Mental note: Buy a car with a spare tire next time!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmaluo said:
It does state in the manual that the use of the sealant WILL damage the TPMS and only to use it in an emergency. The TPMS part was $100 and an additional $100 to install.
With free towing, I never intended to handle my own flat. I would suggest that it is far easier (unless you are truly in the desert) to get a tow to the nearest tire or Ford store.

That's sad Ford isn't covering the replacement.

TPMS at Tire Rack - $128 for a set of 4. Tool to reset the sensors $45. That's an incredibly high price chez Ford - $100 for one sensor (versus $32). At the very least, save $55, reset the sensor yourself.

We have two EV's. One is the LEAF and the other is the Ford Focus Electric. When we got the cars, I bought a spare wheel for each of them on eBay along with a TPMS. The wheels are about $150 each on eBay if you look for them. The TPMS are about $20 each.

I bought the tires from Tire Rack. I selected the Yokohama Avid tires for the spare and figured when it came time to replace the OEM tires at 15,000-20,000 miles that I also would replace them with the Yokohama AVIDS since they should last over 40,000 miles. The tires are about $110 each.

The local tire store mounted and balanced the tires on the wheels for $20 per tire. Since I first did this in 2012, my wife has managed to get two non fixable flat tires on the LEAF. That spare came in handy and I had to order another tire just 3 months after we got the car.

The LEAF tires did get replaced at a bit less than 20,000 miles with the Yokohama Avids. I also had to order another spare tire to replace the recently non fixable LEAF tire. I keep the spare tires in my garage and both times the tire was flat at my house. I always figured that since these cars will never be more than 80 miles from home, I can always deliver a tire from my garage to where ever the car is disabled.

The only real surprise was when I attempted to change the flat tire on the LEAF and found out that it did not have a jack. It was 2AM and I called Nissan Roadside Service and they came out and changed it.

The Ford Focus did have one flat tire, but it was repairable. Ford Roadside Service came out and changed it. I took the tire with the hole in it to the tire store and they fixed it and re-mounted it on the car. The spare was put back in the garage.

Anyway, a bit of planning can save you a few bucks and a whole lot of time.

JOEFRIDAY said:
Since I first did this in 2012, my wife has managed to get two non fixable flat tires on the LEAF.
The Ford Focus did have one flat tire, but it was repairable.
Geez, JoeFriday, where do you live? A construction site? I haven't had a flat in 8 or more years....

unplugged said:
JOEFRIDAY said:
Since I first did this in 2012, my wife has managed to get two non fixable flat tires on the LEAF.
Geez, JoeFriday, where do you live? A construction site? I haven't had a flat in 8 or more years....

These low rolling resistance tires they're putting on EVs don't seem to be very durable.

WattsUp said:
I have had one puncture (an inch-long screw) in one of my FFE tires. But, I was able to repair it using the DynaPlug kit that I keep in my FFE glovebox
Here are some photos of my puncture repair.

The bastard screw sitting atop the whole tire (for perspective):

A closer shot of the repaired puncture site (just about in the center of the photo):

The "wetness" is from water I used to check for air bubbles. The "bushy" stuff in the middle of the puncture site is the end of the DynaPlug cord (which is something like heavy yarn dipped in black goo). In this photo, I've already trimmed it down to the tread surface. Immediately after insertion, there was about 1 inch of extra cord sticking out.

I carry a plug kit too. I know some people don't like them, but I've been successful 100% of the time. It takes a bit of effort to use it, so don't depend on it In an emergency until you've done it in you re driveway.

davideos said:
I carry a plug kit too. I know some people don't like them, but I've been successful 100% of the time. It takes a bit of effort to use it, so don't depend on it In an emergency until you've done it in you re driveway.
Yeah, in a way, I'm sorta glad I had the "low risk" puncture situation that I did, and got to try out my DynaPlug.

unplugged said:
JOEFRIDAY said:

I haven't had a flat tire in over 20 years up until the time we got these EV's. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with 140,000 miles and it has never had a flat. Same thing with a Toyota Camry with 51,000 miles.

The low profile rubber tires that they put on the EV's seem to be more puncture prone for some reason. I had some low profile type tires on two 350z's and never had a flat. Maybe the rubber was better.

Anyway, it just pays to plan ahead for a flat tire with the EV's.

Joe

JOEFRIDAY said:
The low profile soft rubber tires that they put on the EV's seem to be more puncture prone for some reason.
It isn't soft, on the contrary, the tires on the FFE are some of the hardest rubber on a tire available. That is why they are low-rolling resistance: They don't deform as much and thus don't waste energy generating heat as the rubber deforms.

The hard compound also makes them have less traction as they aren't as "sticky" as other tires. Consequently you won't be laying down any burn marks from them either LOL.

jmueller065 said:
JOEFRIDAY said:
...Consequently you won't be laying down any burn marks from them either LOL.

Actually, the hard compound makes it quite easy to spin the tires. I've only had my Electric Focus a few days now, but the few times I've tried to move out quickly I broke traction due to the hard compound.

20k miles seems mighty short for tire life - esp for hard compound tires. My diesel Excursion got over 80k miles on the factory tires - and that is one heavy beast.

TexaCali said:
20k miles seems mighty short for tire life - esp for hard compound tires. My diesel Excursion got over 80k miles on the factory tires - and that is one heavy beast.

I have 19K miles on mine - mostly freeway. Only aggression they are exposed to are on-ramps and off-ramps. They look almost new.

v_traveller said:
TexaCali said:

I have 19K miles on mine - mostly freeway. Only aggression they are exposed to are on-ramps and off-ramps. They look almost new.

Good to know - that is what I would expect. FWIW the replacement tires on my truck are rated for 100k miles! Not sure if my FFE tires will last quite that long, but I expect they should provide many miles of service.

If my FFE wasn't leased, I'd invest in some run-flat tires for piece of mind, even though I'd probably lose a few miles in range.

JOEFRIDAY said:
I bought the tires from Tire Rack. I selected the Yokohama Avid tires for the spare and figured when it came time to replace the OEM tires at 15,000-20,000 miles that I also would replace them with the Yokohama AVIDS since they should last over 40,000 miles. The tires are about $110 each.
Why would the Michelin Energy Saver tires on the Focus Electric only last 15-20k miles?

hybridbear said:
Why would the Michelin Energy Saver tires on the Focus Electric only last 15-20k miles?
Good question. The tire wear rating on the Michelin is 220 if I remember correctly. Few tires that you would want to drive on have that high of a number.

hybridbear said:
JOEFRIDAY said:

I was referring to the Bridgestone Ecopia Tires that came on the LEAF which proved to be 20,000 mile tires.

The Michelins on the FFE look like they will go longer.

The UTQG rating on the Bridgestone Ecopia is 400.

The UTQG rating on the Michelins is 480.

The UTQG rating on the Yokohama AVID Ascend is 740.

The higher the UTQG rating--the more miles the tire is supposed to last.

Joe

Back