Need help with the cars cell number....

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerstrokeNC

So if I understand this correctly the car is using a cellular connection to communicate the my Ford mobile info... So here in lies my problem, I get really weak cell service at my house. The minute you pull in the garage you drop the call.

So communication with the FFE is spotty at best if not impossible on most days.

To combat this problem for our cell phones I have the in house 'micro cell' which I have added all my friends and family numbers too and solved that problem.

So if I can find out the "phone number" of the car I could add it and fix my comm problem.

Any ideas on how to find the car#?

BTW I am assuming the car is on the AT&T network since all other carriers work fine at my house...

Thanks for the input, well that confirms why I am having the problem then....something Ford should think about is giving us the number....

Also the car should have an option to jump over to WiFi if avail for data, the same as our cellphones do. I setup the wireless networking in the car to connect on my home network in the hopes it would get better data transfer but no luck.
It would be in Fords best interest I would think to jump you over to WiFi when avail to limit data on the cell networks and therefore the amount the carrier can charge them...

We need software updates! :lol:

Well it's been over a week now and no word from Ford or the dealer. Everybody understood what I needed but actually getting the number has proved to be difficult. I am sure as more of these get sold I will not be the only one who will have this problem....

I do not think it has a phone number. I would think it is more like a wifi card type of thing. I have not played with it much but i think there is a way to sync it up to your home router. I played with it when i fist got mine and did notice it was able to find my router when i pulled into the garage. Microcell would not do anything if im right.

I didn't see anything about a cell phone. I did see data. It may have a BAN associated with it, ,
"billing account number", but do not see a reason why they would give it a cell number. Everything it needs would be sent through data not a cell number......right? I'm just saying if the reason you want the "number" is to make it work with your micro cell I don't think it will Solve your issue. Micro cells send your cell calls over the Internet kinda like a VOIP. I don't think the data is sent over he cell call.

Well ok if you want to be technical: It has a device that puts the vehicle on the cellular network for communication (a wireless modem similar to
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/sierrawireless/att-beam-black.html#fbid=X5EVhGgacTy
)

So I don't think getting a number from Ford Or AT&T would do much. I guess the solution for this issue would be to see if there is a way to link and get updates or status info through your home wifi/Internet.

The car, indeed, does not have a cell number. While it is true it is using AT&T for cellular communication, it's communicating the same way a cellular alarm system would with the carrier (like AlarmNet). It uses what is called GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), which is ultra-low speed data packet communication over GSM technology.

Back