My car was damaged today

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper7821

Was having a new windshield put in through insurance and Safelite was removing the old one and the wire got caught and ripped through part of the car.
I just got the car back 2 days ago with the SSN fix and I was going to stop there again today after work because now my auto headlights do not work.
But looks like it's getting towed to Ford instead.

Man, what's next with this car. Out of the 4 months I've had it it's had about 20 SSN's issues and other little things and been in the shop about 5 times.

Safelite repair Safelite replace! I always thought that the jingle was backwards, now I know that, indeed, they replace something AFTER they repair.

But what wire would do that damage. And how much of a pull did the service guy have to do in order to rip out the FFE's innards?

Eeesh, sorry you suffered that damage. I guess they use some glass-removal machine that, if something goes slightly askew, has enough power to slice through metal? :shock:

Hopefully... the glass place is going to pay for what they did?

Here's photos of the passenger side.

How he did it was put a wire around the windshield after removing the plastic trim and wipers. Then the wire goes through to the inside and two spools were suction cupped to the inside of the window and he put a crank on the spool and started turning the cranks and the wire pulls to the inside and that's how it slices the window off from the car.
I said that looked really cool and an easy way to remove the glass and then I went back into my office.
I walked out ten minutes later and said how's it going and he said not good and showed me the damage and I about crapped my pants.
The wire got stuck on a metal tab and he didn't know and kept cranking the spool.
The car was towed to the Ford dealer and Safelite got me a rental and Ford said they can repair it in about 3 days.
So I should get the car back next week and since Ford is doing the repair, returning the car after the lease is no big deal.
One interesting thing they told me when I asked if I would get dinged since this would be a reported on Car Fax would there be a problem returning the lease.
He said most every dealer and repair shop do not report anything at all to Car Fax unless there's major structural damage or water damage or if the owner requests it to be reported which never happens.
So basically looking to see if a used car has a clean Car Fax doesn't mean squat.

Jasper7821 said:
So basically looking to see if a used car has a clean Car Fax doesn't mean squat.
All that would really make a difference is if the car was in a major collision. Your damage is very minor. On the other hand, I can rather easily tell if a car has been repainted even from minor collision damage. (Although I have to admit, I wouldn't be able to detect hidden damage such as yours.) There are always tell-tale masking marks or slight paint distinctions on a repaint. You just have to know how to find them. I wouldn't take a CarFax over what I can see with my own eyes.

Also, if I can tell from your extreme close-ups, his pulling on the "tabs" might have caused the entire window seating area to buckle or warp slightly. I would point out to Ford repair that the windshield needs to seat level throughout where it sits on the frame. Otherwise there will be gaps in between the window and frame. This may take more work than they think. If the frame has been lifted up by the wire cranking, they will have to hammer the frame evenly down around where the window seats.

unplugged said:
Jasper7821 said:
All that would really make a difference is if the car was in a major collision. Your damage is very minor. On the other hand, I can rather easily tell if a car has been repainted even from minor collision damage. (Although I have to admit, I wouldn't be able to detect hidden damage such as yours.) There are always tell-tale masking marks or slight paint distinctions on a repaint. You just have to know how to find them. I wouldn't take a CarFax over what I can see with my own eyes.

Also, if I can tell from your extreme close-ups, his pulling on the "tabs" might have caused the entire window seating area to buckle or warp slightly. I would point out to Ford repair that the windshield needs to seat level throughout where it sits on the frame. Otherwise there will be gaps in between the window and frame. This may take more work than they think. If the frame has been lifted up by the wire cranking, they will have to hammer the frame evenly down around where the window seats.

Yes, that's what I was worried about. I don't want to get on the freeway and hear a little whistle of air and complain about it and Ford says the window company needs to fix it and the window company says the Ford needs to fix it.
I was assured that everything would be repaired to new condition and there will be zero air leaks.

Jasper7821 said:
So I should get the car back next week and since Ford is doing the repair returning the car after the lease is no big deal.
Good move! That worked for me, had the Toyota dealer do an $18K collision repair on a $29K Sienna minivan (1 week old!). They did a stellar job, and I had no problems at all turning it in three years later.

This really sucks, Jasper... I sure hope the rest of your lease is trouble-free.

Back