MyFordMobile update

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

My Ford Mobile on my Android phone got an update yesterday:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/a-new-myfordmobile/

TL;DR version: Its prettier but still has all the bugs/missing info as before.

I updated my iOS devices last night. The new app is much slower to open initially to ask for my passcode. The new user interface is nice. They also made the mobile app now show the entire trip & charge log. It also shows the last three trips for key personalization like the website, instead of just one. My trip & charge log is still missing the Wh/mi 100% of the time and the brake score or driving score about 40% of the time.

What bugs are you seeing?

hybridbear said:
What bugs are you seeing?
New bugs:
* When I initially installed, it asked if wanted to set a passcode. I clicked yes, but it didn't prompt me to enter it (just did nothing). I had to repeat this process about five times before I was finally allowed to set it. Bad initial experience.
* Possibly related, when I launch the app now, it often just sits there blank and doesn't ask me to verify my passcode. I usually restart, or just wait for it to finally prompt.
* The station finder shows all stations as out-of-range (red icons) no matter what your SOC. (Plus, the station icons are still aligned to some kind of coarse grid, so they often obscure each other.)

New annoyances:
* Home screen layout is stoopid. Everything is now tiny with lots of empty space. The old layout, with larger elements, was much more pleasant to use.
* Estimated range used to be shown on the battery (matching the displays in the car and the current MFM website). Now, range is shown at the bottom of the screen (which just seems pointlessly inconsistent).
* No clearly-marked way to update the home screen... apparently you just poke at it until "Update in progress" appears at the top of the screen? (Or, it is just updating by itself on its own schedule?)
* EDIT: It's not obvious, but you can swipe down anywhere on the home screen to manually update. I may have just been accidentally swiping when my "poking" made it update before.
* I do like the remote controls on the home screen, but feedback when using them is poor. (Not that the old app was much better, but the new one is worse.)
* In general, there is lots of white fonts on light backgrounds... low contrast, hard to read.
* Scrolling certain lists makes dark and light elements swap shades as they move between the bottom and top of the screen. This is slightly disorienting (unless you realize what is happening) and just seems like very odd UI design.
* The trip & charge log no longer graphically shows the portion of the battery consumed or charged. Just shows final SOC for each charge and the kW used for each trip, but only as numbers and not also visually as the portion of the battery charged/drained. (The log on the MFM website still graphically shows the portion charged/drained.) Plus, in the app, the charge icon is just a square now? (It used to be a plug.)

Existing annoyances:
* The trip & charge log still does not show average efficiency for each trip. (Way back when the old app used to show it for me, then it broke.)
* Car locator still uses crummy map that doesn't support touch zoom and scroll. (2005 called, they want their map back.)

The good:
* As I said, I do like the new remote controls placement.
* The app is a bit easier to navigate.
* Trip & charge log now shows more than two entries.

Final note... the shiny 3D battery graphic (obviously taken from the old app) sort of looks out-of-place now within the overall flat, monochromatic design of the new app. The old app had a more consistent look, and seemed more polished visually. The new app kinda looks "amateurish" to me.

I got the android app update this week too.
I too noticed there is no manual "Update" feature now - thats a big loss in my opinion, since I can't be sure if the data I'm seeing is current or not.
I also noticed the improved history for trips and charges.
If they put the Update feature back in that would be good.

NightHawk said:
I too noticed there is no manual "Update" feature now - thats a big loss in my opinion, since I can't be sure if the data I'm seeing is current or not.
I just discovered that there is actually still a manual update feature in the iOS app...

Swipe down anywhere on the home screen. "Update in progress" will appear.

They sure made the feature non-obvious.

jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
That is common with a bunch of phone apps--at least on Android.

Like mail: swipe down and it checks for new mail.
Yeah (which is why it occurred to me to try), but most apps somehow indicate that swiping will update, and there is usually some kind of animation when you swipe.

In iOS, too, the mail app has a similar feature, but there is animated feedback when you swipe.

