ in the future should more than a couple repairs pop up over 8 years of ownership. Medical insurance like this, Catastrophic Insurance Plans, seems to be getting popular and is very similar in concept.

Despite what we all think as simple systems compared to gas cars, this is relatively new and complicated technology. How many of our electronics last for 8 years without problems? This car is full to the brim with electronics.

I would not buy warranties for Japanese cars but have heard a bunch of stories from friends with Fords that make me cringe on how much they are paying to repair their cars.

Especially on a leased car if you are keeping it past the new car warranty expiration. You can be stuck paying to fix a car that you will soon be turning back. The next owner won't even thank you.

Lemon Head said:
In a few days I will be picking up a 2013 FFE. After doing lots of research, the car has nearly zero maintenance cost. But things can go wrong with the car. The 3 years is almost up on the manufacturer's warranty and dealerships love to sell you things. Is an extended warranty necessary?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? We've got 18 months left on our 2013 lease and curious as to how much less than our residual you may have gotten the car for.

Back