Loosing Battery Capacity?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahWCU

I'm new and I did search for this issue before posting (I apologize if I missed it somewhere).

The last two days my FFE seems to have lost battery capacity. I am able to charge at work and get a full charge before I leave everyday. Yesterday, I got home and the MFT screen said I was at 38% charge in the battery, and my drive for my commute said I used 10.1 kWh of power. This equates to a battery capacity of 16.3 kWH (10.1@62% = 16.3@100%). This morning at work the MFT screen said the battery was at 56% and I used 7.6 kWH. This equates to a battery capacity of 17.3 kWh (7.6@44% = 17.3@100%). And when I started this morning the GOM said I had 63 miles of range, the lowest I have seen it. No heat on. Should I be concerned? Or am I misunderstanding something?

NOTE: a little bit of info:

I charge at home using the Premium JuiceBox Level 2
I charge at work using the 120v level 1 cord that came with the vehicle.
Car is in unheated basement garage at home, outside at work.
I precondition at home in the mornings using GO Times.
It has been COLD here in NC the last few days. I know that the range will shorten using the HVAC to heat the cabin, but this isn't about range.
FFE has less than 2000 miles on it.

And YES I realize I posted this in the Wrong location (should have been under the Battery and Charging discussion). Sorry I though that is where I was. :oops:

Thanks!!! I read through it. Basically the jest of the thread is that this is normal. Like the trip computer in my CMax, the calculations might be off slightly AND the lower temps (even though the battery has TMS) effect battery capacity. It should go back to what I think of as "normal" when the outside temperature comes back up.

BTW, LOVE your blog. Read every entry when I decided to get a FFE. GREAT source of information.

If you want to talk about loosing battery capacity you should head over to the Nissan Leaf forum. :lol:

One more thing to consider is that the energy used in Remote Starting the vehicle is not included in your trip meter's kWh tally, so that could also cause it to look like battery capacity is down if you don't take it into account. i know you didn't say whether you used remote start at work, or Go Times for that matter, but both would use up some of your battery's stored energy to preheat if you are plugged in to 120v at work. Of course the starting percentage would be <100, so if you had that screen open it would be obvious.

The battery can hold less energy when cold. Check out this thread from the Fusion Energi Forum. It contains great information about just how much capacity is lost to cold. The Focus Electric likely sees similar behavior.
http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1683-obd-ii-data-for-hvb/

Back