The swipe to update feature is completely hidden is this crap... I mean, app.

jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
That is common with a bunch of phone apps--at least on Android.

Like mail: swipe down and it checks for new mail.

Yep I happened to discover that myself today with the android app.
Swipe down initiated a manual update with a notification bar indicating this at the top of the screen.
Yep, thats how the android Gmail app works for a manual email update check.
It would help though if Ford released some instructions to go with their app for these "hidden" features...

Just realized...

In the new app, you can no longer click on the battery to see an estimate of the full range (if you were to charge) at any time, like you could in the old app (and still can with the MFM website).

Plus, when charging, you can no longer click on the battery to see an estimate of the range at, and approximate time to reach, each "quarter" of the SOC (25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%), like you could in the old app (and still can with the MFM website).

I found these displays quite useful, or at least informative.

*sigh*

WattsUp said:
Just realized...

In the new app, you can no longer click on the battery to see an estimate of the full range (if you were to charge) at any time, like you could in the old app (and still can with the MFM website).

Plus, when charging, you can no longer click on the battery to see an estimate of the range at, and approximate time to reach, each "quarter" of the SOC (25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%), like you could in the old app (and still can with the MFM website).

I found these displays quite useful, or at least informative.

*sigh*

Yes - I also miss that great info on the new app!

I will agree with everything Wattsup posted of the issues. I wish there was a way to go back & not update. I updated my iPad first & when the app seemed to work there I let my iPhone update. I am wishing that my iPhone hadn't updated. I warned my mom not to let her iPhone update & so far she is still using the old version.

The biggest issue I have is that everything works more slowly in the new app. It takes forever to open & prompt for my passcode. It takes forever to add a Go Time. It takes forever to process. However, the slowness may relate to the fact that I have an old iPhone 5s. My mom's new iPad Pro 9.7 inch updated automatically to the new app and her iPad does not have any of the slowness that I have on my phone. It might be that the new app requires more RAM and my old iPhone 5s is thus slow.

Well here is an interesting, um, feature of the new software.

Went to a movie and plugged my C-Max into a charger (sorry guys; having driven a BEV I always feel a little guilty using a public charger knowing that I could be taking up the spot from someone who really needs it instead of me being a lowly PHEV driver now LOL--there was two "stalls" and the 2nd one was still empty when we left).

Back to my story: During the preshow I pull up MFM to check the car's charge and:
alerterror.jpg

Really!? Wow

WattsUp said:
jmueller065 said:
Really!? Wow
Hahahaha... maybe it's meant to be read medieval style...

"Hark, who goes there?"

"It is I, Error. Error goes here!"
Hahaha that was great!!

I have to say that I absolutely hate the new MFM app. It doesn't update automatically anymore. What I mean is, with the old app when opening it you wouldn't see the status from the last time you opened the app while it connected to update, you'd see the last status pushed from the car. Anytime the car changed states (turn on, turn off, begin charging, stop charging, begin remote start, end remote start, remotely lock/unlock, etc) it would push an update to MFM & that info is what would display in the app while it connected to get current data. Now, the app shows & sits on the data from the last time you used the app. This is really annoying as I'd often just open the app & close it without waiting for it to update because I just needed to confirm that last status. It was also helpful that the app would briefly show when that status was last updated before switching to say "updating data" and if you needed to know how long ago that status was from you could switch over to the remote part of the app which would still show the number of minutes ago. This was very useful when I would be remote starting and checking to see if the 15 minutes had timed out. I could open the app & immediately switch to the remote tab to check how long until the car would turn off. If it said "car will shut off in 15 minutes" & "updated 10 minutes ago" then I knew immediately that I had 5 minutes of remote start remaining without having to wait for the app to update. I've also found that the new app is very poor at tracking the remote start timing. It is basically useless for this function. Since remote starting is a function that I use well more than a dozen times per week this is a major pain.

I was sad to be nearing the end of my lease, but with the destruction of MFM I now can't wait to get rid of the FFE in favor of another EV that has a working mobile app...

Back